Diff Whine

Ninka

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 26d

My XR6T have an annoying "whine" from the diff. at around 85-95 kph, I have tried changing gears to eliminate gearbox (auto) as the cause, but no it is definitely the diff. I have had no backlash problems, but the whine has been there since new.

Going in for 3000 k service tomorrow, and I have mentioned the problem to the service guys at Titan Ford.

It seems that they will receive a new complete diff. from Ford if they agree that the noise is too much. No repairing and adjusting the diff. locally anymore!

Anyone else have this problem? :thumbsup:

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 1d

iwas talking to a guy last night that bought an (auto) XR6T last week and he said the diff blew some sort of seal and tha Ford were going to replace the diff. He didn't mention a whine. Not sure why they are replacing the diff, maybe the housing is warped or cracked.

My diff seems OK so far(1700km), I'm getting too paranoid to drive it with all these problems being documented on this forum.

• Member For: 21y 4m 13d

Falchoon ! That was me

Full story is that the diff seal was leaking in 3 places and may be have been creased on assembly (Xmas build car).

Ford Service may be replacing the whole diff because:

a. its quicker to replace whole diff, or

b. Ford needs to check whether it is a assembly quality issue

I first noticed the problem when I went for my first cruise and the entire back of the car was covered in oil

I am still driving it because they didn't tell me not to and I assuming that while it was on the hoist that they ran a bead of silicon or similar over it to stop the leak.

• Member For: 21y 3m 25d
My XR6T have an annoying "whine" from the diff. at around 85-95 kph, I have tried changing gears to eliminate gearbox (auto) as the cause, but no it is definitely the diff. I have had no backlash problems, but the whine has been there since new.

Going in for 3000 k service tomorrow, and I have mentioned the problem to the service guys at Titan Ford.

It seems that they will receive a new complete diff. from Ford if they agree that the noise is too much. No repairing and adjusting the diff. locally anymore!

Anyone else have this problem? :cry:

I thought it was my imagination, but mines exactly the same. around 90km/hr there is a whine from the back seat (and it is not my wife!). I'm going to have a whine myself when I take it for the 3,000k service.

Guest raoulc
  • Guests

I have a manual and brought this topic some time ago.

There is a diff whine in my car. I told the service department when I went in for my 3000k check. (its not a service because they do nothing to the car). They said nothing was wrong.

Its not much but definetley there. I'm taking mine back for another check.

Guest Mr Walker
  • Guests

Scott,

What's with the DBA rotors - did the dealer put 'em on because your original ones warped? Or did you scam 'em somehow?

I'll have to catch up with you and Ninka when I finally get my car - arriving next week is what they're telling me.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 26d
Hope you get it fixed up soon mate...watch out for those yellow traffic lights on Ginnenderra Drive won't you...

Just had it looked at today, and Ford is going to replace the diff.

Like you Scott52, it was only slight, but it is getting more and more noticable.

Glad it's gonna be fixed :)

Scott,

What's with the DBA rotors - did the dealer put 'em on because your original ones warped?  Or did you scam 'em somehow?

I'll have to catch up with you and Ninka when I finally get my car - arriving next week is what they're telling me.

Mr Walker.

DBA already list the Longlife Gold drilled and slotted rotors for the BA (go to www.dba.com.au). I ordered a set for the front only (through the dealer) when I ordered the car, so I have already payed for them in the price of the car. They had not been delivered when the car was ready in Dec, so the dealer is waiting for them to turn up. I'm hoping they will be here by the time my 3,000km service is due in about 2 weeks. I will ask the dealer to fit them then if his price for fitting is reasonable, otherwise I will put them in myself. they should be simple to install.

I have 2,300km on the clock now and have had no problems with the brakes. they are still nice and smooth. if the drilled and slotted rotors are good I will also put a set on the back. if they are as good as they say, at about $75 each they are good value.

Scott,

What's with the DBA rotors - did the dealer put 'em on because your original ones warped?  Or did you scam 'em somehow?

Mr Walker.

.......at about $75 each they are good value.

oops......... make that about $150 each.