Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • New Member
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d
Posted

Hi Guys

I think I know what your all going to say but here goes. I have a 2003 BA xr6 turbo, it is currently having the valve springs, injectors, fuel pump and wastegate changed, it is currently producing 346.8rwkw the tuner is having a few problems with the car surging when the accelerator is flat on the floor, it feels as if it is bunny hopping. It does however feel fine when you drive it normally. He Thinks that maybe the boost sensor is acting up or the throttle body is the problem, but not me, I don't think it's going to be either.

Now I'm not going to pay him a cent until this is worked out, but my feeling is that it is going to need a larger intercooler as it only has the stock one on there now.

What do you guys think, and if my hunch is correct and it needs the larger intercooler what are your suggestions?

:beerchug:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 29d
  • Location: townsville
Posted (edited)

not sure a cooler would cause such an issue

but 300+ off the stock cooler maybe u should change it any ways

and also ~350 off a stock cooler maybe you should check to see if it is stock and also you should be finding a new tuner

was else has been done ?? zorst?

Edited by b-rad
  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perff, WA
Posted

Where abouts do you live?

  • New Member
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d
Posted

Thanks for the quick replies, I live in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney.

The car has also had a hi flow cat installed with dual 2.5inch pipes from the cat back, it has XR6 IC Piping OEM stage 2 kit from plazmaman, and a typhoon snorkel added to the air box, other than that, all else standard.

Thanks

  • Banned
  • Member For: 17y 4m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Blacktown NSW
Posted

Mate listen to your tuner and if you don't trust him you shouldn't have taken it there. Could be a number off things but it shouldn't be that hard to diagnose on the dyno. BTW it won't be your intercooler causing a surging issue.

  • Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

Make sure the fuel pump is still plumbed up right inside the tank... if the small hose comes loose it will surge like mad.

that's also high power through the stock cooler, inlet temps will be massive so caution in summer time mate.

  • New Member
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d
Posted

Well It Seems like Rapid was on the money. It's amazing what a full tank of fuel does, it wasn't empty, it had about a quarter of a tank in it when we had the problem, fill her up, problem gone.

So I'm assuming it's a fuel pump problem, It's now running like a dream, so back to the tuner get him to fix that up and then I'll pay him.

But I will take your advice on board and next week I'm of to Plazmaman for a larger intercooler.

Thanks again for your help

  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perff, WA
Posted

Lots of options out there for intercoolers bigmick, size up the options before jumping in :buttrock:

PM Chris @ rapidsystems for options, as demonstrated here he obviously knows his stuff!

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m
  • Location: Richmond, Melbourne
Posted

I wouldn't run anything over 290rwkw with a stock cooler. At 275rwkw I could feel my car losing power after a couple of full boost street runs.. and it wasn't even warm.

Plus with the boost leak, your turbo would be running overtime to make high boost levels maybe?

A good dyno tuner will always ensure the car has a full tank of fuel in it before putting it on the dyno, to avoid issues like this..

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 5m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

I also had this problem last week when I took my car to a track day at QLD raceway.

It is a FG XR6T ute stock as a rock with a CAI.

I had 3/4 of a tank of fuel, it just wouldnt rev out and was rediculously annoying.

Any ideas on what that could be? It was a very hot day.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...