Jump to content

Erko

Legacy Donating Member
  • Posts

    1,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Erko

  1. that's the missus.....was a non timed day so passengers were allowed.
  2. Hard question to answer, but a really quick one isnt that cheap...If you want to keep it registered and not have a bag of sh*t. I've seen turbos from 11-15 second quarters, so its almost a how long is a piece of string question. When complete my car will have cost me about 27-28k or so, and that's with buying the car mostly sorted. Bear in mind this is a fast car, with huge grip, braking, awesome handling and capable of mid to low 12 second quarters. You could use it in supersprints, targa type events, hill climbs and motokhanas and not be embarassed. If you wanted to get out of it cheaply, then naturally aspirated with some money spent on tyres and suspension would be the go, and you'd still have fun.
  3. Update : had it retuned by Dale at Castle Hill yesterday.....added some 550cc injectors, and a new 200 CPI cat. Ended up pulling 170rwkw at 13psi. Feels every bit as fast as a 300rwkw XR6T now. Power to weight is almost identical....power down is awesome though with the 225 semis. So, yes its quick in a straight line now too. Task now is to remove more weight, as power wise that's about the limit I can get on stock internals and before gearbox longevity becomes a real issue. Gee its fun now though, it just feels so bloody quick as its so low as well. @ Rosie - no mate I am not going to be down at WP on Anzac Day unfortunately, but I hope to be on the track again in May. I have a whole bunch of sorting things to do now, including adding a M&W Ignition system, coolant reroute, bolt on chassis rails and also grab some seats and harnesses.
  4. 1:09 top work nigel! Knocking on the door of 1.08s.....
  5. spacers are used to move a higher offset wheel to a lower offset. Ie, a +45 offset with a 10mm spacer is equivalent to +35. So, as per Winstor.....no, +30 doesnt need a spacer.
  6. Had my first track outing last Sat at Marulan....great little track. Car had some fuelling gremlins, but I can tell its going to be a complete ripper!
  7. how did you go Nelsonian? I went down to Marulan last Sat, top little track, had some small niggles but car is going to be very good.
  8. in 18s stock is around 15kgs......10kgs cast wheels are good.....8kg forged wheels are the ducks
  9. @ GREGOR Its far better suited to regular track outings than the F6. Just by virtue of being 800kgs lighter its so much easier on tyres and brakes.....and to be honest to take the next step in the F6 would mean that I would not be happy to use it as a daily driver and I would need to modify a lot of stuff, completely buggering any resale and also taking the car to the limits of its engineering in a number of areas. I wanted a wagon to carry bikes around so I got a new Mazda6 which is a great daily driver, and this as a toy.
  10. @ RAPID The dodgy 5th injector eh, now that's old school Thanks Chris, yeah its pretty well sorted. Good thing I lost about 20kgs so now I can fit in it no worries. Im getting some low mount rails and race seats to give me some extra helmet clearance too, but as is its still ok. Im 181cm.
  11. Gday Brett, yes there are significant differences between models. mx5cartalk.com is a big Aussie based forum with heaps of info. Basically, the earliest cars (NA6) are the lightest and have a 1.6, the NA8 from end 93-97 is a 1.8 with bigger brakes, stiffer chassis etc than the NA6. This is what my car is. Then there are 3 versions of the NB. NB's now make very good buying, as they are a better starting point for performance work and newer, and now getting cheaper than good NA8s which retain really good resale due to limited numbers sold and popularity of the original MX-5 shape + 1.8 engine. As you might know there is a huge MX-5 Motorsport scene, with very active National Race programs for wheel to wheel racing of purpose built track cars, and also the state based MX-5 clubs are very active with regular super sprints, hill climbs, motorkhanas and the like with classes for stock, modified nat. asp, turbo etc. They are a fantastic car for grass roots motorsport as they are light weight, rear wheel drive, have “A” Arm suspension all round and are cheap to run, and very fun to drive. ..and you can modify them to pretty much any level. Your idea about taking the car for a drive over the hills for a blat is why I will keep this road rego’d….its my hobby car for racing, tweaking, driving and generally having fun with. You can pm me for any info you want and I’ll try to push you in the right direction.
  12. Weight is a touch over 1000kgs hope to get it under a tonne though. Ground clearance ain't great for spotlighting roos though !
