bigmick New Member 7 Member For: 18y 8m 13d Posted 11/09/09 01:02 PM Posted 11/09/09 01:02 PM Hi GuysI think I know what your all going to say but here goes. I have a 2003 BA xr6 turbo, it is currently having the valve springs, injectors, fuel pump and wastegate changed, it is currently producing 346.8rwkw the tuner is having a few problems with the car surging when the accelerator is flat on the floor, it feels as if it is bunny hopping. It does however feel fine when you drive it normally. He Thinks that maybe the boost sensor is acting up or the throttle body is the problem, but not me, I don't think it's going to be either. Now I'm not going to pay him a cent until this is worked out, but my feeling is that it is going to need a larger intercooler as it only has the stock one on there now. What do you guys think, and if my hunch is correct and it needs the larger intercooler what are your suggestions?
b-rad Legacy Donating Member 257 Member For: 18y 4m 28d Location: townsville Posted 11/09/09 01:07 PM Posted 11/09/09 01:07 PM (edited) not sure a cooler would cause such an issue but 300+ off the stock cooler maybe u should change it any waysand also ~350 off a stock cooler maybe you should check to see if it is stock and also you should be finding a new tunerwas else has been done ?? zorst? Edited 11/09/09 01:09 PM by b-rad
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 21d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 11/09/09 01:21 PM Posted 11/09/09 01:21 PM Where abouts do you live?
bigmick New Member 7 Member For: 18y 8m 13d Posted 11/09/09 01:32 PM Author Posted 11/09/09 01:32 PM Thanks for the quick replies, I live in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. The car has also had a hi flow cat installed with dual 2.5inch pipes from the cat back, it has XR6 IC Piping OEM stage 2 kit from plazmaman, and a typhoon snorkel added to the air box, other than that, all else standard.Thanks
Redback Banned 236 Member For: 17y 3m 29d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown NSW Posted 11/09/09 11:18 PM Posted 11/09/09 11:18 PM Mate listen to your tuner and if you don't trust him you shouldn't have taken it there. Could be a number off things but it shouldn't be that hard to diagnose on the dyno. BTW it won't be your intercooler causing a surging issue.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 21d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 12/09/09 01:18 AM Posted 12/09/09 01:18 AM Make sure the fuel pump is still plumbed up right inside the tank... if the small hose comes loose it will surge like mad.that's also high power through the stock cooler, inlet temps will be massive so caution in summer time mate.
bigmick New Member 7 Member For: 18y 8m 13d Posted 12/09/09 12:27 PM Author Posted 12/09/09 12:27 PM Well It Seems like Rapid was on the money. It's amazing what a full tank of fuel does, it wasn't empty, it had about a quarter of a tank in it when we had the problem, fill her up, problem gone. So I'm assuming it's a fuel pump problem, It's now running like a dream, so back to the tuner get him to fix that up and then I'll pay him.But I will take your advice on board and next week I'm of to Plazmaman for a larger intercooler.Thanks again for your help
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 21d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 13/09/09 01:51 AM Posted 13/09/09 01:51 AM Lots of options out there for intercoolers bigmick, size up the options before jumping in PM Chris @ rapidsystems for options, as demonstrated here he obviously knows his stuff!
jacob_xr6turbo Legacy Donating Member 433 Member For: 19y 29d Location: Richmond, Melbourne Posted 25/09/09 04:27 AM Posted 25/09/09 04:27 AM I wouldn't run anything over 290rwkw with a stock cooler. At 275rwkw I could feel my car losing power after a couple of full boost street runs.. and it wasn't even warm.Plus with the boost leak, your turbo would be running overtime to make high boost levels maybe?A good dyno tuner will always ensure the car has a full tank of fuel in it before putting it on the dyno, to avoid issues like this..
samhouston Legacy Donating Member 153 Member For: 17y 5m 2d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 25/09/09 05:13 AM Posted 25/09/09 05:13 AM I also had this problem last week when I took my car to a track day at QLD raceway.It is a FG XR6T ute stock as a rock with a CAI.I had 3/4 of a tank of fuel, it just wouldnt rev out and was rediculously annoying.Any ideas on what that could be? It was a very hot day.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now