dsan Member 60 Member For: 22y 6m 24d Location: Maitland, NSW Posted 23/05/04 09:56 AM Posted 23/05/04 09:56 AM (edited) I'm in the same situation. I removed the system from my current car (a Lancer) this afternoon so I can reinstall it all in the T when I get it. It consists of a pair of Focal Polykevlar splits driven by an Audison Lrx2.150 amp and a single JL Audio 12W3D2 sub powered by a cheap Jaycar amp bridged to output 400WRMS.I would REALLY like to get as much of this stuff as possible into the T as I was very happy with the sound in the Lancer.I've read that 6/6.5" speakers are fairly easy to install in the factory 5x7" speaker locations if you make some spacers or something out of MDF so I guess I'll check it out when I have the car and hope for the best. Edited 23/05/04 09:58 AM by dsan
xlr8ed Phantom lives Member 1,417 Member For: 22y 5m 19d Gender: Male Location: who knows Posted 23/05/04 02:11 PM Posted 23/05/04 02:11 PM you can always fit your own head unit down near tissue holder and run your own wiring lume to it. re-fit all your new speakers and run the wiring to your new head unit and install your amp to it and so on....... that way you dont touch the original head unit and you can always hook up the standard speakers back in to your standard head unit if you trade your car in ......... PS: leave original speaker wires where they are just tape them up good.......
Maxx Power Want E46 M3 Member 327 Member For: 23y 9m 9d Location: Adelaide Posted 24/05/04 04:00 AM Author Posted 24/05/04 04:00 AM An interesting approach xlr8ed, but I am trying to make mine look as stock as possible to try and deter thieves. I have had a closer look at the audio system and it looks very well integrated which is bad. I may wait a while yet and see what else comes on the market. I am really hanging for something that can turn the centre screen into an MP3 winamp type player. (Does something already exist?) That would be ideal..
dsan Member 60 Member For: 22y 6m 24d Location: Maitland, NSW Posted 25/05/04 02:43 PM Posted 25/05/04 02:43 PM The best way I have found to get an MP3 player into the T is to install a moddedXbox! There are a few people around (like aaronmihe) that are deep into installing it so it runs off the LCD. You can then upgrade the HDD and fill it up with MP3's, DivX movies, DVDs, games, all kinds of stuff. It's all tucked away neatly in the boot, never to be seen with the naked eye. All for about $400!This is very high on my list of things to do to the T (as soon as my bank account heals).
mattson Award Winning Photo guy Legacy Donating Member 1,340 Member For: 22y 9m 5d Gender: Male Location: Burleigh Waters Posted 25/05/04 11:40 PM Posted 25/05/04 11:40 PM $400 to interface a XBOX (modded) into the Premium ICC?I'd like to know who would do that for that price?I can't even buy a xbox for under $300 little own the modifications and a 120gb hdd costs over $200 by itself....Please explain!
aaronmihe Upstanding Member Member 759 Member For: 23y 1m 6d Location: Canberra - ACT Posted 26/05/04 12:04 AM Posted 26/05/04 12:04 AM (edited) Mattson....xbox $240 at EBsAladin Modchip $35120Gb Hdd $135Mod chip install $50Pulg for ICC $2Wiring $5DVD Remote $30Coupla switches to make it enable disable $5240v Invertor $100----So yeah it's not all that cheap.... And my setup which is vastly more extravagent (hence why it's taking so long) is going to end up with a street cost of over $1K, possibly $2k.... Why is mine so pricey? Well it starts by using one of the most costly modchips (Xenium), it uses a custom power supply that's specifically being designed for xbox use from as little as 8v (in other words it will keep running during engine cranking, the ICs for this are around the $25 each mark and it uses a few of them). At the moment I'm using a stocker 10Gb HDD but 120Gb will come. Then we chuck in the IR remote, the controls being integrated into the fascia and a quite probably a small blue text display to use when not overriding the ICC display... The problem for me is that there's a lot of possibility and not enough cash to just throw money at it.A chance is running Gentoox and linking into a GPS handheld like sold by SupaHeap and having NAV, MP3, DIVX etc etc all in one box...A. Edited 26/05/04 12:09 AM by aaronmihe
dsan Member 60 Member For: 22y 6m 24d Location: Maitland, NSW Posted 26/05/04 10:58 AM Posted 26/05/04 10:58 AM Well, I was a little cheap with my estimate but I was planning along the lines of, second hand xbox (it just needs to work perfectly, it can look crappy because it's going in the boot - who's gunna see it?), using the controller as the remote, maybe getting a smaller HDD, (I'll probably even have a spare 80gb by then so I'll probably use that) but $135 is worth it for the extra 40gb. It should end up about $400-500 - that's a bloody cheap way to get almost every entertainment medium you could want in a car! I cant wait
aaronmihe Upstanding Member Member 759 Member For: 23y 1m 6d Location: Canberra - ACT Posted 26/05/04 11:06 AM Posted 26/05/04 11:06 AM *nods* you're on the right path dsan... but don't forget xbox is only $249 RRP BRAND NEW these days... street price is about $240When most peopel are still asking for $200 used...........I wouldn't warroy about the disc upgrade until you've jumed it chockas of MP3s and really know you want/need more capacity.... You shoul have up to 6Gb to work with!A.
Maxx Power Want E46 M3 Member 327 Member For: 23y 9m 9d Location: Adelaide Posted 26/05/04 03:00 PM Author Posted 26/05/04 03:00 PM This Xbox mod is very interesting. I don't have any idea about how an Xbox works or what it can do as I have a PS2. Could someone please tell me what an Xbox can do besides play games? It sounds like a mini computer to me..Thanks
aaronmihe Upstanding Member Member 759 Member For: 23y 1m 6d Location: Canberra - ACT Posted 27/05/04 12:03 AM Posted 27/05/04 12:03 AM It is a mini-PC. Combined with a modchip you can then run something like Xbox Media Centre, it's capable of playback of pretty much any video and audio format, has a nice GUI, and best of all has nice Album/Genre/Artist management features that really let you have a mega collection of MP3 and sort and play/search through easily.A.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now