-
Posts
138 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by TCR
-
Yeah I understand that logic, but if I was to spend $5K on brakes, $5K on a body kit, interior upgrades ?? it all starts to add up. Then when I go to sell it in 18 months - 2 years time it's not worth anymore than a standard T, maybe even less?
-
Copping a hiding in the FPV section at the moment so I thought I'd come and hide in here for a while Looking forward to the cruise, hopefully the weather gods are kind to us.
-
Well thanks for your vote I know a T can be made as good or better than an FPV for less money, but I don't want a highly modified car (ie tune, brakes, suspension, wheels, exhaust, intercooler)
-
Ah f**k why didn't I think of that
-
Now now, option A) is $20K for a BFII Phoon and it needs to be an 07 model with less than 20,000Ks, well cared for and unmolested
-
I already know that Should I have another option: D) Keep the car you've got, you dead set tripper!
-
Ok, as my previous post had focused on the R-Spec, I thought I'd start a new one based on my dilemma. I currently have an 05 BF XR6T with 57,000Ks, brand new Bilsteins, King Springs and 19" wheels. Initially I had bought this car with the plan of keeping it for 18 months - 2 years and getting into an FPV, ideally an FG F6. Whilst it's a great car I can't help thinking I should have bitten the bullet and just got one straight away. If I was to consider one now, would you rather spend: A) ~$20K on an BFII Phoon B) ~$25K on a BFII R-Spec C) ~$40K on an FG F6 The F6 is probably a stretch but I'm going to lose more money if I go with the BF now and decide to get the F6 later anyway. These prices are what I'm guessing I'll be up for after trade in. Keep in mind I'd be looking for a car with less than 20,000ks and I'm not looking to modify any of them much (maybe tune) Paul
-
True, but I'm considering getting either a BFII Phoon or R-Spec now and NOT upgrading to the F6. If I could get hold of a low K Phoon then I'd be inclined to keep that for 3-4 years. Ahh stuff it you're right, it's only money just get the friggin F6, I'm so confused
-
Well to me the R-Spec has the looks, the gearbox, the brakes, decent suspension and a reasonable amount of power. If anything I might get a decent custom tune, that's it. Then, if I ever decide to sell (and history of my car ownership says I will one day) then I just reload the factory tune and sell as a standard car, without too much hassle. The other factor with the R-Spec is being a limited edition ( I know there's not really much different about it) whether or not they will hold their value better over time? I'm just starting to think the jump to an FG F6 might be more than I can handle in 18 months 2 years, so thinking of other options. General question to all. Given that I don't want a highly modified car, what FPV would you buy now with 40K? 06 BF Phoon with money for mods? or 07 Phoon or 07 R-Spec?
-
Yeah, I can see what you mean by the R-Spec not being much more than a normal Phoon. In saying that though what makes a BF XR6T MUCH better than a BA XR6T or a BF Phoon better than a BF XR6T or a BF MKII Phoon better than BF Phoon? What I'm getting at I guess is where do you draw the line? What was it that made you decide on the car that you bought? (General question to everyone) The original plan was to keep my BF XR6T for 18 months - 2 years and get an FG F6, but I'm figuring that I'll be up for another $30-$35K after selling or trading my car, that might be a bit much. Should I just consider a BF Phoon with a couple of mods instead for and extra $20K?
-
I know I could spend $10K on the T and it would be better than the R-Spec and probably even the standard FG F6. Problem is, in 18 months time when it comes time to sell, that money would be down the drain, as modded/molested cars just aren't worth much more than a standard car. I've been there, done that plenty of times before. Sure you might be lucky and get an enthusiasts that recognise the money spent and be willing to pay a bit more, but how many guys do you see trying to turn their cars back to standard just to shift them? Frankly, I'm done spending a lot of money on modifying cars. So it's keep it as is for 18 months and have $35K to spend on either 08 XR6T or maybe 07 Phoon with more Ks. Either that or spend the extra $20K now on an 07 R-Spec and get into something that I'd be happy to leave standard and that might hold it's value a bit better? Not sure if this is making any sense to anyone but me
-
I know what you're saying makes sense but for some reason I'm still wrestling with the idea. I already have brand new suspension in my car, and I was planning on getting a tune and replacement rotors and pads at some stage. Then it's a matter of whether I do calipers, braided lines etc etc, where does it stop? I've spent a million dollars on modding cars over the years and I know that you lose all of that money and it's harder to shift when it comes to trade or sell. I'm also over paying excessive amounts of money for highly modified cars. To me the advantage of the R-Spec or FG F6 is that as a "factory" car they have plenty of style and performance and really wouldn't need much done at all. Hence less of a loss when it comes time to upgrade and less hassle from insurance companies and police in the meantime. I never keep my cars for more than 100,000 ks so I'd probably be looking at shifting this one in 18months to 2 years. At that time I expect to sell it to be worth $15K. So if I take the $20K I'm looking to spend now and add it to the $15K, what will I get for $35K then? Maybe an 08 XR6T with 30,000Ks on it? Maybe an 07 Phoon?
