Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 30d
Posted

hey everyone, just bought a 03 BA turbo ute and its has a boost or fuel issue.

I originally thought I had fixed it as there was a hose off one side of the waste gate.

After refitting the pipe to the wastegate it seemed to come on boost better but now it seems to be struggling for fuel.

To be straight forward, its just not pulling like it should. Its almost like a turbo splutter but seems more like its struggling for fuel. Sometimes the power is intermittent.

I havent had much time to try and resolve the problem as I only just got the car. so far ive only put a new fuel filter on the car. Ive also done the 'boost solenoid maintenance'.

Neither has seemed to make a difference. Any advice is appreciated.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 11m 13d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

I hope you find out cause im having the same problem as well, I have changed plugs and fuel filter next will be fuel pump, I can drive through every gear smoothly but as soon as I put the foot down and it hits boost it shutters like its on the limiter.

hopefully someone else is having the problem and has fixed it, I have been told by an ex performance guy that this is a common problem in them and to replace fuel pump with a bosch 044 fuel pump, fingers crossed it works, will let you know how I goin the next couple of days

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 3m 30d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Posted

Hey,

Before I did my mods and had it properly tuned I had this issue too,

Eventually I chased it down with the aid of a boost gauge, I found that it would cut out when when it got to about 9psi,

It was the ECU over boost cutting the fuel to save the engine, do either of you have a boost guage?

Brett

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 30d
Posted

I ordered a fuel pump On Sunday so it should be here soon and I'll pick up a boost controller this afternoon.

My brothers wrx ecu was cutting fuel because of high boost but it doesn't seem that erratic. That said they are totally different engines.

Cheers for the help, I'll update as soon as I make some progress.

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 30d
Posted

Boost gauge installed. Car is running up to 11psi. Ive been informed that the car should be running 6psi as standard?

Looks like this is the problem.

My first question is, How do I rectify the over boosting?

I will be looking at getting a flash tuner and get the car tuned properly in the near future, but didnt want to do so until I had done the other few mods I want to do I.e High flow cat, cold air intake etc.

Therefore is there a quick simple way of controlling the boost levels (back down to 6psi) I.e boost controller.

or is it a problem that can only be fixed through the ecu.

thanks again.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 2m 2d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

You need to fix the problem that's causing the overboost, cat or actuator, the ecu controls overboost by cutting cylinders, its not causing the problem

  • Like 1
  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 30d
Posted

the cat is standard so its shouldnt be causing the over boost? maybe the actuator is farked?

any ideas as a replacement? turbo smart? if im going to do upgrades to potentially run more boost should I wait until ive done

the upgrades as there are 7psi and 12psi actuators.

Also I thought if I bought a flash tuner the boost could be controlled by it? Im a little confused as to how this all works?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 2m 2d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

The cat may be standard but if its collapsed it can overboost, but if it was to that stage the engine light would be on, if you want to put an upgraded actuator on you need a tune, fullstop. Boost is controlled by the pcm via the boost control solenoid. The flash tuner is an interface for datalogging and modifying the pcm parameters to accept any modifications done.

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 3m 30d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Posted

Hey,

I have a TurboSmart External Wastegate Actuator,

I got the 12PSI one, it comes with a 5psi spring and a 7psi spring, you can remove the 7PSI to allow it to run without the tune, then put the 7psi in when you go for the tune,

Brett

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 2m 2d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

I used to run a turbosmart actuator... Pretty hard to change the spring in the car as the whole rod needs to come thru the baseplate. Mind u I never tried as I had turbo off for ported housing anyway

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...