XR6Turbine Member 9 Member For: 19y 30d Posted 13/09/07 01:48 AM Posted 13/09/07 01:48 AM Had mine done yesterday. Went with the Ford part as I have also been told the Fulcrum one is too rigid and can (not will) effect driveline. My last Ford one did 90,000klms so if I get that again, I'll be happy. Oh and total price was $630 inc parts and rear and front wheel alignments for good measure.
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 5d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 02/10/07 08:07 AM Author Posted 02/10/07 08:07 AM ok, Car is booked in for friday, after receiving the Super Pro polyurethane bush from fulcrum today.I got a few quotes for Labour - parts supplied.Strapp Ford, couldnt give me an exact price, but said around $550 - 600Lantern Motors (Ex ford mechanic, has done hundreds of BA - BF diff bushes, quoted $350.Guess which one I went for.I purchased a new diff bolt, my concern now is the new harder polyurethane bush will put more strain on the already fragile diff backing plate.I have phoned Mal Wood for his advice, whether it should be done whilst the rear end is apart, awaiting a call back from him.I will try to remember to take photos of both the Fulcrum and standard Ford bush side by side
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 7m 27d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 02/10/07 09:05 AM Posted 02/10/07 09:05 AM I have a MK2 and have killed 2 bushes... doesnt sound revised to memines a mark 2 as well... and the bush is shot.... that's the next job to fix
6speedXR8 Mal Wood Automotive Member 537 Member For: 23y 6m 10d Location: WARWICK QLD Posted 02/10/07 10:52 AM Posted 02/10/07 10:52 AM If you use the MWA strengthened diff cover and a New bush and a longer bolt you will have no more issues. Mal
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 5d Gender: Male Posted 03/10/07 10:20 AM Posted 03/10/07 10:20 AM ignore my previous posts, as after another 30oddk my 'revised' bush is not holding up so well. clunk on both disengage and engage of the clutch in gear with the hand brake on.not happy jan.
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 5d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 03/10/07 11:49 AM Author Posted 03/10/07 11:49 AM Thanks to Mal Wood for his excellent advice, spending a good 15-20 minutes with me on the phone, I have decided yo install one of his beefed up Diff backing plates along with the fulcrum bush on Friday.one area of the drivetrain to never worry about again.As Mal put it, its good security to do it whilst its all out, as the Polyurethane bush is stiffer, that load has to be transferred somewhere....Next weakest link in the chain is the cover plate.to have it all pulled out again to install the plate down the track would be $400-$500 in labour. The whole point for me going the fulcrum bush is so that the IRS cradle doesnt have to be pulled out again (hopefully).will let you all know the result, im hoping for less clunks and rattles from the rear end.
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 5d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 04/10/07 07:43 AM Author Posted 04/10/07 07:43 AM Thanks to Mal for the prompt delivery of the strengthened Diff backing plate, arrived this morning.Goes in tomorrow, will let you all know how it works out.
XR_Brute Member 120 Member For: 19y 5m 27d Gender: Male Location: melbourne Posted 04/10/07 08:30 AM Posted 04/10/07 08:30 AM If you use the MWA strengthened diff cover and a New bush and a longer bolt you will have no more issues. MalHas much testing been done with this part installed?? they arent gonna start breaking welds in the subframe or anything to that effect??
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 5d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 05/10/07 12:20 PM Author Posted 05/10/07 12:20 PM (edited) I cant see how, the fulcrum bush still has some give, and the strengthened diff cover is simply to prevent it cracking the cover plate where the rear diff bush bolt attaches.Mal said there is a number of production cars racing up at bathurst this weekend, you cant get much more brutal testing than that...lol.he said he hasnt had one breakage yet.it went in today, all good so far, car feels good, nice and solid and has rectified most of the clunking...Just a single small clunk if you give it a bootful then lift off, as the auto changes up a gear off throttle. The diff feels more connected if that makes sense, like less slop in the rear end - more solid.so far very happy, one less thing to worry about. Edited 07/10/07 01:40 PM by Dagabond
6speedXR8 Mal Wood Automotive Member 537 Member For: 23y 6m 10d Location: WARWICK QLD Posted 07/10/07 09:39 AM Posted 07/10/07 09:39 AM You are correct, the bush still does its job and with the strengthened diff cover you should not have the problem of a broken cover.I know this has nothing to do with the diff cover but the other day when I was talking to one of our distributors about diff clunk he had a VERY interesting thing to say. He always had an idea, and so did I, that the diff clunks may be coming mainly from the Limited Slip!!! and he told me that since he has fitted our Torque Tuff LS unit the diff clunk is gone.I am not saying that the unit is a magical cure all but I will know more once more feed back comes in and after I finish the abusive testing in my XR6T ute and the XR8. Mal
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now