daav Member 93 Member For: 19y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: hillside Posted 08/06/09 10:16 AM Posted 08/06/09 10:16 AM hey guys, im looking at trying to make a home brew beer. does anyone have any past experiences with this. any information really would help, such as were to buy, costs, best time to do it( summer winter etc) and is it worth it? cheers!
chikt Drift Queen Member 802 Member For: 18y 9m 15d Gender: Female Location: Perth Posted 08/06/09 10:24 AM Posted 08/06/09 10:24 AM my dad used to do home brews. some of the ones he made were really good some were absolute failures. aparetly you can make home brew spirits too. that would be something to try as well I reckon
Under-Pants Member 2,103 Member For: 18y 3m 3d Gender: Not Telling Posted 08/06/09 10:28 AM Posted 08/06/09 10:28 AM How do you know what the beer tasted like? Girls aren't allowed to drink it remember
chikt Drift Queen Member 802 Member For: 18y 9m 15d Gender: Female Location: Perth Posted 08/06/09 10:29 AM Posted 08/06/09 10:29 AM why did u just quote my post kael??? you posted directly beneath mine
Under-Pants Member 2,103 Member For: 18y 3m 3d Gender: Not Telling Posted 08/06/09 10:33 AM Posted 08/06/09 10:33 AM Cause' MRDOSE is postng and it would look wierd if I were posting that directly below a blokes post!I was hoping for a funny 2008 era' style bite
mercuryturbo Oh look.... a real car, with no hair dryer Legacy Donating Member 1,724 Member For: 20y 1m 22d Gender: Male Location: Fear and Loathing in Callala Bay Posted 08/06/09 11:07 AM Posted 08/06/09 11:07 AM I've been brewing my own beer for a few years now. The best advice I can give you is to keep the whole process as simple as possible, be patient & keep everything as clean as possible.I mainly stick with Coopers which you can find in most Woolies & Coles outlets. It costs me between $5 & $7 for 24 375ml stubbies, depending on the particular brew I use (some are more exxy than others) so yes, financially it is worth it. Although the more you brew the more you drink. Summer is the best time to brew as the wort stabilises quicker in the warmer weather (7-8 days) although having said that some of my best beers have been brewed in Winter but you do need to leave the wort longer in the fermenter (anything up to 14 days)Mate, if your prepared to put the effort in, its very rewarding as theres nothing like brewing your own beer that tastes better than the commercial stuff. But it can be a bit of hard work & a fair bit of trial & error till you get it right.
Mike XR6T iTs alL DaRDy........ Legacy Donating Member 780 Member For: 19y 27d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 08/06/09 11:38 AM Posted 08/06/09 11:38 AM mouth watering topic this, I recon I migfht do this 2
sickd Member 128 Member For: 18y 11m 16d Posted 08/06/09 12:00 PM Posted 08/06/09 12:00 PM my pop use to do it he said to keep it in the dark also and keep the temperature at a constant temp too.that's my 2 cents worth lol
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 23d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 08/06/09 03:10 PM Posted 08/06/09 03:10 PM my old man done it for about 10 years... some of his beers were absolutely beatiful and some were downright flops, its all trial and error as said but after a while you begin to know what you like and stick to the same methods.he used to experiment with different sugars,sugar levels... different yeasts and all sorts of stuff.IMO the biggest pain about home brewing is cleaning the bottles before every brew, its a long painstaking process and if you dont clean them right... BOOM go your stubbies.A good mates just gotten into homebrew spirits, this looks MUCH easier and considering you can brew anywhere from 80% alcohol downwards, and thousands of different flavourings I think this is the way to go!
t6xr Member 826 Member For: 18y 11m 8d Gender: Male Location: MELB STH EAST Posted 08/06/09 06:26 PM Posted 08/06/09 06:26 PM Reading this thread making my mouth water One of my mates was making it a few years back and was a nice drop, later after succeding on beer he begun making spirits. I always wanted to give it a go making the stuff but been too lazy........I've seen a few set ups where the keg is in the bar fridge and the tap was plumbed through the door.mmmmmm....I need a drink.........
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now