antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 26/07/08 05:01 AM Posted 26/07/08 05:01 AM (edited) Hey everyone,Normally, when you make a mod to a car you get an immediate KW increase.With the XR6t's, it seems that the only decent kw gains are picked up after a tune....I've got a pod filter, in the airbox with the second F6 intake. I've also installed an updated intercooler last night. No tune.I took the car for a spin today, through some windys through the Sunshine Coast hinterlands, and the car definitely sounded like it was sucking harder through the airbox, and dumping more boost through the BOV than it did before the intercooler change. Felt more of a kick in the arse when giving it a bit too.What I want to know is, would I get a KW increase from the above mods without a tune? Or am I imagining it all? lol Edited 26/07/08 05:04 AM by antigravity
R-SPEC You are a dead set goose Legacy Donating Member 3,968 Member For: 20y 10m 6d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 26/07/08 05:17 AM Posted 26/07/08 05:17 AM Yes you would feel a difference, however a tune offers the best possible power output with whatever mods, if any, are on the car at the time. THEN you'll notice a difference!
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 29d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 26/07/08 05:19 AM Posted 26/07/08 05:19 AM I would say that you would notice a response improvement, but probably not so much in the actual power output of the car. The pod probably gives you the noise from the BOV, and the cooler you have fitted is probably much more efficient than the cruddy stock cooler
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 26/07/08 06:05 AM Author Posted 26/07/08 06:05 AM I actually noticed more noise from the BOV once the cooler was installed, which I wasn't expecting...
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 29d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 26/07/08 06:07 AM Posted 26/07/08 06:07 AM again this could be due to the efficiency of the cooler, better flow and more air getting to the throttle body. I'm not saying that you absolutely won't get more power without a tune, but as R-SPEC said, a tune will give you the maximum potential from your mods.Are you planning on more mods or is that it? If you are planning more, I'd wait until then to get a tune, as your car should be safe as it is
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 26/07/08 06:14 AM Author Posted 26/07/08 06:14 AM Probably going to throw on a high flow cat soon, and maybe some better injectors. But that's about it performance wise for the next few months.Would a standard 8psi or 10psi capa tune be safe with my current mods?
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 29d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 26/07/08 06:29 AM Posted 26/07/08 06:29 AM Generic tunes can be very dangerous, or completely safe. I would wait until you do the cat and injectors, as these will definately need a custom tune so your car will run properly. There are a couple of cases where a generic tune has cost someone an engine, not a bill you want if you can avoid it! Good luck with your mods and enjoy your car mate!
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 26/07/08 06:32 AM Author Posted 26/07/08 06:32 AM Thanks for the advice Senna... I've been really tempted to get a CAPA box off ebay and use a generic tune, but it might be worth going the extra dollars with a proper tune. As for now, I'll enjoy the couple of mods I've made, throw in some sway bars to go with the lowered springs and see how things go.Cheers mate
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 26/07/08 09:14 AM Posted 26/07/08 09:14 AM No! Do not get one of ebay with generic tunes. Go see a tuner and get the generics if you really want and then a custom later, but dont put your faith in ebay.Also the smaller mods we do have an effect on the car and on your mind. Often we think we are getting more out of them then we really do which is a kind of blind hope.I.B.
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 26/07/08 09:42 AM Author Posted 26/07/08 09:42 AM THanks for the warning mate... I've noticed that some of the CAPA boxes on Ebay are from tuners... These should be ok yeah?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now