NA to turbo

kosta.plats

• Member For: 2y 10m 3d

Hey guys,

I have a stock fg xr6 that I’m taking ownership from my parents.

I want to convert it to a turbo in the near future.

I know the basics when converting it but just want to know what’s needed in order to be able to make this conversion happen. 
Keeping in mind that I want to achieve somewhere around 300kw

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 3y 8m 17d

Hey mate, easiest way is to basically get everything you can from a xr6 turbo factory set up, if you want the 300rwkw mark, get the 1000cc injectors instead of factory ones, and my advice would be to not cheap out on turbo, exhaust, intercooler piping, I did the build about 5 weeks ago and wrote up what I got, and honestly, if I did it again, the exhaust, piping and injectors would have been what I would have gotten before the build, also, if you get a new turbo, I've heard the pulsar are good, and they're relatively cheap, the other thing is, make sure you get new gaskets for exhaust, intake, thermostat housing, as well as the turbo, hoses for oil and water, there's some premade ones out there, not sure how good they are.

Honestly mate, research what others have done to get an idea of what to get, also, zip ties and various vacuum lines

2 minutes ago, kosta.plats said:

joenash85 thanks for the reply

how much did all this roughly cost you. Was it worth it in the end rather than just buying a turbo 

Hard to give a actual figure, but somewhere around $8,500 to $9,000, but that includes the tune, most of my parts I got second hand, turbo was really the only thing I got brand new, and honestly, I would have gone the pulsar turbo over the Garrett, simply because it is almost a quarter of the price.

As for being worth it, well, to me, definitely was worth it, the time and energy I put into doing the actual work, seeing the end results, what power I ended up with, it was something that I really can't express through words, financially, is it worth it, well, with the prices for turbo xr6 keep going the way they are, it could be, I got mine, in my opinion, relatively cheap at $7,000, add the $8,500 to $9,000, that's a $16,000 xr6 turbo that I feel proud owning, but at the end, it's really up to you, some people will spend $30,000+ on a $1,500 sh*t box, because to them, it's worth it.

I did, except for the tune, left that to professionals, I honestly didn't find it overly difficult, some fiddly bits here and there, and some other teething things, but overall, it's relatively straightforward, like I said, get the majority of the factory parts, intake, manifold, etc, and it's like a big jigsaw puzzle

No, not yet, I was told that the power and boost I was wanting shouldn't need them done just yet, but they will be getting done soon, as I plan on getting bigger injectors, intercooler and piping and exhaust system, then winding the boost up, next goal is around the 350 to 400 kw.