Idle Problem/stalling Randomly

ViKiRs

• Member For: 15y 7m 17d

Hi All,

im wasting a whole lot of time and money on this problem, hopfully someone here knows whats happin to my xr6t idle. I need some suggestions!?!?!

(Forgive me if this is in the wrong section)

Car:- 06/2003 BA XR6T - STOCK - 110,000km

***Symptoms***

-Rough Idle, ie. coastin down hill the idle will be try to settle but doesnt. Jumps up and down never ending! (VIDEO.1)

-When coming to a stop ie. Set of lights. The idle will do the same as above but instead after a few jumps, it finally settles bout 900rpm. (VIDEO.2)

-When sitting at a ie. railway crossing the car will suddenly stall. No Warning. When I restart the car it does the same in video.2 before it settles.

Video.1

Video.2

Note:

- Sometimes when it stalls, the oil light (the can) flashes up and beeps.

- Always run 98octane

- Spark plugs have been replaced not long ago

- The problems I am having, has no relationship to the temperature of the day, or how hard I drive it. The only time it doesnt do it and is in the

morning when its warming up, I guess that's only cos of the choke.

- Full service history, all stock, well looked after.

***What I have tried to fix the problem with***

-TPS senor replaced

-Throttle body removed & cleaned, motor checked to make sure its running fine

-ECU checked for error codes. NONE found

-Any and all piping checked for vacum leaks, None found.

-Decarbon/flush of idler etc done

***Next to try***

-Ask ford to do a ECU update

-PCM update (is this different to ECU update?)

-Check spark plugs (noticed some ppl sayin gapin might be the issue, using 1mm I think at the moment)

Thankyou

• 2 weeks later...
  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member For: 16y 7m 9d

Stab in the dark mate, but it could be to do with the coil packs. Make sure that they're working properly, and are pushed onto the plugs firmly.

Possibly something to do with the fuel supply? Pump or filter? have you replaced the filter when servicing?

Other than that, I'm at a loss, but good luck with it, and pleas report back once it's sorted.

Dan

Edited by Superdan

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7m 11d

Over the passed month, my car has been doing the same up and down a couple of hundreds rpm at idle thing but mostly only after it gets a hiding and/or gets a fair bit of temp. From time to time the revs will drop a little low after coasting or revving in P or N and it will stall although this is rare.

This: "Sometimes when it stalls, the oil light (the can) flashes up and beeps." happens to me a lot, or used to happen to me a lot but for some reason over the last month or two it hasn't showed up much at all. Only 2 or 3 times.

• Member For: 15y 6m 24d

My AUII XR6 was doing the same thing, had the throttle body cleaned and it fixed the problem for a few days then it was back to the way it was before :/

They did an ECU update too and that didn't help.

I sold that car recently though, but I'm still curious to find out what it could have been :)

• Cant wait to drive it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 16d

Mate

Definately have a look at your coil packs if one or more of them is damged they may be "arcing" on the block or rocker cover this will definately cause the issues you describe I had to replace three, if you are unsure take them out and wrap them (neatly) in electrical tape to insulate them a bit better then pop them back in and see if there is a difference

Failing that if you have the coin just replace them all anyway

although you would think for would have checked this for you :3gears: it wouldnt surprise me if they havent bothered

also you could drop that plug gap down to around .7-.8

hope this helps

:crybaby:

• Member For: 16y 5m 3d

this probably isnt going to help your situation but my BA 6spd man used to idle weird as well, (no where as bad as yours though)

the idle would drop when I came to a stop at the lights etc, car would rattle as though going to stall but never did.

problem gone after changing valve springs.

Stab in the dark mate, but it could be to do with the coil packs. Make sure that they're working properly, and are pushed onto the plugs firmly.

Possibly something to do with the fuel supply? Pump or filter? have you replaced the filter when servicing?

-Coil packs have never been replaced as far as I know. Might be the next thing on my to do list.

-I recently gapped the 1.1mm NGKs spark plugs to 0.75 with using a gauge. (gently) No difference with the idle or power, ive noticed no change.

Spark plugs changed not long ago.

-The spark plugs looked all the same, no more carbon / colouring on one more than the other.

-The Fuel filter done not long ago either. And im guessing here but if there was a pump issue shouldnt I notice somthing when powering on or off.

The issue seems to rear its ungly head only at idle. Sometimes the car will idle perfectly but as soon as it stalls (random) the idle goes nuts.

Over the passed month, my car has been doing the same up and down a couple of hundreds rpm at idle thing but mostly only after it gets a hiding and/or gets a fair bit of temp. From time to time the revs will drop a little low after coasting or revving in P or N and it will stall although this is rare.

This: "Sometimes when it stalls, the oil light (the can) flashes up and beeps." happens to me a lot, or used to happen to me a lot but for some reason over the last month or two it hasn't showed up much at all. Only 2 or 3 times.

-Sorta the same here but the stalling seems to happen maybe once a day or so, then its the idle nightmare. ie Its like the Verada Mitsubishi I once had. As soon as you take the + terminal off the battery, the computer would reset and the base idle would be lost. Wont idle unless to taken it to a dealership and get them to set it.

The car goes in tomorrow at Ford.(Tuesday) I can only pray they find the answer to the problem. But each time I speak to them about it, I get palmed off with

'its probably just a vacum leak, the computer would be fine'. To me it sounds likes a computer problem, as ive replaced the TPS, ive had the throttle body checked and cleaned twice, ive resealed all the piping to the turbo and throttle body. Ive checked the wiring of the turbo timer and gauges I have (for interferance) Everything else is completly stock. And everything else looks tip top. I'll ask Ford about the coils but bet they're disagree

Is there another sensor I dont know about? I doubt it will be fixed tomorrow..... :huh:

• Member For: 16y 6m 19d

Mine had very similiar issues. As mine was outta warranty didn't bother with ford. Got mine custom tuned with a flash tuner and the problem has since gone. (Depends if ya wanna fork out the $$$$) It still dips occansially with aircon on, but hasn't stalled since.

Got a call today from Ford, and got told they cant fix my car because its been modded. WTF? Tried to tell the twit it was stock but instead got a firm

answer from him that I had someway (according to the mech notes) modified the PCM, the throttle body and exhaust. Fustrated I cut the conversation short and called back later to get ahold of the tech workin on my car.

From the tech we concluded the exhaust is stock, the piping and pcm. In short they tried to pass the blame onto a possible modifcation instead of truthfully sayin 'WE HAVE NO "F$ :blink: ING" IDEA WHATS WRONG WITH IT'.

At the conclusion I recommend the suggests from this forum. And was very clear about what I want done. VERY CLEAR! *end of conversation*

Hours later I get a call sayin my car is ready to be picked up. Yes its easier to say your car is ready to be pickup instead of saying 'your cars fixed'.

I get there, pay the bill and get a quick note what they did. In short they cleaned the throttlebody for the 3rd time, cleared the errors for the 2nd time and changed the air filter. How many times more are we going to do this to relise it wont work. They didnt do the specfics I asked. Bloody hopeless!

.......Drive away and the problem persist... :fool:

They also said if it doesnt work, the PCM will need to be replaced which will be expensive I am told. Can someone please point me in the right direction in locating a PCM? perhaps from a wreckers etc (cant find anything in SE QLD)

Edited by ViKiRs