Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perff, WA
Posted

Looking to get back into beach fishing, lived in Busso for a while so only ever fished along busso/dunsborough/myalup etc.

Does anyone have any hot spots or favourites on the WA coast?? just wanting to do some research and get a trip together.

Cheers

Dan

:blink:

  • Hey guys, Tab is here... Oh i feel sick
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: sunshine coast
Posted

id try one of the beaches, usually good for beach fishing :blink:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Caracciola Karussell
Posted

Dan, I go fishing occasionally and trips have taken me between Isralite Bay (Esperance) right up towards Broome and hundreds of places in between. Across to Cairns for Marlin fishing (makes modifying cars seem VERY cheap) on 50ft stunning game fishing boats with top shelf skippers and to offshore islands in WA as well!

Depends what you wanna catch and what gear you have I guess. Most of the local beaches have been hammered but between Cott and Hillarys you have some decent options. Swanbourne drain, Trigg and Cott reefs for big tailor, up towards Hillarys for herring / whiting etc. From local beaches I've caught smallish sharks, big tailor, flathead, salmon, silver bream, mulloway, pink snapper. Dozens of species over the last 10 years but you gotta work hard for it.

If you want to plan a trip away down south you pretty much have salmon (I make day trips to dunsborough 5 or 6 times during salmon season), samson fish and snapper etc off the rocks, sharks etc.

Up towards Kalbarri / Wagoe you have bigger fish off the rocks / beaches. Mackeral, tuna, mulloway, sharks, etc etc Ballooning and whatnot.

Further north you hit Steep Point / Shark Bay / Carnarvon and Quobba. Fishing from the cliffs and beaches for anything ranging from Tailor and bottom species to Mac's, cobia and sailfish.

Lots of 4wd destroying spots so many are out of reach without a 4wd or a bloody long walk (down south around Albany you have some of the best ledges but require an hour or more walk!)

I dont fish locally so much anymore unless we go to FAD's or Rotto for decent stuff but its hard to beat an evening on the beach after work with some baits out chasing tailor or a small mulloway or something.

Any questions, fire away :)

  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perff, WA
Posted

Thanks Mat, welcom back too!

down south would be more where I'd want to go, as it would be a 'fishing trip', and we've already sussed out most of the watering holes down there :omg:

been to Myalup occasionally for smaller fish, but really would like to get into beach/surf stuff again, can remembering it being a blast. looking for bigger fish I spose, salmon etc.

want to get a big beach rod, 10' or so, any recommendations on gear for that kind of situation? have had alook at some online shops here in perth and they seem really reasonable prices for big gear, but not sure on brands or exactly what's needed.

Cheers again

Dan

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Caracciola Karussell
Posted

Well I have 4 beach rods ranging from 11ft to 14ft purglass blank (about $400 alone) built up with the finest components money can buy. Only custom built rods for me but that's cause I used to get sponsored so that was handy. My reels start at about $300... Then you spool them up with braid which is pushing another $100! I thrash my fishing gear, but the reels and rods have stood the test of time. Throwing 20cm lures at 40kg++ Giant Trevally amd trolling for monster tuna at the Montebello's is a good place to start!

I guess around $300 will get you an ok combo that will last a season or two (mainly the reel) but if you spend a bit more you'll get years of use out of them.

I guess if you just want something easy, head down to any of the beaches between the Capes (plenty with 2wd and safe carparks) or around Albany. Wyadup is easy and lots of salmon schools around in season. They are a lot of fun on fairly light beach gear and you can still pick up the odd tailor etc.

Lots of recomendations on everything but your probably better off going to Got One in Woodvale (there are over 50 tackle shops in Perth and these guys are second to none) and just asking them. Avoid low mount rods on the beaches. MOST shops will disagree but then again they arent the ones competing in distance casting competitions etc. Alternatively, you know where I work...

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 7m 21d
Posted

Along the quabba coast is good, snapper to mackeral not too hard, or if you want a reel top day fishing, give me a yell if you get to Carnarvon and I'll take you out to the islands. Some of best fishing spots left in oz.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Caracciola Karussell
Posted

Forget down south Dan, take this man up on his offer!

Drive to Carnarvon is a bit boring but cruise control and packing me in your luggage would make it easier :D

  • Well-Hard Bangin' Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 1m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perff, WA
Posted (edited)

bloody nice of you to offer lowfly, muchly appreciated!

if I ever get around to getting my arse into gear and get back into it, then I'll take you up on that (and by the sounds of it, I may have a few large suitcases coming with me!!)

Cheers

Dan

PS: Alvey or spinner for beach rod?? :finger:

Edited by Superdan
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Caracciola Karussell
Posted

Alveys are bulletproof, I use a deep spool one when I fish 24kg off the rocks down south. Strong, easy to lock up the drag and they dont fail. Ballooned at Quobba / Steep with them before and its simply too hard work in this modern age. Big overheads FTW

Decent spinning reel for light to moderate beach work. If your chasing sharks etc then alvey good but for tailor / salmon / mulloway etc it'll be fine. I use the original Penn 8500ss and in 15 years it hasnt failed. Not as nice or light as newer reels but its strong. Cant go wrong with the better Daiwa / Shimano's these days.

Cruise to see Lowfly on the cards :P

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...