Wiring Loom Problems

Serangan

• Member For: 10y 7m 6d

So im chasing an electrical gremlin that's shown up in my car, and after suspecting a fault wire(s) going from the BEM to the ICC, I was right, testing the resistance between each end showed infinite resistance (I.e. broken cable) replacing these bought my instrument cluster back to life. Success I thought.

Turns out not; the speedo (and only the speedo, everything else continues to tick over, rpm, odo, current trip distance etc) will just die at random. So going through the wiring diagrams; I've tested each cable that I think might have an effect and come up with the following;

IMG_7594.jpg

Now that link going from ICC pin 44 to Instrument Cluster B5 is puzzling me. I would expect a broken cable to be infinite resistance, and a good one to be 0 resistance. Is it meant to be like that? Or is it in deed broken? My multimeter was going crazy on for this cable so maybe it is fully cooked but that's what it ended up reading.

Any one have any clues or hints they could help me with? Not overly worried about the diagnostics connector resistance readings I have because it still works, xcal unit gets data and happily transfers tunes so I'm guessing that's just residual from the other cable or inaccuracy from multimeter.

Few months old. Optima Yellow top d34. More than capable that the requirements of the car.

Have read that a bad battery is a common cause though.

Also, inb4diffbushes

Found the problem. ICC plug has had the tabs broken off and thus it isn't locking into place properly and coming loose through vibrations etc. Explaining the random speedo dropout, heater controls not working and a few other things.

Not sure how to fix it though :/ will have to figure something out though.

Seems to be fixed, but time will tell I guess.

I need up remove the car side of the ICC plug from the cradle its in and that gave me enough cable to plug it in and get still have access behind it to get a cable tie around the joined plugs. Wont be going anywhere soon!

Seems though, the auto headlight setting keeps the lights on regardless. Can just switch the lights manually which I can live with for now

Yeah, I figured it would be something to do with that, but not too fussed for now.

Will look at it when I can though. Im assuming if theres a fault with the sun sensor wiring it will default to lights on

Im filled with joy! haha. Might go read the codes sometime tomorrow. I assume this might also be the reason I've lost the 'follow me home' lighting? Tied in with all that somehow and in a fault state it just drops it? Seems logical I think. Might be something else entirely though.

Good news is 2 consecutive days and nether one of them have I lost steering wheel controls, instrument cluster, heater controls (very useful in Tassie currently) or radio. So I'm pleased still.