Jump to content

Backfire And Now No Power


Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 28d
Posted

No, sorry not so simple, I was doing say 60klms/hr then got into it. The thing was it stayed "missing" for about a kilometre, at 80 klms/hr before I could pull over.

I have felt the traction control in other vehicles and that is momentary.

Some form of computer/throttle/electrical problem that sorted itself on start-up?

  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 27d
Posted

This happened to me too. Lots of smoke! Just put the vacuum hose back together and all will be OK.

Guest Kvntoday
  • Guests
Posted

Very interesting, MyXR6Tauto is going fine @4500km but have had two friends who have had this problem here in Kiwi land. Local Ford service agents are puzzled

Sure hope it does'nt happen to me ,

Love my car..Narooma Blue

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 13d
Posted

This problem seems to happen to a few XR6T owners!

Its happened to me too. Backfire through the turbo (but not usually the exhuast intake of the turbo!) blows a small tube off. I think its probably a crank case breather tube. Its not necessarily caused by using the accelerator during starting: it can just happen, and it can also happen if you earlier turned the car off after giving it a bit of a rev (perhaps leaves an over-rich mixture in the cylinder so next time you start it, there is more fuel there than there should be)

Mine occurred exactly as you stated: bad start. Stopped cranking it. Couple of seconds later re-cranked and bang, white smoke from the bonnet area (from a little bit of oil sprayed on the turbo by the tube) and idle around 2000-2500 rpm.

The car is still driveable in this state, but do not drive it hard. Be aware that it takes a while to settle back to idle each time the engine revs, and you may need to brake a little harder than normal because the engine may still drive for a few seconds.

The fix is easy: they replace the tube and also put some little clamps to hold it on.

When you get the car back, lift up the bonnet and check that the big black tube on the front of the turbo has been replaced properly. I think they remove it (its the turbo output pipe) to fix the other problem. I got mine back with that not reattached properly, et voila I had a car which sounded like it had a big popoff valve, and the turbo whine was insane. And I could see the turbo blades spinning when I had a look! (Interestingly, after you turn the car off they are so well balanced they spin for about another 5 mins!)

Not likely anything bad happened to your car, so dont stress over it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...