Jump to content

mickq

Member
  • Posts

    740
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mickq

  1. I am very interested to see how your new clutch and standard gearbox go over the next few months, so keep us in the loop, especially as to how the gearbox survives.
  2. mickq

    Ss V Commodore

    I dont know....I read the whole thing and I defintely dont think they say its no good. In fact they say its fantastic. Their main concern is its big (but despite this handles very very well) and their second concern is it will go through lots of fuel, brakes and tyres. I think some people here are being biased or skipping to the end of the article. Read it start to finish - they are clearly impressed with the car.
  3. mickq

    Motorbikes

    CBR-250R (single front brake) and RR's (double front brake) are reliable bikes. Most you will find on the road are imported so watch out - the imported ones come second hand from Japan, where they are raced. Generally the easiest way to pick them is the cheap-ass muffler the importers put on them to make them legal in Aus. One problem is that when they run the race-style mufflers in japan, they also rejet the bike. Changing back to an aussie style muffler makes the engine run very rich - much richer than it should. That being said, Jap engines tend to be very good and even if it has been raced hopefully you will get a good one. You can learn the genuine aussie ones by the exhuast can and also colour because only a couple of colours were imported here properly. The fastest 250cc four stroke is the ZX-2R which as someone said has funky air inlet hoses sticking out of the handle bar area and connecting to the petrol tank area (acually its an air filter not tank in that area). But its barely faster - not worth getting excited about because an ok rider on a slower bike will whip you regardless. I dont believe any of these are genuine imports...all are grey market. To be honest, there is stuff all difference between the 250's. Whilst the CBR's look ok, they are also made to rev - you have to ride them very hard and hold them very high in the revs to get power....and be in the right gear. If you arent, there isnt much power. Also, be warned....you CAN expect to drop the bike int he first 12 months. It may simply be at a servo or similar. If your bike has fairings expect the repair bill to be high, or you can not repair it and lose a lot on resale. I ended up going a naked bike called the Yamaha FZX250 Zeal which was also a better for for me as I am 6'1. It easily kept up with CBR's, and had a boot load more low and mid range torque. The engine was a factory modified version of the FZR250R engine, modded to add more torque and make it less peaky. It revved to 15.5k whilst the CBR's rev to around 18....but my engine made good power from just 7000 revs whilst the CBR needs a bootload more revs - its very peaky and that's not so enjoyable in traffic. I say go with any of the good brands (not chinese ones!) in either a V-twin or 4 stroke but NOT a 2 stoke. They are all pretty good. Just get one that looks in good nick and well cared for. Have someone who knows bikes give it a quick look over - there are certain things you should look for. Something as simple as the chain not being well maintained and snapping can bring you down, so dont get that cheaper, dodgy looking bike! Stay away from any 2 strokes. I dont care what anyone says, they are lethal. The insurance companies call them Kiddy Killers, and for good reason. that's why many insurers wont touch the 250cc 2 strokes. They are tricky to ride and catch out even experienced riders with their on/off power band. The 125cc 2 strokes arent as bad but put out about the same power as the 250cc 4 strokes but are lots more peaky and piggish to ride - there is no reason to go with a 125cc 2 stroke as nothing to gain. Not to mention the frequent maintenance of 2 strokes. This includes the Honda 125cc 2 stoke - there are made in malaysia and have TERRIBLE reputations for blowing engines. Some people have their well maintained engines blow 5+ times over their warrantee period and sell them to some poor git just as the warrantee expires. So check out any Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki 4 cylinder or V-twin bikes. All will be pretty good. The margin between them power wise is minimal once you start looking at the sportier ones. Do your searching on the net: try to get one with 35+hp. Bikes like the GPX250 have just 28 and are reasonably slow. 40-45hp will put you on par with CBR250RR's and there are several bikes including naked ones that have that much power. Be sure to put things in perspective though. Whilst at the moment there seems to be lots of difference and performance will be a big concern for you, after 6 months you will be used to the power and you will realise it wouldnt make that much difference what you would have bought as your first bike - its all about braking, gears, cornering etc. The first bike I rode larger than a 250 was a CBR-1000 a few years back on a test ride at Honda HART in Melbourne. Accelerated so quick in 2nd gear from 100kmh-185 or so it made me scream, literally. Like a mac truck had hit me from behind. And that's a slowish 1000cc bike! Am looking at the new R1 at the moment. Looks like a fun bike 12R's and 14R's are too large for my needs. You cant even use a 1000cc bike very well on the roads, I doubt a 1200 or 1400 is going to be of much more benefit other than a bit more mid range torque. Not sure about the 12R and 14R but the R1 does around 176kmh in 1st gear so using the full rev range on the streets is a pretty rare occurrence...whcih I guess you could argue is a reason its good to have more mid range torque. I prefer the cornering of a smaller capacity bike too. Ideally would liek the power of a 1000cc bike in a chassis that handles like a 600.
  4. I had similar on my second T - the sound difference was very noticeable; everyone who came for a spin in it noticed. It was my 2nd car and a Mk2 so I was not sure if they had altered the exhaust from my first Mk1 so put up with it. Car seemed to go well BUT I noticed off the line it seemed to build boost a little slower but once going went ok. I complained to my Ford servicing place at the 3k service and was told all was well. I complained again a few thousand k's later and insisted on taking one of their mechanics for a spin, and as soon as I showed him a few examples at the right rev range with the windows open, he said there was a problem. Turns out the insides of the back muffler had collapsed - and were faulty from delivery. Sometimes it improved peformance, sometimes it reduced it (may be related to it changing the normal amount of back pressure). Fixing it was a good thing.
  5. The XR8 is VERY noticeably slower than the XR6T, and it handles like a bus with an elephant sitting next to the driver. Seriously, it sounds fantastic, its just sadly not a very quick or well-handling and balanced car compared to the T. I think Ford should throw that v8 in the bin and start again. It would be great in a really light car, but doesnt cut it in the current car.
  6. mickq

