gilto Member 218 Member For: 19y 3m 7d Gender: Male Posted 23/09/07 10:16 AM Posted 23/09/07 10:16 AM Hi guys,I gave the T a full service over the weekend and fitted a high-flow cat. I already have CAI + filter, typhoon cooler. Standard tune the car is fine...doesn't seem to have and probs at all...8psi tune seems fine too...a few times the traction control light flashed as I was giving it some and for about a minute later the idle was quite jerky....only happened twice though.10psi loaded tonight...pulled hard to about 3200rpm then the traction control light flashed several times and it sounded like air was coming out the rear of the exhaust. The idle went jerky straight away again for about a minute...after that I tried again and same thing so I called it a night and parked the car.Going for a tune on Tuesday so that should sort it out....any ideas what it would be?????Although the traction light was coming on I am pretty sure the wheels were not spinning...
GreenXR6T Legacy Donating Member 630 Member For: 21y 1m 4d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 23/09/07 10:27 AM Posted 23/09/07 10:27 AM You've got the right idea by getting a custom tune.I wouldn't load the 10lb tune again, you can do some serious damage if it's not 100%.Take it easy until it's tuned properly.
gilto Member 218 Member For: 19y 3m 7d Gender: Male Posted 23/09/07 10:31 AM Author Posted 23/09/07 10:31 AM You've got the right idea by getting a custom tune.I wouldn't load the 10lb tune again, you can do some serious damage if it's not 100%.Take it easy until it's tuned properly.Thanks greenxr6t and going to go load the factory tune right now and take it for a run, I'll let you know how it goes.....
hanra Into the laaaake Member 1,532 Member For: 19y 3m 22d Gender: Male Location: Nrth Qld Posted 23/09/07 10:53 AM Posted 23/09/07 10:53 AM I wonder what the boost spiked to..... And what the A/F ratios were doing.... Especially considering you have a hi flow cat..... Playing with fire with generic tunes on a modded engine.
gilto Member 218 Member For: 19y 3m 7d Gender: Male Posted 23/09/07 11:03 AM Author Posted 23/09/07 11:03 AM I wonder what the boost spiked to..... And what the A/F ratios were doing.... Especially considering you have a hi flow cat..... Playing with fire with generic tunes on a modded engine.You are so right Hanra.....Anyways I loaded the standard tune back in and she went like a dream...I'll just have to wait until Tuesday for some proper tunes...I think it was the cat was the main cause...
YPURV4 KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE, Member 2,813 Member For: 20y 5m 3d Gender: Male Posted 23/09/07 11:10 AM Posted 23/09/07 11:10 AM Its just sounds like the traction control doing its job if it feels the wheels are going to spin it will de torque the motor, that's why your getting that jerky feeling.Load the 10 psi tune in, turn the traction off and take her for a spin I bet it will be fine.
IH8TOADS Legacy Donating Member 3,618 Member For: 21y 2m 29d Gender: Male Location: OZ Posted 23/09/07 11:16 AM Posted 23/09/07 11:16 AM The jerky idle, sounds like the plugs were getting hot and the gap closing up. When ya give it heaps try not to let it idle straight after... just cruise for a few minutes then it should be sweet
groper Member 611 Member For: 19y 8m 6d Posted 23/09/07 11:54 AM Posted 23/09/07 11:54 AM (edited) the jerky idle after boosting sounds like valve springs... what model car is yours?traction control light flashing is doing its job stopping wheel spin... somtimes can be jerky and feels like somthing grabbing the back of the car and yanking backwards slowing you down briefly under accel...if your running high flow cat with a 10psi generic tune, I can almost gaurantee your geting alot more boost than 10psi. this can cause the spark to blow out if you havnt regapped your plugs yet... this feels like a very jerky intermittent engine miss under boost acceleration.risky runnnig generic tune on modded engine as said before, dont do it...edit:- and buy some bigger injectors before you get you custom tune or your wasting time and money! Edited 23/09/07 12:02 PM by groper
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 16d Posted 23/09/07 12:39 PM Posted 23/09/07 12:39 PM Run your stock tune only and turn the TRACTION CONTROL OFF when giving your car some throttle if you value your oil pump gears/motor.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 24/09/07 12:31 AM Posted 24/09/07 12:31 AM As the guys have said, be very carefull now as its most likely boosting over 10psi due to the free flowing cat... might be peaking at 13or so which isnt good with the stock injectors.Trac control sounds like its doing its job, but turn it off if your going to get into the boost... its only worth having for wet days when the wife is driving.What I would do right now, is pull out the plugs, gap them as per the specs on the Cappa sheet that came with the tune box. Now head to a dyno, any dyno, and check the boost peak and AFRs.If it needs a retune/touch up head back to the shop that custom tuned it and ask for a touch up tune. If they are decent about it, they wont charge you much.Until you do this, flash it to stock tune and keep off the boost.And if you havnt already done so, BUY A BOOST GUAGE... Im always amazed at guys running lots of mods/power and not haveing a boost guage to keep an eye on boost peaks/spikes.Happy cruising
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now