Jump to content

Wierd Cutout Problem On Xr6t


Recommended Posts

Guest 04XR6T
  • Guests
Posted

Has anyone else experienced a problem, very intermittent, that appears to cutout a couple of cylinders and restrict the revs to about 3000rpm?

We have a 2004 XR6 Turbo.

Then after a few minutes, it goes back to normal.

This has only happened a couple of times and is not reproducable.

My wife has had it about 5 times, but I've only seen it once.

Cheers

Robert

  • Gold Platinum Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 9d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted

Sorry to ask the obvious but its not traction control is it?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 1d
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

a trip to FOMOCO for a PCM reflash may be in order

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

It could be one of several things, but I would suspect it is either Traction Control or limp mode.

You will be able to tell if it is TC as the orange TC (right side looks like a orange wheel with smoke coming out of the tyres) will flash and cause the motor to run rough for a short time.

Limp mode is cause by the engine detecting a problem and cutting the motor back to prevent any damage. Usually it will not return to normal until you stop and start the car.

I think it is Traction Control, just find wet grass or a nice private road when wet and try to break traction, if you see the orange light flashing that is the TC trying to stop wheelspin. If this feels the same as the problem you have mentioned, then you have found the cause.

Guest 04XR6T
  • Guests
Posted

:stirthepot:

Traction Control!!!!!!

:tease:

I'm not driving like yer mum.

Traction Control light is always on when I'm driving as I turn the damn thing off all the time. Except when in a downpour.

:blink:

TC just seems to cut power.

It sounds more like the limp mode as discussed.

The problem as I experienced it was driving in a straight line and the car would not accelerate above 3000rpm and felt like it was running on 4 cyl.

Really rough.

Robert

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 7m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

had this problem with my 2004 model too, it usually happened when I gave her some good hard acceleration.

reflashed PCM and its all good now.

Guest 04XR6T
  • Guests
Posted

Is the Reflash something they automatically do at a service, or do you need to ask for it?

Is it covered under warranty?

I drive the T harder than my wife, and I've only had it happen once.

She says it's happened about 5-6 times now.

Cheers

Robert

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisvegas
Posted

They do the reflash automatically, but to my knowledge there's only been one map "correction " been made by Ford, and they've had that out for a while, so there's every chance it's been done. Besides, I seem to remember that overboost thing happening around 4000-4500rpm on mine, not 3000.

Did you buy the car new or second hand?

Another possibility might be fuel. If for example you were running it on std ULP and got a dodgy batch occasionally, it could cause this; escpecially if it's when you're on boost.

Of course you can get bad tankfull of any type of fuel... I filled up work's turbo diesel Patrol yesterday, at a brand new servo with new in-ground tanks, and it was dodgy as. Had to drive it like yomamma or it'd surge & carry on like nobody's business.

...even made the engine light come on twice.

Anyway it's just a suggestion. It's highly unlikely you'd get a bad tank of fuel that often.

  • 9 years later...
  • New Member
  • Member For: 14y 13d
Posted

I've had this issue since I purchased the car. I've had it serviced every 6 months and ford workshop have looked at it. They replaced the coils-problem still there. Then they said it might be my wastegate but honestly I don't really wanna keep spending hundreds or thousands of dollars in them guessing. Also it hasn't been throwing any fault codes. Has a slight miss at idle and I can hear the exhaust popping when decelerating going down a hill, not sure if this is related or not. Plugs were replaced not long ago by ford and gaps were checked.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...