Knocking Noise - Abs Unit?

• Member For: 15y 5m 30d

G'day everyone

Since I have owned my T it experiences a knocking sound after startup.

Series of events:

Startup, drive to almost exactly 10km/h (every time), then it goes knocka-knocka-knocka-knocka-knocka and then no more noise until next startup.

Braking performance is normal. I was told that it was the abs unit - because the discs and pads were worn out - but after I fitted new discs and pads the noise came back. I got one start and take off without any noise - woohoo!

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

Chris

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 10d

Mine does the same...you start it...then put it in drive and about 5 seconds later you hear that knocking noise for about 3 seconds and then nothing everything is normal...mine does this without fail every time...I have always wondered wether this is normal...

• Member For: 15y 5m 30d

here's a possibility - when I was dismantling my front end (for some nice new nolathane bushes to go in) - I noticed that the brake line coming through the bodywork on the passengers side had chopped through its grommet. I'll fix this and see if it fixes the problem once I get the front end back together.

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 12d

ABS self test..

Next service just get them to check the sensors are ok... I had one a bit flakey on the startup test thingy... but once the car had moved and hit the brakes it was fine... Dealers wasnt sure why the 'test' wasnt 100% but the ABS sensor and rest of the system was fine!

They just replaced it anyays.. :)

Edited by smicky