BlackFG Member 15 Member For: 17y 11m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth WA Posted 24/04/09 04:46 AM Posted 24/04/09 04:46 AM Went into a performance shop today to enquire about high flow exhausts and suggested to the bloke that I may be supercharging later down the track and if it would affect the choice of pipe I make now.He said the N/A Xr6 engines are different to the Turbo engines through something like compression? And in order for my engine to hold up after time with a charger on it I would have to change/modify engine internals before I charged it.Is this true or is he having a laugh??Cheers
Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 23y 4d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 24/04/09 05:03 AM Posted 24/04/09 05:03 AM having a laugh........you are just going to use one of those CAPA superchargers right? provided your stock engine is healthy there is no need to rebuild for a low boost supercharger set up.
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 24/04/09 05:04 AM Posted 24/04/09 05:04 AM all depends how much boost you put into it mate there's plenty of broken turbo motors around too from running to much boost
BlackFG Member 15 Member For: 17y 11m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth WA Posted 24/04/09 06:10 AM Author Posted 24/04/09 06:10 AM Yeah I thought he was going to take me for a ride.Im going to put in a Raptor V hopefully sometime soon. Not going to bother with more boost.Thanks fellas
BFHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,932 Member For: 20y 6m 12d Gender: Male Location: nsw Posted 24/04/09 06:23 AM Posted 24/04/09 06:23 AM (edited) best option would be a stock turbo bottom end, mabee a bf2..fg turbo short block from ford at 2 to 3k iv heard.then your charger can run at 15 psi and make well over 300rwkw and a big NO TURBO sticker on the back window for shaming turbo owners at cruzes.are the fg n/a engines the same rods as turbo rods? Edited 24/04/09 06:26 AM by BFHOON
NVT Formerly EGOBFXR6 Legacy Donating Member 1,111 Member For: 18y 8m 1d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 24/04/09 08:24 AM Posted 24/04/09 08:24 AM (edited) Went into a performance shop today to enquire about high flow exhausts and suggested to the bloke that I may be supercharging later down the track and if it would affect the choice of pipe I make now.He said the N/A Xr6 engines are different to the Turbo engines through something like compression? And in order for my engine to hold up after time with a charger on it I would have to change/modify engine internals before I charged it.Is this true or is he having a laugh??CheersHey mate,Turbo's and N/A Engines do have a different compression ratio (That's what he was referring to...) Plenty of people on the forum have done the ' NA to Turbo" Project and I don't think that they have rebult engines in order to suit...People supercharge 6's and 8's all the time, and do not usually rebuild entire motors. He may not have been trying to rip you off, but merely saying to you that it would hold up much better with stronger internals. I.e you can run more power, for longer, put more boost through it etc... But I'd say you should be ok with the stock Internals. And if you were running a SC, you may want a bigger, more freely flowing system.The other posters all make good points as well mate. Provided you are not running your SC at 48psi, you should be fineMay I ask who it was? (We're not having a stab at them, I'm just interested.)Cheers mate,Dan Edited 24/04/09 08:29 AM by NVT
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now