Xbox 360 Advice From Experts Required

Max Power

• Member For: 19y 11m 25d

Hey guys.

My sons have gathered some money between them from recent birthdays and want to upgrade their game console from the PS2.

I'm obviously no expert but talked them out of getting the PS2 slim as Im sure that there is no change other than the size (I hope!).

I suggested the Wii but they've been told from mates that the graphics aren't as good as the XBOX 360 or PS3.

I noticed the XBOX 360 core console pack on special for $349 and put it to them. We worked out quickly that the core console pack means that it doesnt come with a hard disk or cordless controller. A quick ebay search found that 20GB HDD's and wireless controllers at about $50 each new + a few bucks for postage.

Obviously we need to get new games to suit but we realise this.

So is going down this path a good deal or should I do it differently or something else?

Edited by Max Power

I'm no expert, but if you go to one of them gamimg joints like 'gamesworld' or the likes, they do trade - in's on your old console when you upgrade. This would mean you could get a XBOX 360 with the HDD and wireless controller already included and not have to shell out much more then if you did it how you suggested. They also stock secondhand games so you could pick up some cheap ones while you're at it to build up the collection :banghead:

• Member For: 17y 6m 29d

buy a nintendo wii.

im on my 4th xbox 360 console, my younger brother is on his 2nd, they have a major overheating problem, every time I have sent it back I loose my game saves, I know I can back them up but I shouldnt have to, its a royal pain in the arse packing it up and returning it every time.

Nintendo is cheaper, it has cheaper accessories, and I think it will be fun for the whole family. Theres stuff all games out for the 360 even now, every time I go to Electronics boutique they have the same range of games time after time. Microsoft didnt realease hardley any xbox live arcade games until the PS3 came out.

They also charge money for you to play it online, which the others dont I believe.

Ive been incredibly dissapointed with the software support for the 360 from microsoft.

The PS3 I would say is a better option too, but its a sh*tload of money for what your getting.

Microsoft is a sh*t company, there always 12 months behind everybody else, they have no original ideas of there own. Every time your computers slow, blame them, IT was never meant to be this difficult.

(and im a MS certified professional by the way - if anybody wants to get technical) Microsoft BLOWS!!!

I might also add that the operating system on the xbox 360 is slow, when your in the middle of a game and bring up the menu, sometimes it takes a while to appear, they freeze a little too often sometimes. when your sending messages and receiving them, sometimes theres a bit of a wait changing between menus / windows, this can be quite annoying when your in the middle of a game.

If microsoft had taken some actual notice of what people did to their ORIGINAL xbox consoles with the mod chips, they could have made a much better console.

Dont even get me started on windows (any version - including vista)

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 8d

I have just been given a Nintendo Wii from my younger brother (his 13) as he prefered to go back to his Xbox & PS2.

Positives of Wii's:

-If your kids are active & you want to get involved in your kids game play then I would definetly get a Wii, it takes a little while getting used to but once you do its a truck load of fun.

-If you have mates that like to come over for a couple of beers & act like idoits, jumping around the lounge & having laughs then worth getting a Wii.

-If your concerned that your children are spending too much time on the consol you can track the time played.

-Games are cheap.

Negatives:

-Graphics so far on the games I have (4) are basic.

-You need a large TV, swinging the controllers around on a tinny tv just doesnt work.

-The games list are limited (most developers are taking the next step in graphics, which the Wii just doesnt have).

-You cant play normal Dvd's on Wii.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards

TUFXRT6 :banghead:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 21d
Hey guys.

My sons have gathered some money between them from recent birthdays and want to upgrade their game console from the PS2.

I'm obviously no expert but talked them out of getting the PS2 slim as Im sure that there is no change other than the size (I hope!).

I suggested the Wii but they've been told from mates that the graphics aren't as good as the XBOX 360 or PS3.

I noticed the XBOX 360 core console pack on special for $349 and put it to them. We worked out quickly that the core console pack means that it doesnt come with a hard disk or cordless controller. A quick ebay search found that 20GB HDD's and wireless controllers at about $50 each new + a few bucks for postage.

Obviously we need to get new games to suit but we realise this.

So is going down this path a good deal or should I do it differently or something else?

The Xbox 360 is by far the best next gen console available IMO. I currently own an Xbox 360 Elite, PS3 and Wii (yes I like my games!) and the 360 is my hands down favorite. As mentioned, you could trade your old PS2 (EB Games). My advise would be to buy the Premium pack ($529 I think?) as it include the 20GB Hard drive (needed to save games, profiles, download content, etc) wireless controller and HD connections for your TV. The new Premium consoles also come standard with a HDMI connection (check the box). There is a huge selection of games available for the 360, and many can be picked up at bargain prices. IMO the Wii is just a toy, and the novelty wears off fairly quickly. If your son is after a 'gamers' console, the 360 is the pick of the bunch.

• Im the one and only
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 21d

I have the Xbox 360 and love it.The Wii is fun but very basic graphics.I have my 360 for a year and havent had any dramas with it at all.There a heaps of games to choose from and to play on line cost bugger all for a years subscribtion.Wesley T must of had a run of lemon consoles just like are fords.LOL

You wont be dissapointed with the purchase.

Darren

I have the Xbox 360 and love it.The Wii is fun but very basic graphics.I have my 360 for a year and havent had any dramas with it at all.There a heaps of games to choose from and to play on line cost bugger all for a years subscribtion.Wesley T must of had a run of lemon consoles just like are fords.LOL

Darren

I love the few games I play on the 360 too. I bought it the night it came out, then waited months and months for games to come out and xbox live arcade games... and there still slow to release them.

have a read of this

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives...5bn_charge.html

My mrs works at harvey norman, and they are getting 360 consoles back in droves, they have fixed the problem, but there are loads and loads of old batches still on the shelves with the problem.

its the 3 red lights of death.

my first one went nearly 10 months before I had a problem, then I had 1 straight out of the box, one a month later, and the one I have now is freezing a bit. My younger brother has had 2 consoles. its the thermal compound they have used in the factory on the heatsink of the CPU.

anyways its the worst selling of all 3 consoles, the wii is the number 1, then ps3, then xbox 360.

besides which I just hate anything microsoft, this laptop im typing on will be the last MS related computer I will ever own.

Darren

:fool:

I've had mine nearly a year and had no dramas. Hopefully I wont in the future either!

• Member For: 19y 11m 25d

Thanks guys for your comments. My son wanted to hang on to the PS2 as he has a large collection of games so we went and picked up a core console for $349 today. Guess the 1st priority now is to get a 20GB HDD. There's a couple on ebay that Im gonna follow.

Thanks again.