twisty1 Member 65 Member For: 18y 1m 14d Posted 05/04/09 02:20 PM Posted 05/04/09 02:20 PM Hey guys.So I'm finally getting around to modifying my BA XR6 Turbo and as I'm sure you can imagine I've heard countless different opinions. I am a 19 year old student and I don’t want to spend all my money on my car but am aiming for around 320-350 rwhp. What are the things I need to be looking at doing in order to achieve this and how much am I looking at spending? And, will the 4spd auto last with this power?Moderators, if this topic is in the wrong section please feel free to move. Sorry, I’m only new to this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
mat685 Member 32 Member For: 18y 8m 15d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 06/04/09 12:24 AM Posted 06/04/09 12:24 AM I would think typhoon snorkel and an air filter. injectors/fuel pump and a flash tuner with a custom tune would seen you get that kind of power mate.
lorenz Member 24 Member For: 17y 7m 28d Gender: Male Location: Mosman Park, WA Posted 06/04/09 12:45 AM Posted 06/04/09 12:45 AM Flash Tuner - $650Tune -$800Injectors - $570Fuel Pump - $350Power stat - $35Cold Air Induction - $150Valve Springs - (Recommended if over 70,000k's) $895These should bring you to around 290rwkw, add Exhaust $1,500 to reach around 320rwkw.*All prices include labour by the way...
twisty1 Member 65 Member For: 18y 1m 14d Posted 06/04/09 01:47 AM Author Posted 06/04/09 01:47 AM I would think typhoon snorkel and an air filter. injectors/fuel pump and a flash tuner with a custom tune would seen you get that kind of power mate.Ah about the Typhoon snorkel and air filter.. I'm thinking about going down the Pod filter path (purely because of the flutters ) so is it still worth getting the Typhoon snorkel?Flash Tuner - $650Tune -$800Injectors - $570Fuel Pump - $350Power stat - $35Cold Air Induction - $150Valve Springs - (Recommended if over 70,000k's) $895These should bring you to around 290rwkw, add Exhaust $1,500 to reach around 320rwkw.*All prices include labour by the way...Thanks so much for that. Speaking of tunes, Mercury Motorsport have a new program where they can install a tune into a XRT without the Capa Box... do you guys think this is a good idea? Obviously (without the need for the box) it's going to be much less expensive but are there any problems with this?
NVT Formerly EGOBFXR6 Legacy Donating Member 1,111 Member For: 18y 7m 28d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 07/04/09 06:54 AM Posted 07/04/09 06:54 AM Hey twisty,I have 240rwkw, whcih equates to about 360rwhp I think...I have a 4spd Auto, 2004 BA MKI and I was also a uni student so I know exactly what you mean by financial restraints.I think Lorenz is on the right track, but that will get you WAAY more power than what you asked for, and as you can see you will definitely pay for it... You also have more change of your GB dying, and having other problems as the BA internals are like rubber...My advice for your mods would be as follows;Typhoon Snorkel (The POD is still fine, either/or IMO) The Snorkel is a tried and tested means of getting about 11 rwkws for a very small fee indeed, so its a great mod for cheap!Remove centre Muffler - Will give little to no power gain but give the car a louder/sportier note. (Free )New Cat - Or punch out your old one lol (Illegal, but a great cheap upgrade) Or Spend about $300-$400 for a new high-flow one. A new Cat is a HUGE improvment over stock.Flash Tune and Flash Tuner - Will about about 50 rwkw regardless of ny other mods. I have a CAI, Cat-back exhaust, which offers only sound - No power gain, and the tune and I have 240rwkw.So In short;F6 Snorkel ($80)New Cat ($400)Remove muffler (If you want a louder note)Flash Tune and Tuner ($1500)So that's about $2,000 for a car with the power that you want. The GB, springs and everything else should be fine. The stock injectors max out at about 240/250rwkw, so you may end up with 230rwkw. That, btw, is still light years ahead of stock! This will give you the power you want easily. Any more, and you will have to do springs, injectors, probably IC, fuel pump, so it is a good power point before spending big to get huge power.I tink the box is a great idea as you can change back to stock at any time, and if you are ever in the country where you cannot get 98 fuel, then it is a very good thing to have.Good luck with the mods mate,Dan
winstor Member 611 Member For: 17y 7m 4d Posted 07/04/09 10:50 AM Posted 07/04/09 10:50 AM 320 - 350 hp is 235.52 - 257.6 kW to be exact
twisty1 Member 65 Member For: 18y 1m 14d Posted 09/04/09 04:10 AM Author Posted 09/04/09 04:10 AM Thanks so much for that guys, much appreciated... especially NVT, great read dude!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now