Larger Cooler On Stock Tune.

stevet

• Member For: 16y 18d

I know the question 'Can I run a larger cooler without a tune?' has been asked many a time, and currently that's what im doing. I have a Hdi kit installed and my car running on stock tune while we work through a few issues with the retune. I am taking it very gently when I drive it, but I did push it once and under boost it seemed to make a 'popping' noise from the exhaust and performance was average. As soon as I heard the noise I realised it cant be good and didnt do it again but I just wondered what it was? Is that overboost? popping from the exhaust I thought would have been unburnt fuel in the exhaust? Hope I didnt do any damage, but its happy enough just cruzing around......

• Member For: 17y 8d

a small leaning out back fire maybe ?

I wouldnt be doing that again ask your tuner to give you a safe tune to use untill you work out what you want to do I done that last week when I changed my hotside piping and stuff around just in case it didnt cost me anything ,

thanks cv for that by the way

cheers trev

• Member For: 16y 11m 16d

I have a Hdi kit and it didnt like the stock tune. Engine light came on within a day of driving after I hit some boost before I got it tuned. Im sure its due to the restrictive UBP being removed and now the intake flows better. Get it tuned and enjoy the added power!

• Member For: 14y 8m 8d

You can run a 'bigger' but not too big intercooler on stock tune, but then again, why would u want to?

Cheapest option if u have a big cooler is just get a cappa flash box they are around 5-600 and then u need someone to tune it for u and that will work ok but remember whenever your upgrading things, other things will wear/brake. Make sure u do your research first before getting performance parts and then breaking or bending other parts.

good luck mate.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 20d

I've just recently installed a process west st2 intercooler & coldside piping kit (thanks Karl-Hiro F6) in my BA F6 Typhoon with no tune and have'nt really had any issues at all. It also has a ss inductions glowler air box, cat back exhaust and a turbosmart direct replacement BOV. The only thing I've noticed is when I'm slowing down and engadge the clutch the revs seem to drop to 450-500rpm for a split second and then returns to normal idle speed. I've upped it a couple of times and there's no real gain in power but that's were the tune comes in, which is next on my list. As long as ya don't give ya car too much of a hard time I can't see it causing too many issues. Only had my cooler in for a week so if anyone knows of any long term problems it might cause by all means let us know.

• Force Fed Fords
  • Member For: 15y 6m 18d
I've just recently installed a process west st2 intercooler & coldside piping kit (thanks Karl-Hiro F6) in my BA F6 Typhoon with no tune and have'nt really had any issues at all. It also has a ss inductions glowler air box, cat back exhaust and a turbosmart direct replacement BOV. The only thing I've noticed is when I'm slowing down and engadge the clutch the revs seem to drop to 450-500rpm for a split second and then returns to normal idle speed. I've upped it a couple of times and there's no real gain in power but that's were the tune comes in, which is next on my list. As long as ya don't give ya car too much of a hard time I can't see it causing too many issues. Only had my cooler in for a week so if anyone knows of any long term problems it might cause by all means let us know.

My mate's F6 had the similair popping noise slightly... note; only with injectors and custom tune this is, and took it back to the tuner and it was the vacuum line, after a little fiddle with that, its back to normal at the moment... Not sure if it will reoccur as the other thing he has done is that he put in platinum sprak plugs... They were originally gapped so there was no need to play around with that...