woofer908 Member 25 Member For: 17y 7m 28d Posted 15/01/10 02:15 AM Posted 15/01/10 02:15 AM G'day, About three weeks ago I purchased a 2005 BF MK 1 XR6T auto. The car has done 85,000 kms. In the last week the car has been running fine, until it goes above 4000-4500 rpm. After that the car loses power and begins to shudder. Just today I had to pull over because the car was running so rough. Once I pulled over it ran like crap, until I turned the car off and then on again. It then ran the same, although I didn't push it above 4000 rpm.I replaced the battery today as the other one crapped itself and still it was the same. For your info the car is stock standard.Any help with answers would be appreciated.Leigh
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 15/01/10 02:58 AM Posted 15/01/10 02:58 AM (edited) if you get a slightly stuttery rpm's when you hold the revs around 4k in nuetral , that usually means coil packs , had another one go on the work ute the other day , the higher the revs or the more load you put on the engine the worse it gets ,at 85k kms it might still have the original plugs in it too Edited 15/01/10 03:00 AM by our06t
woofer908 Member 25 Member For: 17y 7m 28d Posted 15/01/10 03:10 AM Author Posted 15/01/10 03:10 AM Pardon my ignorance, but what are the coil packs? The car will still have a 3 month second hand warranty, so hopefully they will fix it for me. Thanks for the quick reply
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 15/01/10 03:25 AM Posted 15/01/10 03:25 AM your right mate , these things don't have the old distributer and lead type set ups , on top of each spark plug is a little coil pack that provides the spark , they commonly break down from heat and moisture , they live under they black plastic cover that runs down the top center of the engine ,if they have trouble finding a problem at ford take it to one of the workshops on here and get them to do a dyno run and see whats happening then take it back to ford
woofer908 Member 25 Member For: 17y 7m 28d Posted 15/01/10 04:21 AM Author Posted 15/01/10 04:21 AM Thanks mate. I will take it to Ford and see what they have to say...
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 15/01/10 04:28 AM Posted 15/01/10 04:28 AM (edited) don't count on ford to find the problem they don't have the best history when it comes too finding bugs in these cars .If they don't work it out straight away take it to one of the workshops in the sponsors sec for a check up Edited 15/01/10 04:29 AM by our06t
SuckSqueezeBangBlow ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs Legacy Donating Member 1,808 Member For: 17y 9m 21d Gender: Male Posted 15/01/10 08:24 AM Posted 15/01/10 08:24 AM if you confident enough I would be changing these yourself at your own expense rather than taking it to Ford to have some apprentice thrash your car.
woofer908 Member 25 Member For: 17y 7m 28d Posted 15/01/10 11:30 AM Author Posted 15/01/10 11:30 AM I do like to tinker a bit. How much is a fresh set of coils?
Benji_vs Legacy Donating Member 403 Member For: 18y 5m Gender: Male Location: East Suburbs Melbourne Posted 15/01/10 12:01 PM Posted 15/01/10 12:01 PM Coils or plugs, try changing your plugs. I had the exact same problem and that fixed it. Coils are about 150-160 or so on ebay. Ford may charge more.
woofer908 Member 25 Member For: 17y 7m 28d Posted 15/01/10 10:00 PM Author Posted 15/01/10 10:00 PM (edited) I'm hoping that Ford will do it under warranty (three month warranty with second hand cars). Although I am not holding my breath... If they don't do that, then I will have a go at changing them myself. Might just change coil and spark plugs while I'm at it Edited 15/01/10 10:01 PM by woofer908
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now