Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Slippery when dry
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 2m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Foot Hills W.A
Posted

Just a Quick question hopefully someone can shed some light on,

I have an BF july 06' build with ZF 24k on clock.

I notice sometimes when I pull into my car bay at work(45 DEG angle park) I can feel something in the diff or rear end move.is it the LSD just "working" or something more sinister???

Only seems to happen if I am pulling in very slowly,reminds me a bit of my 9 inch I used to have in another car when I used to pull into a servo and you could feel the tyres turning on the smooth concrete...

hope my Q makes sense

Cheers Andrew

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Ford have a technical service bulletin to cover this. The local Ford spare parts guy reckons that the diff supplier (Dana) built the diffs on the tight side with their lsd function. Ford recommend a change of diff under warranty and/or adding 100ml of lubrizol (friction modifier) at $100 a pop! He said that they have changed a few!

I have spoken to the tech guy at Nulon and he said that the Late model camira and falcon rear end internals are the same and to add their diff treatment to the existing oil. The xr6 diff is the same as the XR8 diff- clutch packs not cones. I've had it in mine for a while now and the noise has disappeared with no other issues.

By the way, the Nulon guy reckons that they buy their Lubrizol for $18 litre.

Makes me laugh a bit because for years the major manufacturers have been saying not to add anything to oils used in their cars, and here they are now adding them to help fix a "problem". Good one.

  • Dropping a turd
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 11m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted
Just a Quick question hopefully someone can shed some light on,

I have an BF july 06' build with ZF 24k on clock.

I notice sometimes when I pull into my car bay at work(45 DEG angle park) I can feel something in the diff or rear end move.is it the LSD just "working" or something more sinister???

Only seems to happen if I am pulling in very slowly,reminds me a bit of my 9 inch I used to have in another car when I used to pull into a servo and you could feel the tyres turning on the smooth concrete...

hope my Q makes sense

Cheers Andrew

If your diff oil hasnt been changed from new change it now. Use castrol SAF-XA it is fully synthetic and has the additive in it already. You will need 2L. This will fix it. I change my gearbox and diff oil every 10000. Arron..

  • Slippery when dry
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 2m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Foot Hills W.A
Posted

Cheers guys for the input,

Arron I will change the diff oil on next service,sounds like that this is not really a mechanical prob to worry about too much just a small thing easily sorted...

Cheers Andrew..

P.S I dont like the idea of leaving the oil in my ZF until Scheduled service ( which is at 45k???)or until warranty runs out...my Brother inlaws mechanical biz are authorized Ford Servicers so I might get him to do oil at 30k service as I do engine every 5k..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...