Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: BrisVegas
Posted

For those interested BrisVegas folk.

Ive just booked in for a half day session on the Mount Cotton skid pan. (Late August)

Been there before with my offspring ("Bahaimus" of the Autosport forums) in his REX.

It's a great day with very experienced instructors (5-6 of 'em)

If you reckon your a dab hand at the wheel I can gaurantee you that there is still much to learn.

I believe this session is just about full. It's around 90 small ones per 1/2 day session. (Full day sessions can be had also)

It's as safe as you make it 'cause speeds are kept down by the nature of a good mixture of water/diesel.

Let me know if interested and we'll go from there.

Mack...on the knife's edge.......

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 29d
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Sounds fun.

So you drive your own car?

Whats the setup with actual driving time and sharing the pad with others

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast QLD
Posted

I did a full day course at Mount Cotton back in '96 in a Late model camira Station Wagon and it was fantastic.

Thomas Mezzera was a guest instructor on the day. I didn't think much of him until that day but boy he sure taught me a thing or two. I would never have thought my car could carry so much speed through a corner. He really is a talented driver. Good enough for HRT as a co-pilot years ago.

The skid pan is something that should be mandatory for all new drivers. You learn a lot about limitations (yours and the cars). They covered the road in kerosene and water, that was the most fun I've ever had with my pants on. :D :D

You used our own car back then. Is it still the same?

I could be interested. Do you have any more details?

Regards

Big AL

  • Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: BrisVegas
Posted

You use your own car.

The instructors can either get in with you/demo your car/etc.

You do have to sign an indemnity but like I said, its very safe if you're not stupid. The instructors will give any you the boot if you put yourself or others in danger.

Because of the slick surface you get to learn all about your own car without the high speed but I assure you it's not easy and its loads of fun.

Maybe we can have a yak about it on Sunday's cruise.

Mack.......

  • I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :)
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: West Brisbane
Posted
You use your own car.

The instructors can either get in with you/demo your car/etc.

You do have to sign an indemnity but like I said, its very safe if you're not stupid. The instructors will give any you the boot if you put yourself or others in danger.

Because of the slick surface you get to learn all about your own car without the high speed but I assure you it's not easy and its loads of fun.

Maybe we can have a yak about it on Sunday's cruise.

Mack.......

Use our own car? what the hey, as if more can happen to it!!!

Panel damage! Looking at $400 trade, Probably 600 retail. Typical highway robbery!

I'd like to do it, I'll seriously think about for the both of us as I would really like to improve my/our driving ability, especially if I go ahead with my plan to supercharge the NA. Do it with a 'bolt on' Vortech or Powerdyne kit. Capable of producing 270kw, 9psi boost. (or I can go lower/cheaper, say 220-240, less boost).

Been looking into it seriously. Still trying to find what ever facts I can on hunting down the best deal. So far would cost me around $6,500 - $7,000. It's a cheaper alternative to the "Barra 240 T" for us. (Unless someone sells their 'T' for a ludicrous price in a year or so and we are locky/fast enough to jump on it).

Also welcome to advice if some of you experts want to throw in your 20c worth.

  • 00-XRG / 006-FPV
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 22d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posted

Mack,

What will it cost me? and can I still book in?

Guest Lochiel
  • Guests
Posted

The Mt Cotton guys are great. Our company is kind enough to pay for one day a year for all the company car drivers to get advanced driver training and we have invited customers along as well. We have had many customers tell us its better than any afternoon at the footy. A great day for all.

Normally our day is split between braking techniques (slow, fast and evasive) high speed (relatively) cornering around the circuit, a small track layed out with witches hats for time trials (good fun but hard on the tyres) and finally a few hours on the water/diesel drenched skid pad. Slow speed but the best fun of all. I have certainly learnt a great deal from my 2 days so far. I use to do some club racing in my earlier days and wish I had done a couple of days of this beforehand as they do have some very good instructors. One year we had a guy that had done a lot of international racing including driving a Porsche at Le Mans.

I can't recommend this more - its always a great day. Can't wait to take my XR next year even if its not a T. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...