  13. @ HIRO Yep, its pretty tidy but I am going to clean it up more, including the engine bay. I've seen the Ultra Bracing, im getting FM Chassis Rails and also cross ladder brace (Butterfly), but I wouldnt mind the Ultra 4 point lower arm bar at some point Tyres are Kumho V70As at the moment, they are R compound and seem good so far.
  14. @ Power_Slide nothing yet, but initial target will be around 1.10 at Wakefield. A real serious turbo MX-5 is capable of 1.05-1.06 at Wakefield, but my car wont be that extreme. So maybe somewhere in the 1.08s I'd be happy with eventually for a road registered car at full weight. Its fantastic to drive, very pure lightweight rear wheel drive dynamics.....lots of fun. @ XR09 Yep, the roof off does and you also sit very low. Feels fantastic. Because you sit so low you can feel the car moving around and have a good idea exactly how much grip you've got to play with. This car is just for super sprints, skid pan, hill climbs and the like. No door to door racing, just fun and a hobby for me and the missus is very keen to get into super sprints too. I've had it engineered and it will stay in road trim
  15. Just a note also guys come and say g'day if you see me at the track....im going to Marulan on Saturday and the missus is using it on the Eastern Creek skid pan at the end of the month, I'll be heading to Wakefield in April too. I'll keep an eye out for any T's.
  16. Motul RBF600 The ducks nuts imho is Castrol SRF, but there is a fair price difference from memory. I like to bleed the lines every 10,000klms or so.
  17. Seeing my daily driver these days is a boring Mazda6 wagon......a long way away from the F6 as far as fun goes, its a good thing I've got a toy for track duties...had the car for a while now and finally had a chance to take some half decent pics.....so here she is. I usually run with hard top (soft top has been removed) but yesterday took the roof off as the weather was good. Specs as below...... NA8CE MX-5 Clubman Engine: 1.8 with AVO kit GT28 Ball bearing turbo AVO Manifold AVO Dump AVO intercooler Custom made 2.5" exhaust (Metal cat to be fitted) Turbosmart Boost controller Turbosmart BOV RR Fuel pressure Regulator Walbro fuel pump 360 cc GTX injectors (550cc waiting to be fitted) Air intake temp sensor Link G4 Storm ECU Carbing Strut brace 50mm Cooling pro Radiator Body : Garage Vary front lip Matt Black Hardtop. Soft top removed Black window frame surround Brown Davis Roll bar Craftsquare CF Mirrors Clear side markers Clear side indicators Underneath Buddy Club JNR Spec Coilovers 8kg/6kg All Bushes replaced (Offset Camber type up front) Exedy HD clutch Wilwood Brake proportioning valve Wilwood 6 Piston Dynalite calipers up front Original calipers rear (rebuilt) Goodridge Braided lines Master cylinder stopper BIG DBA 5000 series 2 piece rotors F & R 15 x 8 6UL with McGard Black nuts 225/45/15 Kumho V70A Semi Slicks Torsen LSD Its currently running 10psi, but will fit 550cc injectors + Metal cat + New Intake design and then retune so I can run 12psi. I've also got a Beatrush Diff brace to fit, and FM Butterfly brace on order. Also need to fit US R Package rear low spoiler and a rear tow hook. Im doing a few little tidying up projects too. After that I'll get some race seats and harnesses. Im loving this car.... Final target is 170rwkw or so
  18. Tocchi, that looks farking sick. Must feel very different compared to the stockies.
  19. yep, love it. Not many Ford owners are keen to pull and roll.......that guards that is.
  20. Hi mate, do you mean David Raddatz? Yes, I know them. Mine will be ready next month, but its not going to be a class based car, just a general quick supersprint / road car type. Here is a teaser.....front brakes, Wilwood Dynalites, 6 Piston Caliper with brake bias adjustment.
  21. sounds great. Whats the MX-5 ? Mine is coming along nicely hope to get it on track next month
  22. fantastic stuff. I was hoping someone would develop a XR6T for this.
  23. yep, posts are f*cked. KU36 on those with upgrade pads - see what compounds racebrakes has for the stock calipers. Then you can do semis + brake upgrade at a later date. Suspension wise, I'd just go Tein SS with the high spring rates, get an aggressive alignment and good to go. Front lower control arm bushings too.
  24. Azzman,OK you know the drill. Size wise something close to 18x8.5+30 and 18x9.5+38 would be ideal. I used to not be so big on staggered sizing, its good for power down but can lend itself to more front end push....but fark it, it looks tough, drive around it. In that size Work CR KAI are available off the shelf in OZ from JDMConcept. Otherwise, Rays Engineering have a bunch of wheels in suitable fitments. TE37 or RE30 being examples of these.
  25. shouldnt be too hard, will need to get it properly packed / crated and then shipped. I would expect something like USD 1.5-2K to do this in addition to the engine.
×
×
  • Create New...