19" Rims

DCVIN

• Member For: 19y 10d

Thanks for all the advise guys... I am spewing! the rims I really want only come in 17 and 19 but I think I will go with 18's to be safe and due to the fact I have the standard brakes.. which I want to upgrade but gotta pay dam stamp duty on the 29th of June!!! there goes the plans for the xorst system!!

Just out of interest whats a good price for a full SS xorst and what should I get done? been quoted between 1800 and 2700 not sure what the difference would be! Is it best to go custom or bolt on the way to go?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 1m 3d
Just wondering if there are any issues with having 19's is it best to stick with 17 or get 18's or go all out for 19's?

Also what is the best tyre to use I got confused today with tyres!

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just got my 19" AMG on Monday Hancook tyres drives great, maybe a little stiffer to drive but drives good have a look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope bigger brakes are next on the shopping list, there's a lot of room behind those rims :stirthepot:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already booked in for the brakes cheeeeers. :laughing:

• Benzene
  • Member For: 19y 10m 24d
Thanks for all the advise guys... I am spewing! the rims I really want only come in 17 and 19 but I think I will go with 18's to be safe and due to the fact I have the standard brakes.. which I want to upgrade but gotta pay dam stamp duty on the 29th of June!!! there goes the plans for the xorst system!!

Just out of interest whats a good price for a full SS xorst and what should I get done? been quoted between 1800 and 2700 not sure what the difference would be! Is it best to go custom or bolt on the way to go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who gave you those stupid prices?? Did they include the cat??

• Benzene
  • Member For: 19y 10m 24d
I was confused what to get as well when I bought wheels 18's or 19's, I went the 18's only because of tyres a bit cheaper and maybe a bit more resistance to potholes and bumps etc. Id say if your on good roads most of the time and dont mind paying a little bit more for tyres definitely get the 19's,  they look better :spoton:

Shane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you wouldnt happen to have any pics of your 18's...I wanna go 18's too but dont know whether they fill the gap as good

• Wanabe mechanical engineer
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 7m 10d

For the BA falcon, 19's are the way to go... You'll kick yourself in a years time when you look back and go "damn, 18's just don't seem to cut it anymore"...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 24d

Apart from the potholes and brakes issues, it's really a question of how deep your pockets are and what sort of tyres you wanna put on the car. I would have loved 19", but wasn't willing/able to afford to pay the price for decent tyres in that size. For around $350 I can get 18" Dunlops or 19" Nankangs - I couldn't afford 19" Dunlops so decided to stick with 18" rims. :kissmy:

Yeah, yeah, I know a lot of guys here are running Nankangs and are perfectly happy with them - I have no issue with that, it's just a personal preference thing. ;)

Swanga, as for filling the gap, theoretically an 18" and 19" rim/tyre package should be exactly the same! You'd go 40 series tyres for 18" and 35 for 19" (stock 17" runs a 45 series), precisely so that the rolling diameter is kept constant (overall height is the same). If you really wanna fill the gap, the best way to do this is to have your car lowered too. :spoton:

• Member For: 20y 11m 21d

Don't get me started on 19" rims! They look great, but can have problems in rim buckles & cracks. I have ROH 19" fury rims, & have cracks on the inside lip of three rims & a buckle on the fourth. The rims are 18 months old, & ROH now says they will not replace the rims as they have done a load test & found the rims to be OK, then why are they cracked? Just something to look out for, & I will elaborate on this issue in another thread soon.

Aaron

• Donating Members

On the rear though, if you do have deep enough pockets to do so, go for 275/30's...

You will need allot of cash to get tyres of that size (so don't do to many burnouts!!!) but the extra grip is awesome.... Plus if you get a good tyre, they handle allot better in the wet.

Also, just so you guys have piece of mind about the diameter difference, check it out...

245/40/18 = 25.7165in

245/35/19 = 25.7520in

As you can see, 2 hundreths of stuff all difference! If you could ring out 6th gear in the T, it would give you only an extra 0.45kmph (at 304km/h)...

BUT!

275/30/19 = 25.49606299

Actually has a smaller rolling diameter! Brilliant!

I'm bored....

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 24d

Wow, that's interesting - without doing the calculation I would never have guessed that a 275/30/19 would even be in the ballpark diameter wise!

But Lawsy, one thing I found strange is why Ford opted for the 245/40/18 in the first place (if people optioned up to 18" rims). Assume that 235/45/17 is what we're working on as a base/comparator (this is, after all, what all XRs come out with from the factory unless you option up), I think you'll find that the diameter of a 235/40/19 is actually closer to 'stock' than the 245/40/19. Did Ford just feel that if people were buying bigger rims that they'd feel a need to have wider tyres to show for their money? :stirthepot:

• Donating Members

235/45/17 = 25.3268

I think they chose to have the 245s in the 18's because all previous XR8's , GT's and T series cars had 245 tyres... For some reason there was a big enough difference (grip wise) to warrant having these tyres for those cars. that's what I'm assuming though, don't take it as gospel....