Strange Sputtering, Maybe Traction Control?

bambis

• Member For: 15y 6m 29d

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an 2004 BA XR6T, and love everything about it. I discovered these forums and have found it to be awesome so far. Anyhow, I figured this would belong in this forums so here goes.

The car drives real nice as long as my foot isnt holding the pedal down. I can go real close and all is fine, but as soon as I really put the pedal down all the way something worrying happens. As my revs reach about 4000 in either 1st or 2nd and the turbo is reaching its peak, I get a horrible stutter or shudder effect and slight back firing. im running the 4speed auto and as this happens the gears will not change, I have to shift up using the sequentials..

It feels like a rev limiter and/or the traction control. after some experimenting with the traction control off, the problem is slightly less depressing, but definately still there. It really feels like an old motor bike when u give it and it floods slightly. I need to take my foot off for it to change gears, and if I use the squential then I have to change gear early as to avoid the shutter.

I would really appreciate any input atm guys, money is an issue since I now have a loan to pay off, and my 1st thought is obviously to take it down for a tune, but some opinions here may go further. I have read of other people here with similar issues, and im hoping that maybe one of you can shed some light on a prblem that seems quite common.

the car, as far as I know, is completely stock except for a K&N. the turbo seems strangly loud also, so maybe the previous owner had an aftermarket blowoff valve installed?

anyway thanks in advance!

bambis

Edited by bambis

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 15d

:stupid:

heya, might be spark plugs? try taking them out and having a look at em :huh: some other guys will have a better idea I guess

and with K&N filter it should be pretty loud I put 1 in and made a big difference - but if you want to be on the safe side check the hoses around the crossover and the turbo for leaks and sh*t - I was pretty worried about mine a while ago until I asked and they said do that. Sounds good though don't it lol

Edited by xr6turboman

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 17y

plugs and coil packs would be a good place to start lookin ,last time I had one die the car would run to 160rwkw fine then start losing power.

try reseting the tps to, hold peddle flat to floor and crank car over ,it should not start but will reset your throttle position

• Member For: 18y 3m 14d

"horrible stutter or shudder effect and slight back firing

It feels like a rev limiter and/or the traction control. after some experimenting with the traction control off, the problem is slightly less depressing, but definately still there. It really feels like an old motor bike when u give it and it floods slightly. I need to take my foot off for it to change gears, and if I use the squential then I have to change gear early as to avoid the shutter"

I had the same problem as this just last week..I thought it was my custom tune that I had done. wen I took it bak to b chekd out, they found the fuel pump wasnt installed properly and that the fuel line was split. they changed this and the car runs awesome again.

thanks for the fast replys guys, im at work atm, but as soon as I get home ill check what u mentioned, so its obvious that it could be the coils, since they are the cause of half of everyones problems.

but has anyone ver had a clash with the traction control? or is that a seperate system and I shouldnt worry about it?

cheers.

bambis

• Member For: 15y 10m 27d
but has anyone ver had a clash with the traction control? or is that a seperate system and I shouldnt worry about it?

me and traction control arent the best of friends :P

when TCS comes on the orange light on the dash will flash and it will sound like its missing

when TCS comes on the orange light on the dash will flash and it will sound like its missing

yup, that's exactely like my car seems to be doing at max throttle.

so reseting the throttle is simply achieved by holding it down then trying to start the car? what could have possibly caused it to be incorrect? :buttrock:

what kind of noise can I expect from a stock BOV? from what I can tell it is stock, but the noise definately doesnt seem to be. I get a loud spool noise and a flutter after I release the throttle. do you guys get a similar sound from your BOV's?

bambis

• TEAM BA
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 21d

It sounds to me more like your fuel pump has shat itself and the engine is being starved for fuel... when mine collapsed it was doing exactly the same thing, you could drive around fine on 3/4 throttle and still reach 6000prm, but if you hit full throttle it would hit 4000rpm and start splattering and backfiring... take your foot off the pedal and it would run rough for a few seconds till the pump caught up.

best bet is to get it put on a dyno and have it checked out