vuster Member 112 Member For: 21y 11m 7d Location: Melbourne Posted 17/01/05 01:33 AM Posted 17/01/05 01:33 AM (edited) I need some advice. I lease my cars, and therefore can't make any modifications to them, the car remains the property of the lease company. It also has to be under $60,000 otherwise there is quite a big fee to pay, that rules out the GT. Because of this, I've been considering a Typhoon as my next car (it's basically a tricked up XR6T after all) but a couple of articles I read today have me worried -MOTOR magazine, February 2005, Big Blow To TyphoonFord Performance Vehicles F6 Typhoon is underfoing emergency re-engineering after two of it's turbocharged six-cylinder sedans failed at MOTOR's Performance Car Of The Year (PCOTY).....both cars suffered identical failures in their twin plate AP Racing clutch packs.....the PCOTY meltdown brings to three the number of failures in a matter of weeks.....MOTOR magazine, February 2005, Where's The SpeedTyphoon has 30kW more than XR6T, so why is it slower?.....MOTOR could only manage a 0-100 time of 6.4 in a Typhoon, 25 Degrees.........XR6T 0-100 time of 5.91, 40 Degrees.....Typhoon - $58,590 XR6T - $45,205Are there any Typhoon owners out there who regret their decision?? I'm hoping this is all just hype or a slow news month at the magazine.Panda<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Panda,I'm also leasing at the moment. When I was in a hunt for a new car I was comparing the F6 to the VZ & VY HSV's. The F6 sold itself to me through my test drive, performance expectations, and also because it had 6 cylinders. When I did the sums for a 3 year lease the F6 came out on top because the maintenance and petrol was much cheaper when compared with the V8's. My Fleet company doesn't charge any difference when it comes to a normal 6 cylinder and a turbo 6 cylinder.Basically a 60K F6 would cost me the same annually as a 50K VY HSV even though it was more expensive. Therefore a 60K GT or VZ HSV would set you back even more. There was about a 5K difference annually when I compared the VZ HSV with the F6.The F6 is the go for you in my opinion. Before making your final decision get a quote on the lease for both the GT and F6. Edited 17/01/05 01:35 AM by vuster
vuster Member 112 Member For: 21y 11m 7d Location: Melbourne Posted 17/01/05 01:34 AM Posted 17/01/05 01:34 AM Sorry Panda,I misread your post. I thought you were comparing the GT to the Typhoon.
Guest wrx365 Guests Posted 17/01/05 01:51 AM Posted 17/01/05 01:51 AM Again with the tall poppy sydrome. Look at the way the topic is titled and you know its another knocker of a great product. You say its just a tricked up XR6T so go out and buy a XR6T. A great quote: " whats the difference between a *beep* and a Black man? A Black man wouldn't answer this question".Similarly, I think you are provoking a slang about the F6. Both the XR6T and the F6 are good cars. It would be like deciding between an SS or Clubsport. The Clubsport is only marginally quicker than the SS, and so too between the WRX and the STi.The fact is lots more people buy the cheaper model because it is just that, more affordable. In reallity ask yourself this, If someone said to you, "pick one and money is no object", 100% of people would pick the F6, Clubsport and STi over their cheaper counterpart. Since the majority of people opt for the cheaper option, human nature likes to criticise whats perceived to be better to make us all feel better. Don't SS owners love it when motor mag times the SS quicker than the Clubbie. Think about it!<{POST_SNAPBACK}>What are you on?Obviously you haven't driven the cars you mentioned and get your facts right. The STI is subtantially quicker than the WRX and the Clubbies are quicker than the SS. And people do not always go for the cheaper option, look at the STI and Clubsport they are still selling in good numbers...The problem withe the Typhoon for some people is that there isnt enough bang to warrant the price premium over a T.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now