hafadude Legacy Donating Member 245 Member For: 21y 4m 25d Gender: Male Location: Cairns Qld Posted 26/05/05 01:53 PM Posted 26/05/05 01:53 PM My local Ford dealer in NT uses light viscosity 10W/30 in its oil changes. The factory recommends 15W/40. I asked if this was suitable for such a hot climate and the opportunity to do sustained high speeds (we have no speed limits when out of town in NT, so long as not dangerous, of course!) They reckon they would never use the wrong grade. Has anyone else heard of this "theory" before?
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 1m Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 26/05/05 02:50 PM Posted 26/05/05 02:50 PM id also liek to know why ford service book reccomends 15-40 but they replace it with 10-30w.
hafadude Legacy Donating Member 245 Member For: 21y 4m 25d Gender: Male Location: Cairns Qld Posted 27/05/05 08:30 AM Author Posted 27/05/05 08:30 AM G'day Trough Lolly,I spoke to the dealer again today and they said that the service info given before was incorrect. What they recommend and put in for the turbo is Ford LPG oil I.e. what is used in gas-powered cars! The grade is 15W/40 after all. Glad I persisted and finally got the right infoThey said for ordinary Falcons 10W/30 is what is used.Mystery solved?
Andrew50 Member 75 Member For: 21y 9m 7d Posted 27/05/05 10:34 AM Posted 27/05/05 10:34 AM I've had 2 oil changes done in my T by Ford service and both times they have listed Shell Helix 10W/30 as the oil grade used. Is it of a concern? Should I contact them and query? The car is driven in Victoria and the climate is really cooling off.
rusht Member 198 Member For: 22y 3m 7d Posted 28/05/05 07:06 AM Posted 28/05/05 07:06 AM I've had 2 oil changes done in my T by Ford service and both times they have listed Shell Helix 10W/30 as the oil grade used. Is it of a concern? Should I contact them and query? The car is driven in Victoria and the climate is really cooling off.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andrew I did and service changed it for 15w40. Have a look at this thread for detail.Hardyhttp://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...wtopic=9079&hl=
hafadude Legacy Donating Member 245 Member For: 21y 4m 25d Gender: Male Location: Cairns Qld Posted 28/05/05 02:06 PM Author Posted 28/05/05 02:06 PM And here's another good one....http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17188Didn't realise there are so many opinions about oils! Even the dealers seem to struggle with this one. The spare parts section at my local Ford dealer checked the Ford oil chart and they said the LPG 10W/40 was the recommended one. It's branded "Ford" but we all know that Ford don't make oils! It's someone else's of course but I don't think they will be telling us quickly whose it is. It does not appear to be a synthetic though.I agree with most people that it's best to change your oil and filter more often than the recommended 15K especially in T's that do a lot of city running, cold starts, downing Holdens etc
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 29/05/05 01:56 AM Posted 29/05/05 01:56 AM I've had this problem before aswell. It turns out that the Ford dealers service software only has one type of oil loaded into it. So they just use that to get your service prices, whereas the correct oil has been put into your car (well it had in my ute anyway).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now