-
Hey Guys, Believe it or not I'm already contemplating selling my BF XR6T after only 1 months ownership and upgrading to an BFII R-Spec. I was going to hold onto this car for a couple of years and then try and get into a FG F6 but now I'm thinking I'd be perfectly happy with an R-Spec. I'm trying to justify to myself whether it's worth the loss on the BF and the price of the upgrade to the R-Spec. Probably looking at another $20-25K to upgrade. Am I mad? Should I just stick with my original plan? Are these cars that much better than a BF XR6T with Bilsteins, King Sptings and tune??? Help!!!
-
Yes it an auto, and I reckon that's it! I was going to have a closer look on the weekend, but you've explained exactly what it feels like. Never owned an auto with a pedal worth putting to the floor before, I guess I just need to get use to it.
-
I can't make out whether he is or not either
-
You're right Erko. I travelled a long way to get my STi race car tuned by someone who I knew was very competent with the Autronic software. I guess I just rushed into getting a "free" flash tune from my mate and suddenly felt somewhat obliged to use him. I'll just talk to him some more to ascertain his experience and ability with this particular software beore making a decision.
-
Thnaks guys. I think I'll just get my mate to reinstall the factory tune and get it done by someone who specialises in these cars for my peace of mind. Paul.
-
First time I've heard of that. What exactly is adjustable about them?
-
Nah mate, probably not worth the trouble I'll see you at the starting point
-
Sorry one other question. If I get a box through my mate and get him to do the tune, then later on decide to get another tuner to do a custom tune, can I just reload my factory tune and then get the custom tune done, or can the other tuner just do another tune and overide my mates tune? Confused?
-
Hey guys, I've decided the only power mods I'll be doing to my T will be a K&N filter and Flash Tune, as I only plan to keep it for about 2 years and then get into an FG F6. I've been reading quite a few posts to get my head around these flash tunes but with all the fuss about CAPA and the Xcal1 & 2s, I'm not sure where I stand. Firstly I planned on getting a new box and loading the factory tune on to it and then get a custom tune done. When it comes time to sell the T I'd load the factory tune back in, keep the box and use it for the F6. Is that sound feasible? If so, with all the sh1t that's hit the fan over these things lately, what box should I be getting? Second decision to make is a little trickier. I have a mechanic friend who has an Xcal2 and offered me a tune for free the other day. I was keen to see what I was in for so I took him up on the offer, and he unloaded my factory tune into his box and loaded up his tune. I asked him about the tune and he said it's "just one he's been fine tuning for a while". I asked him about the boost and he said it was about 20% more than standard. We went for a run after he loaded the tune and everything seems fine, more power, no pinging, close to standard fuel consumption etc. Now the dilemma. I can probably get a new box through him at the right price but I'd feel obliged to get the tune through him as well. He will also be servicing the car in the future. I know he doesn't speacialise in these things but it doesn't necessarily mean he can't do a decent tune. If it was you guys, would you just bite the bullet and get a box and tune through a "specialist" for peace of mind and maybe a few extra KWs or will any decent tuner be able to get 90-95% of the same performance with these flash tuners? Sorry for the long post
-
Hey Guys, I've owned a BF XR6T for about 4 weeks now and have been progressively "giving it a squirt" as I get more comfortable with the car. Just recently I've noticed that when I press down on the accelerator it seems to go down only so far and then I need to press it harder to get it to the floor. Does that sound right or just sound like a sticking acceletor pedal?
-
I'll be coming from Shailer Park but it's probably not worth the detour. I'll catch up with you two at Carseldine or on the way up somewhere Paul.
-
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.