Guest CANOPUS Guests Posted 06/11/03 02:16 AM Posted 06/11/03 02:16 AM Hi AllI know that this topic has been discussed here before but after doing a lot more investigative work thought that I might share the results of this with others.Ford recommends that the first oil change be done at 15,000 but I have come to the conclusion that this this is far too long and will probably do a lot more harm than good.Ford claim that due to advances in engine manufacturing, oil and filter technology 15,000 k's is the recommendation.Yes things are better, but not that much. For example, the filter is exactly the same filter that Ford use in all models since 59. I suspect that Ford recognise that the Fleet market is critical for them and by specifiying such a large service interval it cuts operating costs down and thus makes the vehicle more attractive to the bean counters of fleet owners. (whom seem to have an inordinate amount to say on vehicle selection)If you also have a close look at the handbook Ford recommend more frequent servicing including transmission & diff oil changes under certain operating circumstances.I came to the conclusion the following:1. Change oil & filter at 1,500 km2. Change again at either 5,000 or 7,500 depending upon the type of driving you do.3. Therafter change at 5,000 or 7,500 km intervals, again depending your driving.4. Do not use synthetics until at least 15,000km (I used Magnatec but there are other good oils as well)5. From my obversations, the "Ford" oil filter is exactly the same (except colour) as a Ryco filter and if you tell this to your Ford Dealer he will probably match the price ($6) that you can get a Ryco anywhere else.6. At 7 litres mine overfills - so be careful and check levels I finally got to 1,500km this week (took 2 months) and so I did the oil change. It was easy, cheap ($40) and did not take long. Whislt the drained oil did not look too bad, I believed that it needed changing.I reckon that it is a cheap investment for such a great motor
DavoWA Proud Team Blueprint member Member 286 Member For: 23y 5m 27d Location: Perth Posted 06/11/03 05:13 AM Posted 06/11/03 05:13 AM I reckon that it is a cheap investment for such a great motor :banghead:At the end of the day, a wise bit of advice and a sensible procedure if that's what you're comfortable with. :banghead:
aaronmihe Upstanding Member Member 759 Member For: 23y 1m 7d Location: Canberra - ACT Posted 06/11/03 05:30 AM Posted 06/11/03 05:30 AM I'm doing 3000km Change of oil, then at 7500km before slipping into 7500km intervals.I'll have to pay for the changes but have every faith that by looking after the motor in this way I'll be more likely to want to keep what has been the equalmost (at this point) troublefree new car I've owned thus far.A.
KrasH Bloody Orange Team (BOT) Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 23y 3m 19d Gender: Male Location: Canberra, Australia Posted 06/11/03 10:24 AM Posted 06/11/03 10:24 AM hrm.. When I bought the ol' Pulsar SSS in 1998, at the 1000km service they changed the oil and filter. I remember taking a look at the dipstick with the oil on it just before the 80,000 service and I must say that I was amazed at how clean the oil looked even after doing 10,000 in a 80,000km car. My brother drives it now and it has over 105,000km on the clock and the motor is still bullet proof and the oil still looks suprisingly clean. (although not as clean as it was at the 80,000 mark). I'm hoping the XR6T can imitate this feat. So far so good. *touch wood*
CHIPS Great rack Legacy Donating Member 1,351 Member For: 23y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Geelong Vic. Posted 06/11/03 11:15 AM Posted 06/11/03 11:15 AM I was a bit slack Didn't change the oil till nearly 10,000k's Oh well, better late than never I guess.................
CHIPS Great rack Legacy Donating Member 1,351 Member For: 23y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Geelong Vic. Posted 06/11/03 11:17 AM Posted 06/11/03 11:17 AM Mind you, it hadn't used a drop either..
Guest skanka Guests Posted 06/11/03 11:54 PM Posted 06/11/03 11:54 PM I have an oil leak at 5000km's,dealer is looking into it monday. :(
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now