King Springs Install In Ute

(Locky)

• Member For: 15y 9m 11d

Confuses as to what removing rear disks has to do with it?

Good point... it doesn't, unless you're going to do anything with axle bearings (and possibly handbrake adjustment) while you're there.

Although, removing the disc rotors might help with getting access to the u-bolt nuts.

Edited by PhilMeUp

• Member For: 10y 3m 25d

Nah after reading your walkthrough think rear bearings are one of the few things im actually going to pay labour for in the last few years, too much f*ck around taking something to get pressed for daily

Thinking I really should have given king springs a buzz during week to sus out what the strips are for hahaha

Edited by (Locky)

Nah after reading your walkthrough think rear bearings are one of the few things im actually going to pay labour for in the last few years, too much f*ck around taking something to get pressed for daily

Removing and re-fitting axles is extremely easy. I had trouble last year with getting the old bearings off because I didn't have the right stuff to do the job with. I was also trying to use the press for everything so that I could learn to do it late at night (ie no power tools).

Last night I tried cutting the collar off an axle with a cutting disc and angle grinder. It was extremely easy to do. I used some mini boltcutters to cut the bearing cage off, and then the press to remove the inner ring from the bearing cage that was left on the axle.

If you want to replace the axle bearings while you're at it then get a pair of Timken 2985 bearing kits (around $30 each) and take the axles to a workshop with a press (eg suspension place). At least then you can save on the labour cost of removing the axles and putting them back in.

Thinking I really should have given king springs a buzz during week to sus out what the strips are for hahaha

I can't see what they're for. For leaf springs, there's one bolt at each end and the u-bolts in the middle to hold the diff in place.

• Member For: 10y 3m 25d

Well got them in about 3 hours

Didnt go yoo bad besides copping a rotor to the face when diff sprung up after undoing last bolt of first side

This is about the only place the washers made sense. I guess as the spring packs are slightly different sizes

post-76677-0-03285300-1422677300_thumb.j

Didnt go yoo bad besides copping a rotor to the face when diff sprung up after undoing last bolt of first side

See, I knew there was a good reason somewhere for removing the disc rotors! :laughcont:

• Like 1