notorious benny Member 54 Member For: 18y 2m 5d Posted 06/09/10 02:40 AM Posted 06/09/10 02:40 AM Hey guys, I made the mistake of putting cheap rubber on my FG.I currently have Federal 595SS tyres on my FG and I am very very un-impressed!They are acceptable in the dry but in the wet they are bordering on downright dangerous!I previously had the Toyo T1R's on my FG and before that the stock Dunlops.I am looking for stability and wet weather ability, from some research the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetrtics consistently get good reports. The Bridstone adrenalines seem to get mixed reports and I cannot seem to find too much info about The Michelin PS3'sI am shopping in the 245/45/R18 sizeI am leaning towards the Goodyear Eagle F1's at $420 a cornerI have also found a supplier here who will sell me Michelin PS3's for $430 a corner.I am interested in hearing from peoples experiences with Goodyear F1's, Michelin PS3's and Brdigestone Adrenalines........ also willing to consider Conti CS3 tryes but have a feeling I will be looking at 600 a corner for them.........
notorious benny Member 54 Member For: 18y 2m 5d Posted 06/09/10 03:17 AM Author Posted 06/09/10 03:17 AM Update....The Conti Sport Contacts are in the mix as well now ...... $468 per corner...
Turbo6FG Legacy Donating Member 497 Member For: 16y 7m 1d Gender: Male Posted 06/09/10 05:31 AM Posted 06/09/10 05:31 AM If you want wet weather stability don't go for the Adrenalines. I have them in 245/35/19 they are an excellent tyre in the dry but hopeless in the wet they are simply too slippery. (Great fun though doing this without losing too much rubber ) They cost $510 each fitted & balanced I imagine they'd be slightly cheaper in 18s.Everyone seems to favour the Toyo T1Rs why don't you just put them on again? Did you not like them?
notorious benny Member 54 Member For: 18y 2m 5d Posted 06/09/10 08:59 AM Author Posted 06/09/10 08:59 AM (edited) Your right, I was happy with the T1R's their dry weather grip was excellent but they werent as good as the factory Dunlop sport maxx's in the wet. Still far far better than the federals in the wet though......I can get Dunlops again for 380 a cornerToyo T1R's for 360ADrenalines for 415Goodyear Eagle F1's for 420Michelin PS3 for 430Conti SC 3 for 468 ........I am not to concerned about the price of any of these and am more interested in what gives the bes wet performance out of them all....... Edited 06/09/10 09:00 AM by notorious benny
nelsonian101 Legacy Donating Member 961 Member For: 18y 3m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 06/09/10 09:29 AM Posted 06/09/10 09:29 AM I do 50,000kms per annum for work (currently in a FGXR6T) and have done so for the last 15 years.I've tried just about every road tyre worth trying out there. I cannot recommend the Goodyear F1's enough!!In the wet, nothing comes close.NOTHING.They have to be experienced to be believed. In the dry, they perform perfectly too. I have a 1yo daughter with another on the way and seriously man, I wouldn't drive on anything else.I'm onto my second set purchased from tirerack.com for only $190USD ea. back when the exhange rate was in the 90c range.Freight was only $200.Saved me about $1000 and I couldn't be happier.I've used the Adrenalines in the past in 17" on a Commodore, but these tyres are like chalk and cheese.You can't go wrong with the Michelins either but for wet weather performance where it really counts in an emergency, my vote goes to the F1's.
aiboart Member 665 Member For: 21y 8m 17d Posted 06/09/10 10:46 AM Posted 06/09/10 10:46 AM What the above post said.Goodyear F1 Asymmetric are phenomenal.Transients you wouldn't believe, ultra high sustained G performance, wet performance, dry performance, braking, traction and critically for a road car, completely benign behavior towards the limit everywhere...I will be looking to buy my third set soon.Regards,aa
KeithTheBricklayer Legacy Donating Member 450 Member For: 16y 10m 11d Gender: Male Location: perth Posted 06/09/10 10:57 AM Posted 06/09/10 10:57 AM u just bought Toyo R1R in 18/245cant beilive how good they drive an grip! well worth the extra cash! but it pays to shop around! the first shop I went to wanted $488 each!but I talked to a friend an he got me some for $380 each! I thought this was so expensive for tyres.. but now there on my car it feels twice as fast an every thing! I wouldnt recomend any thing else from my experience now
notorious benny Member 54 Member For: 18y 2m 5d Posted 06/09/10 11:23 AM Author Posted 06/09/10 11:23 AM R1R's are a semi slick compound ..... I was lucky to get 18,000 km out of my T1R's so I dont think the R1R is quite what I am after considering I travel about 35000 kms a year including towing a ski boat.......
Dyno Junkie Member 254 Member For: 19y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Ascot, Western Australia Posted 06/09/10 12:10 PM Posted 06/09/10 12:10 PM Without a doubt the best all round tyre I have ever used is Continental CSC3.On one of our cars I'm running 245/35/19's front and 275/30/19's rear.Not cheap, but definately worth the extra coin.
icer Banned 2,335 Member For: 17y 2m 16d Gender: Male Location: Aspendale, Vic. Posted 06/09/10 12:15 PM Posted 06/09/10 12:15 PM the f1's were awesome when I had them in the wet. But when pushing 330rwkw through them in my early days in the dry...well they gripped like any normal tyre.... *no grip*. So I moved to the semi slicks. I wasnt expecting them to hold down the power but yeah.great tyre in the wet.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now