bob^ Member 170 Member For: 22y 11m 5d Location: Geelong Posted 16/02/05 09:43 PM Posted 16/02/05 09:43 PM I got my diff replaced in my NA about 6 months ago, and since then I have been very good to the new diff. No burnouts. Actually I've done one line locker since, and looped maybe 3 donuts. Now heres the problem, in a straight line, no worries it hooks 2 wheels, but when it comes to doing a donut, or even when turning in the wet, it ends up acting like a single spinner diff, then it usually will pick the 2nd wheel up sending me in a nice fishy, in the wet anyway.Is this something easily fixed/adjusted by a diff shop? or is it time for yet another diff? I'm not exactly keen on walking in there and saying "hey my lsd only spins one wheel", especially now that I'm on my 2nd diff.
shiftyxr Member 340 Member For: 22y 5m 15d Location: Adelaide Posted 16/02/05 09:50 PM Posted 16/02/05 09:50 PM I dont think NAs have LSD as standard only xr8 and xr6t
bob^ Member 170 Member For: 22y 11m 5d Location: Geelong Posted 16/02/05 09:57 PM Author Posted 16/02/05 09:57 PM Correct, but mines optioned . No way was I settling for a single spinner.I actually think they come when you order the tow pack also???
Goose 00-XRG / 006-FPV Legacy Donating Member 530 Member For: 23y 10m 2d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 16/02/05 10:17 PM Posted 16/02/05 10:17 PM How did you get your diff replaced initially?? Did it have the whine?I've got LSD but mine is sort of playing up. Sometime when going around a corner and booting it, it'll spin a single wheel for about 1.5sec before getting real violent and kicking in the second wheel.I just dunno how to explain it to ford to get them to look at it.
bob^ Member 170 Member For: 22y 11m 5d Location: Geelong Posted 16/02/05 10:51 PM Author Posted 16/02/05 10:51 PM First time, I was comming out of a carpark in the wet, and it dropped a wheel, then made this horrible grinding sound, then picked up the 2nd wheel. It was fine around normal corners, well so I thought, until it came time to turning into a driveway. It was making violent banging sounds and jolting the whole car around when turning left. It was also making this horrible squeeling sound.The next day it was fine, and it was fine for maybe another month, until I took off with a slight chirp from a mates house. I heard this all mighty thud, and at the time thought it was something in the boot that I had.Next sharp right corner, I heard the tyres chattering exactly like it had a locked diff. I could live with that for a while. But turning left, it was making those banging sounds and jolting the car around again.Took it straight to the dealer, as I had taken it in after the first time but they found nothing wrong with it. Dealer wouldn't let me drive it home and I got the replacement diff.Goose mine does what yours does too, except it spins a single wheel for longer sometimes. And sometimes won't pick up the 2nd wheel at all.The only thing I could say to the dealer is ask them why my diff only spins one wheel at the next service, when in the wet and taking off around a corner. Where as it used to just grip the whole way through the corner.
YOOT Member 1,201 Member For: 23y 3m 19d Location: Birkdale Posted 17/02/05 08:02 AM Posted 17/02/05 08:02 AM Somebody mentioned this once when going up a driveway, the inside wheel left the ground and spun in the air, the other wheel received no drive at all. This was on an XR8 ute I believe. When queried at Ford they stated it wasn't an LSD but a spin resistant diff... WTF!? Is there a difference? Its either open or LSD or locked!
rusht Member 198 Member For: 22y 3m 7d Posted 18/02/05 08:55 PM Posted 18/02/05 08:55 PM It was making violent banging sounds and jolting the whole car around when turningchattering exactly like it had a locked diffBob,I had a dark side LSD which a dealer put the wrong oil in (HD oil instead of synthetic) and this stuffed the diff and created exactly what you are explaining. Diff specialist called it cone binding Lucky they detailed on the service receipt which oil they put in my diff :lol:
bob^ Member 170 Member For: 22y 11m 5d Location: Geelong Posted 19/02/05 10:09 AM Author Posted 19/02/05 10:09 AM They just replaced mine, no questions asked.I'm going to mention the lsd spinning one wheel in the wet off takeoff at its next service. See what they have to say.
bob^ Member 170 Member For: 22y 11m 5d Location: Geelong Posted 03/03/05 04:34 AM Author Posted 03/03/05 04:34 AM And yet again, they're replacing mine no questions asked.They took it into a diff specialist today whilst it was in for a service. Explained to them that it starts spinning one wheel in the wet. When I went to pick up the car they informed me a new diff was on order
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now