Στέλ U1ARUN Member 192 Member For: 14y 5m 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, NSW Posted 17/07/12 07:19 AM Posted 17/07/12 07:19 AM G'day guys.Just would like some opinions on adjustable shock absorbers as I am looking at upgrading shortly for track use. Would like to know who has had some experiences, what brand makes a set for them, how good they are & of course the price tag. Thanks!
rbjet Skid Machine Legacy Donating Member 1,640 Member For: 15y 4m 10d Gender: Male Posted 17/07/12 09:29 PM Posted 17/07/12 09:29 PM By track work I take it you mean race track like Eastern Creek?If so have a look at Teins which are probably one of the best for an FG but aren't cheap. Over $2000 I think. Do a bit of a search on coilovers to see what you can find.Also a good set of Bilsteins and matched springs might just do the job. 1
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 27d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 17/07/12 09:58 PM Posted 17/07/12 09:58 PM The Tein Super Street kit is the most user friendly option, however as mentioned you do pay a bit more for the priviledge of on car adjustment. It really comes down to how you use your car 90% of the time, and how many track days you are going to do per year realistically.Also, learning your car has a lot to do with going faster around a track. Do a major suspension mod like a set of shocks or coilovers and hit the track with a professional driver, if you can steer your car around the track in the same lap time he can, then you need more mods. If you can't match the time, you need more practice! 2
rbjet Skid Machine Legacy Donating Member 1,640 Member For: 15y 4m 10d Gender: Male Posted 17/07/12 10:10 PM Posted 17/07/12 10:10 PM Well said.However, I would still change the standard shocks as a minimum, or maybe ad sway bars.I did a track day in my car earlier this year with Monroe shocks and King springs and it was horrible. My tyre's were able to hang on around corners but there was so much body role. Also the standard XR seats aren't the best for a track day. 1
Στέλ U1ARUN Member 192 Member For: 14y 5m 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, NSW Posted 17/07/12 11:38 PM Author Posted 17/07/12 11:38 PM By track work I take it you mean race track like Eastern Creek?If so have a look at Teins which are probably one of the best for an FG but aren't cheap. Over $2000 I think. Do a bit of a search on coilovers to see what you can find.Also a good set of Bilsteins and matched springs might just do the job.I don't want to go all out with the coilovers & ruin my ride as I use it for commuting to & from work also. I was thinking just a set of adjustable shock absorbers would do the trick as the car is pretty low as it is. Bilstein's sound good as I have had some good experience with them previously but as far as adjustables go.. I think Koni is the only company who makes them for the FG & they are about $1000 for a full set delivered.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330759843944?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280918462079?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Στέλ U1ARUN Member 192 Member For: 14y 5m 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, NSW Posted 17/07/12 11:43 PM Author Posted 17/07/12 11:43 PM (edited) The Tein Super Street kit is the most user friendly option, however as mentioned you do pay a bit more for the priviledge of on car adjustment.It really comes down to how you use your car 90% of the time, and how many track days you are going to do per year realistically.Also, learning your car has a lot to do with going faster around a track. Do a major suspension mod like a set of shocks or coilovers and hit the track with a professional driver, if you can steer your car around the track in the same lap time he can, then you need more mods. If you can't match the time, you need more practice!I agree with you 100% on that one. What do you think of this coilover set? Anyone used these yet? RRP $1599.00.http://www.wholesale....au/news-5.htmlJust curious as to what my options are. Pretty sure I'll just be doing sway bars & shock absorbers in the end though. Edited 17/07/12 11:44 PM by Στέλ
rbjet Skid Machine Legacy Donating Member 1,640 Member For: 15y 4m 10d Gender: Male Posted 18/07/12 12:21 AM Posted 18/07/12 12:21 AM Koni's are also a good option. Especially if you already have stiffer springs.Pat is the man to ask though since he's the expert here. 1
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 27d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 18/07/12 12:33 AM Posted 18/07/12 12:33 AM I agree with you 100% on that one. What do you think of this coilover set? Anyone used these yet? RRP $1599.00.http://www.wholesale....au/news-5.htmlJust curious as to what my options are. Pretty sure I'll just be doing sway bars & shock absorbers in the end though.Koni's or bilsteins will be a better shocks compared to the ones above, they are only really good if you want to slam the car and have it ride reasonably well
Στέλ U1ARUN Member 192 Member For: 14y 5m 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney, NSW Posted 18/07/12 01:38 AM Author Posted 18/07/12 01:38 AM So do you think for my application in using my car for every day commuting that a set of Koni Adjustables & Whiteline Sway Bars will do the trick?
rbjet Skid Machine Legacy Donating Member 1,640 Member For: 15y 4m 10d Gender: Male Posted 18/07/12 01:47 AM Posted 18/07/12 01:47 AM I would say yes.Also, if you do plan to do track days, take as much junk out of your car as possible. 2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now