DavoXT DavoXT Member 129 Member For: 23y 8m 11d Location: 1500km north of Perth Posted 17/09/03 03:38 AM Posted 17/09/03 03:38 AM While driving to the local town (400km round trip) I reset the avg speed on the computor and it read 5 to 7kph out compaired to my speedo.Sorry officer that should read 10-20km over not 20-30km, I wonder which is correct and how can I correct it so both read the same.
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 2d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 17/09/03 06:02 AM Posted 17/09/03 06:02 AM I don't think theres anything wrong with the trip computer it shows AVERAGE SPEED not the speed you are currently doing. So because you slow down for traffic, changing speed limits, traffic signs etc it gives a lower average because these slower speeds have been calculated aswell. To get the speed to be the same you would need to reset the trip computer at speed and maintain that speed with no decreases for a period of time.I do about 60% town 40% highway driving and my average speed hasn't gone above 40kmh because of the slow town driving even though I've travelled at 110kmh for 2 hours constantly a few times.
F6 RAPID Formerly Turbo6 Legacy Donating Member 2,332 Member For: 23y 8m 20d Location: North Brisbane Posted 17/09/03 06:22 AM Posted 17/09/03 06:22 AM Dude, what I think Davo means is this, drive along at 100km/hr as best you can and put your cruise on. Then scroll through your trip meter until you find your average km/hr and then reset it while sitting on 100 and have a look at your average speed and you will see it will most likely say 96 ish km/hr. By doing this, it negates all that stop-start - obviously.This is something I noticed also.
DavoXT DavoXT Member 129 Member For: 23y 8m 11d Location: 1500km north of Perth Posted 17/09/03 06:26 AM Author Posted 17/09/03 06:26 AM Yer I no its the avg speed but if you reset while moving it will give you your current speed.So it should read the same as the speedo, like police mode.
KrasH Bloody Orange Team (BOT) Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 23y 3m 6d Gender: Male Location: Canberra, Australia Posted 17/09/03 08:25 AM Posted 17/09/03 08:25 AM I wouldn't be suprised if the speed is a little "off". My pulsar SSS speedo is off by a few km's. Last summer there were those "your true speed" trailers around the place and basically, the trailer said true speed was 80km/h, my car speedo read about 82-83km/h. I remember the XF was off a bit aswell. It used to get serviced at a Dyno place, and the sheet they'd give had speedo reading 100km/h, real speed 96km/h. But I must say that the funniest must be the NSW police WRX's. They were apparently out by upto 18km/h or thereabouts at 120km/h or 130km/h on speedo I think (speedo read say 130km/h, you were actually going 110km/h or something). Had something to do with the tyre choice or something along those lines.
DallasQLD Legacy Donating Member 1,197 Member For: 23y 9m 23d Gender: Male Location: Albany Creek QLD Posted 17/09/03 09:12 AM Posted 17/09/03 09:12 AM I know the speedo in mine reads fast by 5KPH at 100. On my digital speedo I get 100 KPH and on the dial I get 105Checked it coming intp Victoria on that overhead radar tester. Digital exact speedo out by 5KPH
NT TURBO Member 1,128 Member For: 23y 6m 13d Gender: Male Location: Darwin NT Posted 17/09/03 09:46 AM Posted 17/09/03 09:46 AM I know the speedo in mine reads fast by 5KPH at 100. On my digital speedo I get 100 KPH and on the dial I get 105Checked it coming intp Victoria on that overhead radar tester. Digital exact speedo out by 5KPH Yep and at 230 it reads just over 240! lol
plonky The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium Member 1,766 Member For: 23y 5m 19d Location: Dodge Scat Pack Posted 17/09/03 01:15 PM Posted 17/09/03 01:15 PM The Australian standard on speedometer accuracy is 10% (remember that when you take a Victorian speed camera ticket to Court)There is an art to maintaining a constant speed to check the accuracy of a speedometer. There is only one place in Sydney (Injection Perfection) that places the car on a dynometer and calibrates the digital (additional) speedo for the HWP cars.You will generally find that the digital speedometer on modern cars is accurate to within 3%. The trouble you may have when trying to estimate whether your analogue speedo is accurate is parallex error when looking at the needle and digits and the fact that normal speedometers are only calibrated in 5kmh increments as opposed to 2kmh increments on HWP vehicles.
dankman Member 270 Member For: 23y 2m 7d Location: zadank village Canberra Posted 17/09/03 11:08 PM Posted 17/09/03 11:08 PM I know the speedo in mine reads fast by 5KPH at 100. On my digital speedo I get 100 KPH and on the dial I get 105Checked it coming intp Victoria on that overhead radar tester. Digital exact speedo out by 5KPH If that's the one just past wodonga heading south, I've noticed no matter what car I take under that thing, I'm always out by 5 kp/hUsually it says I'm going slower than whats on the speedo.All of the newer falcons we have here at work show the same reading, although the holdens seem to be almost right.Revenue raising? or is Ford putting out their cars 5 kp/h slower?Or is that sign just f**ked?
dankman Member 270 Member For: 23y 2m 7d Location: zadank village Canberra Posted 17/09/03 11:10 PM Posted 17/09/03 11:10 PM The Australian standard on speedometer accuracy is 10% (remember that when you take a Victorian speed camera ticket to Court)There is an art to maintaining a constant speed to check the accuracy of a speedometer. There is only one place in Sydney (Injection Perfection) that places the car on a dynometer and calibrates the digital (additional) speedo for the HWP cars.You will generally find that the digital speedometer on modern cars is accurate to within 3%. The trouble you may have when trying to estimate whether your analogue speedo is accurate is parallex error when looking at the needle and digits and the fact that normal speedometers are only calibrated in 5kmh increments as opposed to 2kmh increments on HWP vehicles. ahhh that could be it Thanks plonky
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now