Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here, previously I have driven 2 N/A BA falcons and then an '05 Pajero, have recently got myself an '08 FG XR6T which is an absolutely awesome car, has so many more features than the pajero, kinda puts it to shame haha.

Anyway, it was an ex highway patrol car and mechanically it runs great, it has a mountain load of power and no unusual engine noises at all.

The only problems that I can find are that when accelerating quiet hard, between any gear change above around 3000rpm, it makes a rather loud clunk (the best way to describe the noise is kinda like when the mud flaps hit a speed bump) I have had a look underneath and cannot find anything out of the ordinary (though I am no mechanic, I always give everything a go). I was wondering if someone on here may have a suggestion on what it may be?

The other problem is a sort of grinding noise that happens when crusing, it goes away when accelerating and goes away when coasting and happens in any gear, was thinking maybe the diff?? the other noise is a metallic rattle that happens only when turning left and happenes from the front right wheel, I suspect a loose rotor shield cover thing (forgot what its proper name is), just have to get around to taking the wheel off and having a look.

Also, anyone know what mods (if any) the cops may have left on (bigger alternator perhaps?)

I am looking forward to joining in with the forum and getting the mods started, however think I will have to do some saving to keep up with others on here.. as yet the only mod is a dash mat and new front speakers lol. I was thinking of doing a mod to the factory airbox which would be similar to the one on my BA, whereby I cut a hole in the front of the box and run a piece of rectangle shaped plastic gutter pipe under the headlight, I remember this giving my BA a quiet but nice roar under heavy throttle, see if I can achieve this on the FG!! :D

Cheers

Marc

  • Banned
  • Member For: 17y 2m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Aspendale, Vic.
Posted

prob best take it to ford. most likley under warranty and all still. Problems could all be the diff / tailshaft.

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

Hi,

Took it in to ford today to have a number of things looked at.

1. Mirror temp probe was reading 28 degrees on a 40 degree day - replaced under warranty.

2. Scrape from front right wheel when turning left - they said they couldnt replicate the noise, but I heard it loud and clear on the drive home, I have removed the caliper / pads and found no stones, but did notice a 0.5-1mm deep gouge right around the disc.

3. Knocking when accelerating anywhere over 3000rpm - Fixed, unless I accelerate up past 4000rpm (quiet rare) so not worried about it, also its much less than before.

4. Grinding noise from diff - apparently this noise is normal for all Ford FG xr6t's .. anyones make a whirring / grinding noise when cruising (not when coasting or accelerating) the noise is noticable with the radio on moderately loud.

All up cost me 120 dollars for them to tighten the suspension (apparently most support bolts were either loose or almost about to fall out) the guy behind the counter said that the suspension bolts are to be checked and tightened at ALL services (it was serviced less that 2000k's ago) and that it looks like it hasnt been done in a while. I had to pay to have the bolts re-done, even though it was ford's fault it was like that in the first place, obviously a mechanic that had no clue on what he was doing?

Would it be wise to email ford head office demanding a refund (the service centre said they would be unable to complete the work for free) becuase it was due to the ford mechanics not doing their job properly that the car was in that condition??

Cheers

Marc

  • Banned
  • Member For: 17y 2m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Aspendale, Vic.
Posted

GL with anything regarding ford servicing and head office. Read all the horror stories EVERYONE bar a hand full of people have with FORD centers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...