Yamaha Subwoofer

theeone

• Member For: 20y 11m 9d

Hey folks, haven't been here for a while, OK, stupid question.

I had a Yamaha all in one Surrond/DVD/Tuner blah blah, I have since bought a Proper, all be it low end,

Yamaha receiver, but with no speakers as yet, so I have hooked up all the all in one speakers except the Sub

because the sub has a single RCA and a headphone Jack and the A/V receiver has nothing like this.

The Sub is Powered and the headphone jack in labelled "signal"

Anyone know how I might get around this in the short term????????..

Ta.

Dean.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 24d

What model number is the Yamaha amp as they all have the .1 for subwoofer pre output (rca connection)?

If the subwoofer amp has an RCA INPUT just use the normal rca cable but if the input on the sub amp is via 3.5mm headphone jack just buy a 3.5mm to rca connector, signal is mono.

The lowest model in the new range of Yamaha AV receivers I would have gone would be the RX-V663 as it has all the latest sound capabilities, although not having upscaling built in to the receiver most players have this capability anyway.

Check your amp also for minimum impedence as some satellite speaker can be as low as 2ohm's, It should still run them unless curcuitry is built in but may get hot.

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 11d

Mate, had to re-read your post 3 times and still a little unsure exactly what you are talking about.

The Sub you got in your older boxed system should have a RCA connection on the back as a min.

Your new amp should have a subwoofer rca signal socket on the rear as well, this is typically a black socket, if written on the rear of the amp Yamaha have a habit of shading the area (printing) with white diagonal lines.

If you look in the first 5 or so pages of the Manual it will have a number of hook up outlines, which should include the subwoofer.

As BJC has mentioned check the ohm rating on the rear/in the manual v's the speakers. My guess is that the speakers from your old system will be 4 or 6, which should be fine however still best to check.

Many of the Yamaha amps have a switch on the rear to accommodate low and high rated speakers.

As you have mentioned the amp is an entry level Yamaha, im going to guess its the 363, in this case the sub connection is located on the rear of the amp just below the speaker terminals...

Its by its self, with a white shading around the RCA connection, and is printed "OUTPUT" - SUBWOOFER.

Just plug an RCA connection into the socket, and run the cable to the sub...

Again not sure on the model of sub, but the base model yamaha at the moment is the 216, which has 2 RCA sub inputs on the rear. Plug the cable into the one what says 1 or mono.

Hope this helps!