antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 16d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 24/07/08 09:41 PM Posted 24/07/08 09:41 PM Hey everyoneI bought an intercooler off ebay but it didn't come with any instructions! I have a BA Mk1 so I'm hoping I don't need to drill any holes. But I'm not sure which brackets go where.It came with 4 brackets, 2 twisty ones, and 2 L shape ones.I'm guessing the twisty ones go on the bottom of the intercooler and bumper brace (the thing that has the plastic bump guard for the front bumper) and the L shape ones go on the top?I know its hard to explain.Also, with the twisty ones, do they go STRAIGHT across, horizontally from the I/C to the brace? or do the sit vertically? or bit of both? I have no idea.Any help would be appreciated.... Wanna get it installed so I can drive the bl00dy thing. Right now the bumper is off and I want to put it all togetheCheers.
Ryan Legacy Donating Member 235 Member For: 18y 8m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 24/07/08 09:50 PM Posted 24/07/08 09:50 PM A hpoto might help some of the more technically minded members on here mate, maybe dimension so we know what your trying to fit in also?with my cooler the l shaped brackets hung it from the rad support and the flat/twisty ones from the bottom underneath the radiator. hope that helps you a bit!
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 16d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 24/07/08 10:31 PM Author Posted 24/07/08 10:31 PM Whats the 'rad support'? And when you say bottom underneath the radiator, do you mean you bolted the intercooler to the radiator side? I thought the I/C bolted onto the bumper bar support thing.I'll take a photo tonight, im just at work at the moment... thinking about my poor car in pieces at home!The dimensions of the I/c are: 450x300x76. Its a 'bolt on' intercooler. Fits standard piping.
our06t Mmmmm......BOOST Member 3,135 Member For: 19y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: central coast Posted 24/07/08 10:43 PM Posted 24/07/08 10:43 PM it should bolt into the holes where you removed the brackets from the original cooler ,
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 16d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 25/07/08 12:18 AM Author Posted 25/07/08 12:18 AM Well I had to remove the horns just so I could get the cooler close enough to the metal... Even then, I can't get it close enough to bolt up.
Ryan Legacy Donating Member 235 Member For: 18y 8m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 25/07/08 12:48 AM Posted 25/07/08 12:48 AM whoops thought you were putting a bigger cooler on.Direct repalcement but slightly larger Im not sure on mate.Radiator support is the top plate of metal that runs accross the engine bay at the front, see in the pic where the two brackets are hanging from...
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 16d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 25/07/08 01:28 AM Author Posted 25/07/08 01:28 AM whoops thought you were putting a bigger cooler on.Direct repalcement but slightly larger Im not sure on mate.Radiator support is the top plate of metal that runs accross the engine bay at the front, see in the pic where the two brackets are hanging from...Ahh yeah, I can see... Yeah that wouldn't apply in my situation because its a bolt on cooler.Its got two threads on each side of it to attach brackets, which in turn attach to the front bumper support.I just can't get the b@stard close enough to it to bolt it on.Basically, the threads on the side of the intercooler (bottom ones), should they line up height wise with the bottom bolts on the bumper support?Very hard to explain in writing!
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 16d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 25/07/08 08:54 PM Author Posted 25/07/08 08:54 PM Well I got the bugger installed.... Just worried that I installed it a bit too low, but should be fine...Thanks for the help guys!
XRforced Member 14 Member For: 18y 3m 6d Gender: Male Location: Rockhampton Qld Posted 31/07/08 01:02 PM Posted 31/07/08 01:02 PM Does it sit like 50mm below your radiator? mine does I am heaps worried, it is like just touching the bottom of me front bumber/plastic gaurd underneath. I havent hit a gutter/speed bump yet but I dread the day I do, CARNAGE lol
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 16d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 02/08/08 02:02 AM Author Posted 02/08/08 02:02 AM Yeah it sits below the radiator, but its not touching the bottom of the front bumper.I've taken the plastic guard out, as its nothing but a pain in the arse, but yeah, mine is sitting similar to yours. I couldn't get it much higher without kinking the top intercooler hose, so its gonna have to do.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now