    My New Pc Specs

    Give the sparse nature of the groupings of residential users, you'd find that not all CMUX, ASAM, or DSLAMs are connected to 155Mbit fiber fed exchanges. Take a microwave fed integrated RIM hut with remote CMUX ports (hardware lives in parent exchange, prime example of one we have here in WA from CANN being the parent node and Roley Stone being the exchange) for example that both share the same bandwith. Or even an average RIM cabinet with a mini mux or non-attached CMUX/DSLAM. These situations are more predominant than I suspect you may think. ← Im well aware of whats deployed, the volumes, and whats planned for the next couple of years. There are a fair few minimuxes but in terms of services deployed there are stuff all. Makes sense....takes a ton of minimuxes to make up for one full blown CMUX, ASAM or IPDSLAM. The later parts of my post made reference to there being exceptions as there are dslams not serviced by 155Mbps, but they are by faaaaar the minority which is why what I wrote holds true for the majority of users.
  7. mickq

    My New Pc Specs

    Im with Bigpond. Connected to an ASAM. The ASAM is fed by a 155Mbps fibre which eventually connects to a 10Gbps DWDM connection and then onto the Telstra backbone which has enough overseas and local internet bandwidth to handle anything this country can throw at it, and then some. Unlike most ISP's, Telstra doesnt really have much of a choke-point that is a bottleneck that ruins the download speeds. Most ISP's use Telstra's (or their own in some instances) DSL then it hits a massive bottleneck when it meets the ISP's connection to the internet on their premises. Those connections they tend to make as small as they can get away with as the more they use (or the faster it is) the more it costs them. This is particularly true of smaller ISP's where the net access is a huge chunk of their total costs. There is no traffic shaping that is less than the connection speed you pay for at Telstra. So if you have paid for 8Mbps they dont shape you down to a slower speed further up the chain unless you have hit your download limit for the month. They also do not use proxy servers as far as I know...its a pure internet connection. The main problem with cable is that it is shared. When its running at full speed its great (but still variable in speed normally). But the issue is that you can have well over 500 houses sharing one 10Mbps or ~100Mbps cable, depending on which provider you are with and which area you are in. So if its peak hour, it tends to slow down in many suburbs. If you are in an area that has a lot of cable internet users, it can slow down a ton in peak hours - I have seen 20-40KBps on a connection that off-peak does 1.2MBps. ADSL has recently overtaken cable in Australia in terms of speed capabilities both maximum peak and stable throughput. Not only is it capable of faster speeds that currently available through cable (24Mbps for ADSL and 17 or 20Mbps for cable) but the architecture means you arent sharing with your local users down the street. The sharing starts at the exchange where the pipe is normally lots bigger than the local street's pipe so you are much less likely to be impacted by lots of users slowing down the average speed. Last week I did a download test with a friend one suburb away (He is in Elsternwick in Vic). Saturday during the day. I downloaded a large (400MB) file from a US based newserver, and got my normal 888KB/sec stable (it can peak higher) dowload on my 8Mbps ADSL. He downloaded the same file at the same time on his 17Mbps Bigpond Cable connection and hit only 350KBps. Reason being his connection was shared with local houses and obviously others were online and downloading. All it takes is one kiddie up the street (or within many hundreds of houses where you live) downloading warez and it impacts on you. The same happens on some non-Telstra ISP's. Most have a choke point that is their internet connection, so its irrelevant how fast your modem connects to your exchange other than for marketing puposes (24Mbps sure sounds great!) - the data from the internet slows down through the choke point at peak times as lots of people are trying to get access to a small pipe so everyone gets a small slice of it. Unlike cable, I have never - not even once experienced anything less than full speed on ADSL 24/7, and I have been using it for 6 1/2 years now in three locations. However those using other ISP's I have found typically can not say the same - many slow down in peak hours. Its worth noting that some smaller suburbs with many fewer users wont have a 155Mbps fiber feeding their CMUX/ASAM/DSLAM so may be a bit more susceptible to slow downs caused by others in their suburb - but this is typically a small percentage of users. Then there are the new ones which are even better and have the brand new equipment....gigabit speed instead of just 155Mbps.
  8. mickq

