blinkboy Member 40 Member For: 18y 8m 18d Posted 23/02/08 07:03 AM Author Posted 23/02/08 07:03 AM hmmm, ive read a bit about Straight cut gears for the t5 costing around the 5k mark? any one on these forums done something like that?
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 17d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 23/02/08 07:05 AM Posted 23/02/08 07:05 AM hmmm, ive read a bit about Straight cut gears for the t5 costing around the 5k mark? any one on these forums done something like that?I wouldnt bother. If you make the gears stronger you will strip the splines on the mainshaft. You can pick up a 2nd hand t56 for 5k.
blinkboy Member 40 Member For: 18y 8m 18d Posted 23/02/08 07:12 AM Author Posted 23/02/08 07:12 AM and how much would it be for it to get installed....
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 17d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 23/02/08 07:22 AM Posted 23/02/08 07:22 AM Depends where u go. If you're handy with a spanner and sockect set or have mates that are you could get it done in a day in your driveway for a couple of cartons of beer. If you took it to a shop and they charged you anymore than 6 to 8 hours labour you'd be getting ripped off.Luke
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 18d Gender: Male Posted 23/02/08 10:03 AM Posted 23/02/08 10:03 AM (edited) damn straight my bro had straight cut gears in his wrx and what you arent told is that they are a consumable. They dont last very long and are a pig to drive. I know xr6ism has them in his car but he doesn't post here any more.fwiw I did a t56 trans swap with change from 4.5k (inc the cost of beers for the guys!).. there is one on the forums for sale for 3.5k atm I think.transfer and stamp duty on a new car would have been around that price (I did the sums too before committing to the trans swap)no idea about the cost of the forks but labour will be the killer, box out and open on the table, and back in is going to be ~1k at a guess, without any parts. Edited 23/02/08 10:05 AM by XR06T
blinkboy Member 40 Member For: 18y 8m 18d Posted 23/02/08 11:33 AM Author Posted 23/02/08 11:33 AM so would be good to have a friend that is mechanicly minded??
Guest Wingnut Guests Posted 23/02/08 10:48 PM Posted 23/02/08 10:48 PM Ok here I go again.... I also did some research on straight cut gears and like you said they will cost around 5k. There is only one guy I could find willing to do it but he could not sell me a set as he was not happy with the componants he was sourcing as they were breaking with far less power than I have. Forgot his name but he had rebuilt a gearbox for someone on the forum and it had blown up after around 20k I think.You can get a T56 far cheaper than I did but time and circumstances did not permit me using my contacts to do cashy. Plus my gearbox is a Mal Woods and you can find a factory T56 for cheaper if u do some shopping around.Mate take my advice I have been in the same position as you not 2 months ago and spent many many hours finding a way to save my T5 but like I said there is a very good reason Ford replaced it.Good luck.
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 18d Gender: Male Posted 23/02/08 11:49 PM Posted 23/02/08 11:49 PM yea, if you have a few friends who are mechanically minded that would help. need good tools to because the bellhousing bolts are hard to get to!
XR6 TURBO UTE Member 10 Member For: 18y 7m 26d Posted 24/02/08 01:01 AM Posted 24/02/08 01:01 AM yea, if you have a few friends who are mechanically minded that would help. need good tools to because the bellhousing bolts are hard to get to!what are the steps involved to change the T5 to the T56?I've also got the T5 and will soon need to upgrade..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now