Honest Gaza The Thief of BadGags Legacy Donating Member 527 Member For: 22y 11m 29d Location: Sydney Posted 21/02/04 02:11 AM Author Posted 21/02/04 02:11 AM Honest Gaza Man the fuel thing is abit of a worry, do you hate your car? OK boys...I hope this doesn't take a nasty turn and start getting too serious. But it seems that whenever I make reference to using standard ULP as opposed to PULP, the hairs on the back of people's necks start sticking up and they get all excited. :banghead: Let me say up front, I am not a mechanic, I know little about cars (although this may surprise you considering the mods I have already performed), and there may be good reason to use PULP. However....I must draw your attention to P32 of the "Customer Assistance, Warranty and Service Guide". Note 1 at the bottom of the page states..."XR6 Turbo is calibrated to run on ULP and PULP" In the approx 3 months I have had the vehicle, and driven the congested streets of Sydney, I used PULP for the first 7000km and consistently got 12.x Litres/100km. I then switched to ULP as an experiment for another 2000km and again consistently got 12.x Litres/100km.While I can't vouch for the "performance differences" during this time, (the car goes very fast on either),...my fuel consumption remained the same.At approx 10c/litre difference, this is a huge cost difference over a 4Year lease based on approx 35,000km / year.To those who say what is 10c/litre when you have paid in excess of $45,000 for a car...well that depends on whether it is additional money well spent. Ford apparently don't think it is necessary or they would refuse to mention it in the Warranty conditions.Anyway, I am currently using PULP again, and have yet to make up my mind which way to go long term. In final closing...there is a sh*tload of cars out there all using ULP and I assume that these engines aren't going to suddenly fall to bits because the drivers refused to use PULP. My limited understanding of the basic XR6 Turbo engine is that it is nothing amazing and that it is this Turbo thingy that gives it some zip. ( I did say I have limited understanding ) Please....if I am wrong, and there is damn good reason to use PULP, then feel free to b**ch-slap me.Honest Gaza
Zeke zeke Member 792 Member For: 23y 3m 9d Location: Adelaide Posted 21/02/04 02:29 AM Posted 21/02/04 02:29 AM GazaThe T costs a considerable premium over the N/A. For this you get very little apart from a considerable increase in power and torque, a nicer sounding car and a little red badge.To most people willing to shell out the extra $$'s, the performance is paramount cos it's what they paid for. The T will run OK on ULP. The "computer" will adjust the relevant parameters and it will be slower, but nothing will break or be damaged.The reaction stems from the fact that very few T drivers are willing to compromise performance for a few c/l at the tank. If you are (and from what you have explained, it's almost understandable) then that's your business. You're not affecting warrantee or damaging your car, so do what rocks your boat and don't worry about people who want everyone else to do it their way!Having said that, I personally couldn't put ULP in my T - not willing to compromise on that lovely loud pedal response - I do less km than you though.Only my opinionCheerszekePS Needless to say I'm in awe of your list of mods!
chief Member 166 Member For: 23y 2m 15d Location: Melbourne Posted 21/02/04 05:44 AM Posted 21/02/04 05:44 AM I thought it required 95ron? But hey, its not a numbers game is it? 36-24-36 is a nice numbers game
Guest esky Guests Posted 21/02/04 06:06 AM Posted 21/02/04 06:06 AM The E- tag will give you an extra 40rwkw over the harbour bridge. I can confirm this!Honest Gaza, you should open up a performance shop!
Honest Gaza The Thief of BadGags Legacy Donating Member 527 Member For: 22y 11m 29d Location: Sydney Posted 21/02/04 08:13 AM Author Posted 21/02/04 08:13 AM I thought it required 95ron? But hey, its not a numbers game is it? 36-24-36 is a nice numbers game Cheif...again I can only point out what the Ford manual says..."calibrated to run on 91 RON or 95 RON)"I do like your train of thought though as far as number games go. Although, I imagine you don't win lotto very often using these numbers. You need to diversify a little
Honest Gaza The Thief of BadGags Legacy Donating Member 527 Member For: 22y 11m 29d Location: Sydney Posted 21/02/04 08:20 AM Author Posted 21/02/04 08:20 AM The E- tag will give you an extra 40rwkw over the harbour bridge.I can confirm this!Honest Gaza, you should open up a performance shop! Esky > think I'd rather open a coffee shop. There would only be two things you can get...cappucinos and toasted ham & cheese sandwiches. Don't get me wrong...you could order whatever you like...but you would only get cappucinos and toasted ham & cheese sanwiches.One mod I would like to attempt, ( but just don't have much faith in my own ability ), is to gouge a couple of notches in the steering wheel. When eating hamburgers, there is a tendancy for my elbows to slip off the wheel when turning corners. :lol: Honest Gaza
yeec Member 99 Member For: 22y 7m 22d Location: Mt Waverley, VIC 3149 Posted 21/02/04 12:03 PM Posted 21/02/04 12:03 PM Honest Gaza - If you are on a lease, why are you worrying about what sort of petrol you are using ? My lease includes petrol so will be putting in 98RON every time.Would also consider painting the brake calipers, I had it done to my Rex and it looks awesome ! Check it out at http://forum.wrx.com.au/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID...927&whichpage=1
Honest Gaza The Thief of BadGags Legacy Donating Member 527 Member For: 22y 11m 29d Location: Sydney Posted 21/02/04 01:53 PM Author Posted 21/02/04 01:53 PM Honest Gaza - If you are on a lease, why are you worrying about what sort of petrol you are using ? My lease includes petrol so will be putting in 98RON every time. Yeec > not sure how your lease works but mine allows for an allowance provided by employer, and anything above that is from your pre-tax earnings. Therefore, any changes in fuel costs will definitely be reflected in the annual budget. At approx $5 a tank difference, and based on a minimum of 1 tank of fuel a week....that's a total difference of approx $2500 per year. That's money that could be spent on additional mods to the car.By the way to those who are keenly observing my list...I have thought about having my car lowered, but am not sure of the most accurate way to take the air out of the tyres.Honest Gaza
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 16d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 21/02/04 02:21 PM Posted 21/02/04 02:21 PM By the way to those who are keenly observing my list...I have thought about having my car lowered, but am not sure of the most accurate way to take the air out of the tyres.Gaza your better off taking it from the top otherwise you'll have flat spot's, mighten lower it much but it'll be lighter not having to carry all that excess air round.....
Guest cul08r Guests Posted 21/02/04 10:51 PM Posted 21/02/04 10:51 PM Honest Gaza.I note with great disheartening that you have minimal mods that assist the comfort of the ladies. Where are your fake cow skin look seat covers? All my ladies love the faux fur feel. Another thing that I missed in your post was the mirror disco ball installed in place of the centre roof light. I have found this addition alone to give me approximately 3kw at the flywheel.Also, the neon flashing air valve caps are a must for better balancing of the tyres after you've painted the letters white. Actually, I must confess. I tried this too on my 19s, but got a bit carried away. When I tried to even up the bits where I went outside the lines, things escelated to the point where I now have 'white' tyres on my car. But it actually doesn't look to bad on the blood orange!Andrew
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now