Oil Temperature

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

• ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 2d

I just put in an oil temperature gauge (autometer cobalt).

I've noticed that in general traffic it rises to 210F (100C). I haven't given it a proper drive since I put it in, just waiting for the opportunity.

I'm using Nulon 10W40, would the Nulon 15W50 fully synthetic allow a lower temperature?

I thought 80C-90C was optimal. Is this right?

I noticed this article which talks about the engine management system dropping power after 150C:

AutoSpeed - The XR6 Turbo According to Ford - Part Two

What temperatures have people running oil temperature gauges noticed with what oil?

thanks,

Jono

• Member For: 16y 11m 24d

Re

I thought 80C-90C was optimal. Is this right?

Yes if you fit an Engine Oil Cooler like I did !

Normal driving 80 - 85C. Once I start giving it some stick going up a steep hill it will go to 100C.

Without Oil Cooler it will go to 120C +.

Edited by f-wolf

• Member For: 17y 10m 14d

I have an autometer cobalt engine oil temp gauge as well that I have t'eed next to the oil pressure sensor. I dont think it is reading right, it takes a while to start showing a temp like a good 10-15 mins after starting. It also just keeps rising with normal driving all the way upto 300 F (~150 deg C). This couldnt be right, anyone have an ideas what could be happening?

• Member For: 14y 2m 16d

I agree it does take several minutes for the oil temp to rise but normally is sits around 100 degrees when fully warmed up. Even giving it abit I didnt notice it go above that. I think from defult if my temp goes over 140 degrees the warning light will come on! lol

• Member For: 16y 11m 28d

I have an electronicas well that I have t'eed next to the oil pressure sensor. I dont think it is reading right, it takes a while to start showing a temp like a good 10-15 mins after starting. It also just keeps rising with normal driving all the way upto 300 F (~150 deg C). This couldnt be right, anyone have an ideas what could be happening?

ive never used or installed a gauge like yours but when your saying its teed of your oil pressure sender how ?

are you saying you have both connected to the oil pressure sender as in two wires both coming off the oil sender ?

a pic would help

cheers trev

• Member For: 17y 10m 14d

I said its next to the pressure sensor, I placed a T piece between the pressure sensor and the rest of the fittings so it reads the temp from there. It has its own sensor for temp. The car never over heats or drops power so I think the gauge is fauly in some way.

• Member For: 16y 11m 28d

I said its next to the pressure sensor, I placed a T piece between the pressure sensor and the rest of the fittings so it reads the temp from there. It has its own sensor for temp. The car never over heats or drops power so I think the gauge is fauly in some way.

oh sh*t I didnt see that well if you think the guage or sender is rooted and its not that hard to remove id try putting the temp sender in water and bringing it to the boil connected and see if its read 100c as the water boils

cheers trev

• Member For: 16y 11m 24d

Re

it takes a while to start showing a temp like a good 10-15 mins after starting

Yes that is correct. The water temp takes about 3km's to get to the point where the thermostat starts to open. Engine oil may take up to 10km's of normal driving before it gets to 80C plus.

I got both OIL TEMP and WATER TEMP Gauges fitted to my T. The water temp sender unit is fitted after the thermostat in line with the top radiator hose, so I can see when the thermostat starts to open. I summer I use a 82C thermostat and in winter a 88C.

On my car engine oil will not flow through the oil cooler till the oil reaches 80C. The unit / system is fitted with a bimetal thermostat.

Edited by f-wolf

• ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 2d

Without Oil Cooler it will go to 120C +.

mine almost hit 120C last night with some harder driving, then if I just cruised for a while it would drop back to 100C.

I have an autometer cobalt engine oil temp gauge as well that I have t'eed next to the oil pressure sensor. I dont think it is reading right, it takes a while to start showing a temp like a good 10-15 mins after starting. It also just keeps rising with normal driving all the way upto 300 F (~150 deg C). This couldnt be right, anyone have an ideas what could be happening?

My sensor is in a sandwich plate behind the oil filter and it does similar but doesn't go past 100C with normal driving.

I'm thinking the most accurate place for the sensor would actually be the sump. thoughts?

Oil is going to be different temperatures at different parts of the motor, and perhaps some of the heat is dispersed when it gathers in the sump.