Velvet Glove Team Blueprint Member 532 Member For: 23y 5m 23d Posted 31/03/04 11:17 PM Posted 31/03/04 11:17 PM I liked the original version done many years ago. Anything else is just a cheap ass way of capitalising on someone else's good work. Cover versions are the haven of a lazy band. I had a lot of respect for Spiderbait up until this point, as their songs rocked and were original. Now they don't.The clip is good though, the song is the problemExcuse the negativity, just my opinion
sharkey Member 337 Member For: 22y 8m 27d Posted 01/04/04 12:33 AM Posted 01/04/04 12:33 AM I don’t have a problem with covers so much as the manufactured pop hits that are prevalent these days, with many of them seeming to do covers of older songs. In fact every second or third song these days seems to be a cover.However if an established band/artist does a cover in their own style then quite often I like it. This has been going on for years. Eric Clapton has covered a variety of artists from JJ Cale (Cocaine and After Midnight) to Bob Marley (I Shot the Sheriff) and Robert Johnson (Crossroads). In fact he has recently released an entire album of Robert Johnson covers.Sometimes the cover has become more famous than the original. The Rolling Stones Little Red Rooster is a recognised classic but is a cover of a Willie Dixon blues song. Muddy Waters has also done an acceptable (to me) cover of this song.More recently I haven’t minded some covers: Grinspoon’s version of INXS’s Don’t ChangeSmashmouths version of the Monkeys (a manufactured band) I’m a BelieverBut have detested others from established artists:Madonna’s version of American PieThe Moulin Rouge version of Lady MarmaladeI like this Spiderbait version of Black Betty. It’s a good song performed in the Spiderbait style.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 20d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 01/04/04 12:37 AM Author Posted 01/04/04 12:37 AM Excuse the negativity, just my opinionNegativity from VG.. ...who would have thought. I do agree though!! So no one knows how to capture a stream?
aniken I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it Legacy Donating Member 4,316 Member For: 23y 9m 14d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, south west Posted 01/04/04 01:09 AM Posted 01/04/04 01:09 AM So no one knows how to capture a stream? Build a dam
CHIPS Great rack Legacy Donating Member 1,351 Member For: 23y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Geelong Vic. Posted 01/04/04 12:28 PM Posted 01/04/04 12:28 PM I liked the original version done many years ago. Anything else is just a cheap ass way of capitalising on someone else's good work. Cover versions are the haven of a lazy band. I had a lot of respect for Spiderbait up until this point, as their songs rocked and were original. Now they don't.The clip is good though, the song is the problemExcuse the negativity, just my opinion I agree!
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 20d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 08/04/04 03:08 PM Author Posted 08/04/04 03:08 PM So no one knows how to capture a stream? :locked:Build a dam Got the dam thing after all I liked the original version done many years ago. Anything else is just a cheap ass way of capitalising on someone else's good work. Cover versions are the haven of a lazy band. I had a lot of respect for Spiderbait up until this point, as their songs rocked and were original. Now they don't.The clip is good though, the song is the problemExcuse the negativity, just my opinionA side note to this is the 'original hit' by Ram Jam like most early hits was ripped off from the Blues pioneers, Black Betty being originaly written and recorded by Huddie 'Leadbelly' Ledbetter.....so the "cheap ass way of capitalising on someone else's good work" you so enjoyed was also just cheap ass capitalisation of somebody else's good work. To throw another curve ball in:There is a houuuse in Newww Orleans they callllll the Rising Sun. . . .
Velvet Glove Team Blueprint Member 532 Member For: 23y 5m 23d Posted 08/04/04 05:04 PM Posted 08/04/04 05:04 PM Perhaps that was the original version that I was talking about many years ago ! I didnt mention Ram Jam
Guest Scootre Guests Posted 08/04/04 10:29 PM Posted 08/04/04 10:29 PM I liked the original version done many years ago. Anything else is just a cheap ass way of capitalising on someone else's good work. Cover versions are the haven of a lazy band. I had a lot of respect for Spiderbait up until this point, as their songs rocked and were original. Now they don't.The clip is good though, the song is the problemExcuse the negativity, just my opinion Same here. Loved the original version. Very few ripped off songs do it for me these days. Though there's been a few that were better than the orig.I guess we're both getting old VG.
Guest Scootre Guests Posted 08/04/04 10:33 PM Posted 08/04/04 10:33 PM So how did you get the file Dags?I did a quick search on Google and found this site with links to software with full working demos to do it:http://emoney.al.ru/capture-streaming-video-and-audio/
bara Member 183 Member For: 23y 2m 20d Location: Gold Coast Posted 08/04/04 11:40 PM Posted 08/04/04 11:40 PM Perhaps that was the original version that I was talking about many years ago ! I didnt mention Ram Jam Nice backpeddle VG. And we all really really believe you knew about the original original... :locked:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now