MADF6 Member 399 Member For: 18y 8m 4d Posted 13/03/08 09:01 AM Author Posted 13/03/08 09:01 AM That way people like myself wouldn't be concerned and get in your face about it,....... isn't this a performance car not a $500 tow car, if you want to do that why didn't you buy a HSV they do that sort of thing all the time.... but hey they are w a n k e r s...It's nice to know you have so concern for my car. Now go away -> Back to the towbar. I decided to go with the factory ford one and had the dealership (Denmac) at Darra do it. I'm very happy with the job they did. I went with the factory tongue jobbie because I only need to tow a few times a year and I can take the tongue/tow ball off when I'm not using it. I think it looks very discrete. The flashing that's mounted around the towbar comes with the towbar kit but you can purchase it seperately.Wadaya think ¿Rear ShotClose up
R-SPEC You are a dead set goose Legacy Donating Member 3,968 Member For: 20y 9m 28d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 13/03/08 09:14 AM Posted 13/03/08 09:14 AM (edited) Looks factory. that's about as good as you're gonna get a F6 with a towbar to look!Oh and the RSpec looks absolutely mint in black! Edited 13/03/08 09:14 AM by R-SPEC
arm79 Legacy Donating Member 214 Member For: 17y 7m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 13/04/09 01:14 PM Posted 13/04/09 01:14 PM Looks factory. that's about as good as you're gonna get a F6 with a towbar to look!Nah, there is better... And I'd hate to say to all the previous posters, I managed to get there.This is how Ford should have done it for those of us that actually need to tow with these things.Sorry about dragging up an old thread, but it seems there is a solution for us if needed. I actually pulled up next to another Force 6 on the way to Geelong on Saturday and the guy wanted to know how I did it, as he had to chop his bar like everyone else. He wasn't happy.
Mist Member 54 Member For: 20y 2m 12d Posted 14/04/09 02:19 AM Posted 14/04/09 02:19 AM Looks great.So what's it called? Where did you get it? (although living in NZ I'm more interested in what it is called than where you got it!).
arm79 Legacy Donating Member 214 Member For: 17y 7m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 15/04/09 04:37 AM Posted 15/04/09 04:37 AM (edited) Its a standard Hayman Reese 1600kg towbar with a spacer inserted between the bar and tongue.This gets the tongue low enough to go "under" the bar, rather than through the middle of it.I measured and cut the hole myself with a stanley knife (these bars are thin as - I had to use a jigsaw to do the same on my EL) and the cutout just hangs there like a door, so when you take the tongue off you can close it back up and its barely noticable there is a towbar hidden behind there.Total cost was $320 including the Ford reverse sensor loom. Does not include the cost of replacement underwear for the first few cuts I made into the bar though. Edited 15/04/09 04:38 AM by arm79
Moose Member 185 Member For: 18y 5m 11d Gender: Male Location: Ipswich, QLD Posted 17/04/09 12:17 AM Posted 17/04/09 12:17 AM This is the exact same idea I had floating around in my head, and couldnt get over why it couldnt/had not been done this way. I will be looking into doing this.You should do us a write up on it!! Pics etc If not, when ever I do it I will take photos.
arm79 Legacy Donating Member 214 Member For: 17y 7m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 17/04/09 12:33 AM Posted 17/04/09 12:33 AM There was alot of measuring and checking involved to make sure I got the right bar. I did approach a half dozen towbar manufacturers in Melbourne to work out which is the best one, and the Hayman Reese one came up as the one.There still was a need to cut some of the mesh below the bumper line, but you cant see it at all.I should have taken pics, and I will soon. I have to take the rear bar back off to make some more mods and check what I've done. So pics can be taken then.Also want to get the spacers welded to the actual towbar itself to save having them float around my boot.But that is the only slightly illegal thing about this whole setup. In order to make this work, you need to put one extra spacer between the tongue and bar to drop it low enough. This means the trailer drawbar sits lower to the ground than normal. For me its not a problem as I don't tow heavy loads. But if you were towing heavy loads, it may be a problem. I'm looking for a new tongue that I can get to overcome these problems for me.
Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 22y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 21/04/09 06:47 AM Posted 21/04/09 06:47 AM arm79 you sir are a legend. I really need to get a tow bar set up for a bike rack but cannot stand the look of them.......your set up looks ideal. Any more photos and info you can share will be appreciated!
arm79 Legacy Donating Member 214 Member For: 17y 7m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 21/04/09 07:05 AM Posted 21/04/09 07:05 AM I'll get there...Haven't take the bar back off yet because I've been slack, and more concentrating on getting my audio right for the time being, which is another *beep* of a story in itself... My mates all gave it to me for even considering cutting a hole in the bar and putting a towbar on. But, because of the way its done, they haven't even noticed it's there, which is proof in itself of how good the idea is. Also the reason no one but me touches my car, no one else will put the thought or care into it apart from the loving owner.Shame your in Sydney though, would have been easy to show you in person how to do it. But until then, pics and a story will have to do.
Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 22y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 21/04/09 07:10 AM Posted 21/04/09 07:10 AM thanks mate.....would it be possible to add more spacers to lower the bar further so as to not require any bar cutting? seeing as though its only for a bike rack and wont be towing anyything.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now