Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Straya
Posted

Over the past month I've noticed a slight whine coming from the rear of the car, in reverse and in 1st gear. Today I reversed out of my driveway, went down to 7/11 and parked up there. I reversed out of the car park and suddenly when I reversed the rear of the car thudded, like the rear brakes were locking up when I was reversing. I drove it home hoping it wouldn't get any worse, as I reversed up my driveway it did the same thing again, I drove around the block to see if the first gear was ok, but its absolutely shot as well, the car does a minor thudding thing when I take off in first.

I have asked about changing the transmission oil in the other forums but noone replied, haha.

Any ideas on what it could be? Has my one legger finally kicked the bucket?

05 ba mkII, 4sp auto.

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

Could be the box mate, get it down to a specialist and get them to sheck it out. If you don' want to drive it, try putting the rear on jack stands and turn the rear wheels with the box in neutral. This may tell you if the diff is gone or its the box. :B):

  • Damn You's A Sexy Chich
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 7m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Your House
Posted

Sounds like similar symptoms to my old BA n/a turns out the box was shot, replaced it and it was like new again. hopefully its not your box but if its doing it only in reverse and in first, that would be my guess. any noises while travelling at speed or only when moving from stationary? I.e does it whine right through first and then go away when it hits second...?

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Straya
Posted

Whines when its in first, the soon as it shifts to second, its fine. I did notice travelling at about 80ks, I can hear a faint whine if theres no throttle, apply a tiny bit of throttle and it goes away.

I just jacked up the left rear side of the car, the wheel moves freely forward, however doesn't go backwards. I have not tried the right side as of yet.

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Straya
Posted

Spoke to Steve at Elite today, about $3,500 for a standard rebuild. Might need to win the lotto hahah.

  • Damn You's A Sexy Chich
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 7m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Your House
Posted

if its whining in first then it definitely sounds like the same problem mine had, mine was just an XT so not 100% sure if the box for all n/a's are the same, but from memory I think I scored a second hand 4 speed for around $700 at a wreckers. I'd take it to a good mechanic or to someone who can diagnose it for sure before you go forking out any cash for anything.

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Straya
Posted

How difficult would it be to install a LSD out of an xr6t to mine? Is there any computer flashing required?

I reckon it's definately the gearbox however the diff could use a bit of a brush up as well. Was thinking of getting the box rebuilt by elite and then installing a lsd myself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...