vaughan Legacy Donating Member 17 Member For: 22y 10m 8d Posted 02/03/04 10:54 AM Posted 02/03/04 10:54 AM My XR6-T (Oct 03 build) has only ~7300 Km on the clock. It has premium brakes. About a month ago it developed an annoying squeak from the brakes. My dealer said the front disks needed machining and they put some shim (?) around the pads and some lubricant of some sort too. I wasn't keen on machining as it takes a third of the rotor's life away in one fell swoop. The noise went for a fortninght. Now its back but in my opinion it is from the rear. They adjusted the hand brake saying it was rubbing and then last week it rained in Sydney so I couldn't hear the noise. This week its back again, it only takes a few Kms of city driving and it occurs. Silent under extremely light pedal pressure or very hard braking; anyting else and its SQUEALS :( Anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?(It is not shuddering or vibrating, the brake pedal feels fine, its just noisy.)
KrasH Bloody Orange Team (BOT) Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 23y 3m 18d Gender: Male Location: Canberra, Australia Posted 02/03/04 11:06 AM Posted 02/03/04 11:06 AM (edited) Common problem with premium brakes. Apparently caused by a combination of brake dust aswell as the glazing of the pads when not "run in" properly. I have the same problem, but have learnt to live with it. For me it doesn't seem to happen on hard braking There are a few threads on this topic aswell., just use the "search" feature of the site.Last I remember there was some sort of fix in the works, but I have no idea if this is fact or fiction. Edited 02/03/04 11:07 AM by KrasH
loaded Member 77 Member For: 22y 8m 4d Location: sydney Posted 02/03/04 11:53 AM Posted 02/03/04 11:53 AM Me too. I have the premium brakes and within 24hrs after picking up the car brand new they started squealing,not to mention the clutch shudder and the diff clunking.What anoys me is that the workshop always has some quick fix method and they never get to the core of the problem.
Guest Guests Posted 02/03/04 09:06 PM Posted 02/03/04 09:06 PM Ive got premos and nearly 20k and they havent squeeled for ages,so beats me whats going on...pluss its allmost time for a pad change,so the less meat on the pads the less squeel????vik
KrasH Bloody Orange Team (BOT) Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 23y 3m 18d Gender: Male Location: Canberra, Australia Posted 03/03/04 07:54 AM Posted 03/03/04 07:54 AM Maybe the squeel will go without any pads.
mattson Award Winning Photo guy Legacy Donating Member 1,340 Member For: 22y 9m 4d Gender: Male Location: Burleigh Waters Posted 04/03/04 12:45 AM Posted 04/03/04 12:45 AM just off topic a bit, how do ya'll brake, is it just brakes? I.e push the clutch/brake in and coast to a stop..the reason I ask is, I've always been a engine/compression braking kinda guy, even in the T, I used strategic downshifts with light braking to pull the car up, always worked in my WRX as well and never had brake problems...maybe people should give this a try..
vaughan Legacy Donating Member 17 Member For: 22y 10m 8d Posted 04/03/04 07:21 AM Author Posted 04/03/04 07:21 AM (edited) mattson, how so in an auto?Imo brake pads are cheaper than PULP fuel and engine/transmission wear.all,my dealer says he cannot machine the slotted & holed disc rotors on his "normal" machine as the grinding point would catch and either stuff his machine or warp the rotor. Begs the question how he told me he machined the front brakes a few weeks ago doesn't it? Today he says they used a set of grinding pads to clean up the rotors. Sounds like BS to me.I said he'd better ask FoMoCo how to cure the squealing brakes then. Edited 04/03/04 07:25 AM by vaughan
DallasQLD Legacy Donating Member 1,197 Member For: 23y 10m 4d Gender: Male Location: Albany Creek QLD Posted 04/03/04 07:42 AM Posted 04/03/04 07:42 AM I just picked up my car from the 30,000 service with the same isse and same story. They said I should put Falcon GT pads in to stop the squealWhy do they take us for idiots all of the time?Not good enough..........................
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now