Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 3d
  • Gender: Not Telling
Posted

Has anyone else got a park brake that doesnt work?

Mine started off with that swooshing sound, so at the 15000km service I asked them to fix it. From there on in, it deteriorated.

While getting my diff re-sealed and water pump seal fixed (third time), asked the dealer to fix the park brake. Got it back and it was not working at all.

Took it back Saturday, and found out that the shoes warp and Ford dont know why. So a 2 hour warranty job later, all is well.

  • Forum Superhero
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 11d
  • Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico
Posted

Yeah, have had mine adjusted more times than I have had hot dinners. They tell me it's normal then I check 3 other cars in the workshop with them and they are all completely different. I personally believe your elbow should not touch the roof when pulling on your parkbrake, but apparently it's meant to be that high? :whistle:

I am told that it's because of the 'Live' axel, and that it is a problem where the cable keeps getting stretched. Apparently it's some thing that is very tempremental and I believe it's acknowledged as being a problem, but whether they produce a fix for it will be another thing.

Posted

Took my car to a dealer south of sydney when my mate at D&M said the rear disks were out of shape. I could hear the problem when I was driving so I asked the ford dealer to look at the rear brakes disks.

Got the car back and the :whistle: dealer had machined the front brakes and never touched the rears.:msm:

One week later I was back home and took the problem to Brooky ford and they worked on the hand brake and then told me the front brakes needed to be machined as well.

I asked the guy at Brooky did thay even look at the front disks and the guy couldn't tell me. After proving to me that their keen to do work weather its needed or not they then billed me for around $90 for the hand brake ajustment.

My question is are the Ford dealers just doing the work on the fronts because its easy money form Ford?

I saw them test drive it, so I know they are ment to have cheaked the hand brake, I saw 2 guys from Ford in my car opened :glad: it up coming onto Pittwater road. I was at a mates dealership across the road having a coffee when the bastards thought they'd cheak the hand brake by giving it stick down the main road in peak hour.

Don't know what giving my car a boot full has to do with the hand brake, because I had told them on drop off the problem could be heard every time nice and clear at slow speeds.

The rear disks are still worped, my hand brake is working for now and my front brakes which I'd never had a problem with are now thiner than ever.

BA Brakes, "CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS" :glad:

  • Flower Power
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

In my old car my hand brake never worked from about 3000kms.

Got it adjusted every two weeks, and it still didn't work on any kind of incline.

Luckily in my new car, 10,000kms (7 weeks) later and the hand brake works perfectly.

  • Next stage, to the Pub in 10 seconds
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 1m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Berwick Victoria
Posted

I have the same problem, My brakes at the rear makes this swoshing sound caused by the hand brake and it drives me crazy! Some days are ok and others are bad. I find that sometimes when you park your car over night pull the hand brake all the way up and the next day its gone or very quite.

Just a tip for you guys...give it a try and see how it goes?

Rob...

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 11m 4d
  • Location: Geelong
Posted

The shoes in the drum in the rear rub ever so slightly. Mine went back 7 times and it would be fine for the first day or 2, then the woosh sound would return. Sometimes when I'd take the car back to the dealer, the noise would dissapear. I found applying the handbrake and then taking it off again would make it return. As Mr Turbo said, some days its worse than others.

It really is quite embarrasing having a brand new car that makes noises.

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

From my experience it's either one extreme or the other - with only a day or two of good in between. You are essentially either blessed with a disfunctional park brake that will not engage or the woosh woosh sound (or in my case the scrape scrape sound).

As a compromise I just don't use the park brake unless I absolutely have to, although it is not the safest habbit, I'm almost always parked on level ground so it's not a huge issue. I feel it's just one of those things that goes hand in hand with the whining diff and the heat sheild rattle.

It's still worth the minor discomfort with these things though to be blessed with the pleasure of driving a T. :spoton:

Trent.

  • Next stage, to the Pub in 10 seconds
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 1m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Berwick Victoria
Posted

The hand brake shoe drums at the rear have a mind of them own! Yeah one day quite next swosh swosh... if you hear this try playing around with your hand brake at the lights, and if your lucky it goes away. Its very embarrasing if your crusing down a shopping strip with shops either side and you hear that "LOVELY noise" mmmm music to my ears :spoton::blush:

Went to the dealer today and there is nothing they can do to rectify this problem. Only solution was to adjust the hand brake but no guarantees it will not come back.

They said "Ford is aware of this problem and are looking into it"

Wonder how long to we get some feed back.

Rob...

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 3d
  • Gender: Not Telling
Posted

If I was you guys and your hand brake doesnt work, get em to put a new set of shoes in it.

I believe a car without an effective park brake is a safety issue and Ford should have no problem with replacing shoes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...