Guest Toothman Guests Posted 01/08/04 02:47 AM Posted 01/08/04 02:47 AM Hope this is question is in the correct section - not exactly mechanical or performance related but...Has anyone out there modified their audio system? Am just about to order a XR6t ute and want to be able to use my mp3 player so am going for the aux input option. Would also love to install a Sub, amp and better speakers - but as the stock audio gear is built into the dash it seems difficult to replace it with something else.Am also currently investigating installing a pocket pc/palm device to act as a touch screen which would be connected to a portable laptop drive full of MP3s. The pocket pc would then connect via the aux input into the XR6t's audio system (possibly via a pre-amp if neccessary). Am currently trying to work out if the power required to run these devices from a car battery is too much - but can't imagine it would be a problem, even if it means an extra battery.Bit of a pipe dream perhaps - but to me it doesn't seem like a difficult thing to install - and a 120gig or bigger drive full of MP3s (and videos, games etc) would be pretty awesome me thinks First things first - let me know what you have done with your audio...
GOLDIE My new toy Legacy Donating Member 5,344 Member For: 23y 5m 14d Gender: Male Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld. Posted 01/08/04 02:54 AM Posted 01/08/04 02:54 AM Hi toothman as youwill see by my sig I have done a bit of audio mod to your car.As for sub and amps go you can use the ford head unit and use line convertors from the speakers to provide rca leads to run the amps for better sound.There is a lot of threads on stereo's on here but I do not know how to link you to them.Ian
Guest Toothman Guests Posted 01/08/04 03:02 AM Posted 01/08/04 03:02 AM Clarion 5.1 and 3 screens??? Nice Goldie, VERY nice!! Will have to have a chat to you some time in a little more detail if its ok. Do you have any images of your system you could post?Is there any point in me getting the audio upgrade from Ford? As far as I can see all that means for a ute is that you get 6 disc in dash is that correct?
turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 10d Location: Toowoomba Posted 01/08/04 03:43 AM Posted 01/08/04 03:43 AM Yeah, that's correct, unless its been change since I ordered my car 16 months ago, even with the ford upgrade you could never get the colour screen it only came with the in dash stacker.
mattpwc Member 51 Member For: 22y 4m Location: New Zealand Posted 01/08/04 04:54 AM Posted 01/08/04 04:54 AM hey toothman... I have modified my stereo and it sounds awesome... basicly they run leads into the back of the existing system which convert to rca and drop the signal strength ( dont want an amplified signal going into a amplifier... nono...) then amp to speakers and your away... I have alpine r32 front components and would highly recommend them... best front components for the money... rears are alpine 6x9s and are very good also... and a 12" sub in the back for kick... so... the deck power still runs the back speakers... 2 channels of my amp run the front speakers and I have bridged 2 channels to run the sub at high power for more of a tight bass... I had the gear from a previous car and to install it cost about $400nzd... but whole system plus installation would cost about $2000... and tell who ever installs it to make it so it can accept the factory speakers again so whan you sell it you transfer the system to your new car...ps... my installer said the BA has a very noisy electical system so get you installer to avoid placing cables near the fusebox or window motors etc etc...good luck
xlr8ed Phantom lives Member 1,417 Member For: 22y 5m 14d Gender: Male Location: who knows Posted 01/08/04 06:12 AM Posted 01/08/04 06:12 AM its very easy to run aftermarket head units and amps just run new wiring harness to your head unit and amps.. I got clarion 5.1,3 screens,6 x 1000 watt rms amps,ported box, 2600 watt rms 12" crossfire subwoofer,3 x optima batteries in boot,3 x 6.5" crossfire splits in front doors,rear shelf and boot...jeff
tuffxr6 Member 104 Member For: 22y 5m 7d Location: goldcoast Posted 01/08/04 11:24 AM Posted 01/08/04 11:24 AM Ive just installed(autobarn)a 15''clarion sub behind the passanger seat,rockford punch amp behind the drivers seat and a set of focal splits in my xr6t ute:rockon: the passenger side losers a bit of leg room, didnt change the head unit been told it could stuff up the electronics to much if played with.
-carty nutter Member 1,966 Member For: 22y 9m Location: Wagga Wagga Posted 01/08/04 12:00 PM Posted 01/08/04 12:00 PM its very easy to run aftermarket head units and amps just run new wiring harness to your head unit and amps.. I got clarion 5.1,3 screens,6 x 1000 watt rms amps,ported box, 2600 watt rms 12" crossfire subwoofer,3 x optima batteries in boot,3 x 6.5" crossfire splits in front doors,rear shelf and boot...jeff that sounds like one hell of a sound machine...
Guest Toothman Guests Posted 03/08/04 08:58 AM Posted 03/08/04 08:58 AM Nice mods all round then eh? Thanks for the details and tips/recommendations - it's the little things like the info on the BAs noisy electrics that help to make a big difference. Audio mods are one of those that are always difficult to get right because you don't know what you'll get until it's all paid for and installed.Have re-thought my ideas to replace the MP3 drive with a modded X-box with a big drive and media player installed. Also has the added advantage of having things like a network card (which I will make wireless so all I have to do is park the car and go inside or use the lappy to transfer files). Would still like to use the pda to control it which I think will be possible by using a wireless pda, and installing remote learning software onto it to teach it the x-box remote commands.
Guest Guests Posted 08/08/05 12:33 PM Posted 08/08/05 12:33 PM its very easy to run aftermarket head units and amps just run new wiring harness to your head unit and amps.. I got clarion 5.1,3 screens,6 x 1000 watt rms amps,ported box, 2600 watt rms 12" crossfire subwoofer,3 x optima batteries in boot,3 x 6.5" crossfire splits in front doors,rear shelf and boot...jeff<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi mate,I have 2 x 1ooo watt cross fire amps and 2 5oowatt cross fire 15'' subs I'd like to put in my car. So far I've been quoted stupid figures just to install them, I'd like to here from someone who has a decent system in the car.What I want is to upgrade the whole system but leave the standard premium sound as the head unit, for now anyway. What sort of $$$ do you think it'd cost to setup the gear I have along with a decent set of splits.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now