    My New Pc Specs

    Nope, it wont be. Better quad cores arent out until much later next year. Faster RAM has been demoed at some IT shows but not available for an unknown time. The video card is by far the fastest and there arent any faster ones planned yet as this one wont even begin to stretch its legs until DirectX10 comes out and is widely used. Until then, there is no reason to make a faster card.
  9. mickq

    My New Pc Specs

    I have a ton of movies and TV shows and MP3's etc etc that I store which is why I have so much space. Games these days can chew up 4 Gig each with ease. I installed an Adobe package on the weekend that came on 4 DVD's and used 16 GB! Im lucky enough to have a big fat porn pipe at home. Just went up to 8Mbps (ADSL), and in Jan will jump up to 20Mbps at no extra cost which is nice. Must say even 8Mbps is very cool...amazingly quick. Unlike cable which is shared by up to 700 houses, its not impacted by what your neighbours do, so its a genuine never-slowing 8Mbps. I have run many tests and have frequently beat a mate who has 17Mbps Bigpond Cable Extreme. Will consider cooling my graphics card as well. The thing I dont like is that to do it I have to pull off all the factory heat sinks, fans etc which looks like a daring thing to do on a new $1000 vid card - might leave that a while. Not sure if pulling all that stuff off the card is reversible.
  10. For those who are technology inclined....here are the specs of my new PC. Intel QX6700 Quad core CPU 2 GB Corsair Dominator PC-9136 RAM Asus Striker Extreme 680i based motherboard Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB vid card 680w Thermaltake Purepower powersupply 2 x 150GB WD Raptor 10,000rpm hard disks in striped array (Windows drives) 2 x 320GB SATA HDD's in mirrored array for important stuff like MP3's etc 1 x 750GB SATA drive for storage etc 1 x 250GB SATA drive for other crap and a couple of other drives (bringing it up to ~2.2TB) The top 4 pieces are my new goodies....and three of them -the hottest hardware on the planet at the moment - are sitting under my couch as I type this, doing nothing while I wait to get my Striker Extreme motherboard! I am tossing up doing water cooling too, at least for the CPU. Will wait and see how it goes, and how overclocking goes if I feel the urge to go faster. Am reasonably tempted to buy a water cooling kit and speed up the CPU a fair bit, and maybe later add water cooling to the video card and motherboard chips as well, but will see how it goes. So there it is. Cant wait for the damn motherboard to arrive so I can finally use it all!
  11. mickq

    Msn

    Hey all, Dont worry about the problem. I had it too, as did a friend of mine using a different ISP. Over the history of messenger it has happened around 4 times, and each time it happened it was due to them doing major updates to the hardware and software that are on the Messenger servers. In general what happens is there is a sudden outage (like we just saw) and then it comes back. About 3-10 days later they then release a new version of messenger with a bunch of new features. Its just a system upgrade they did, that's all. Normally we end up getting a new version and new stuff to play with afterwards. Annoying for sure though! that's why I use Google chat as a backup instant messaging client.
  12. mickq

    Noisy 1st Gear

    I would try a slightly thicker gear box oil - but still within the manufacturer specs. That tends to shut up noisy gears a bit. Its a trick of the 2nd hand car trade - put uber-thick oil in the gearbox and it shuts up just about any problems you can normally hear.
  13. If its the same report I am thinking of, I read this report a year or two ago in full after it was posted in a motorbike forum I read. I think its a great idea, and we should use it. It would just about immediately reduce frustration, concern about speed cameras being a ripoff etc. People would likely feel they were fairly caught when they were caught. The logic behind it is solid. From memory it was along the lines of most drivers want to drive carefully, and drive according to the prevailing conditions: weather, what they can see, road quality etc. The speed at which 85% of drivers drive under on that road is a safe speed to travel. Those going >30kmh above standard traffic flow that present massive risks to all involved. So the cutoff at the 85th percentile was deemed to be a reasonable method of a) ensuring people get to their destination alive and b) ensuring people were allowed to travel at a speed reasonable for that road for a reasonable person and c) those flouting it higely were considered possibly dangerous so booking wasnt unreasonable. Its a nice democratic way of setting limits: the majority rules! Whatever speed they do is what you set the speed limit at. What was interesting was that when speed limits were raised, lowered or removed on the trial roads across the US, it barely made a difference to the speed most people travel, as again they are traveling as what they believe to be safe given the conditions. Its totally fair, as its based on logic and a so called "reasonable man" test just like court cases often are. It shows around 85% of people are sensible. They drive safely, not according to what a painted metal sheet says they should do. Anyone who drove the Great Ocean Rd in Vic before the speed limits were recently changed (where all of it was 100km/h zone) will know trusting a sign is very dangerous, and you simply can NOT drive safely at a speed the sign says you can do. Its a 100 zone and some corners 60kmh is seriously pushing it. (Which is why it was rare and I loved it, you could drive it like a race track and drive to your limits yet not break the law) Our speed set by applying some dumb rules: many local councils set smaller road speeds. As soon as they have 50 or 40 to choose from they tend to apply it to everything. There is an example in Melb where a school on one side of a road means a 70 zone is reduced to 40 (or might be 50) SIX lanes away from the school, across a major road and a total of 4 or 5 median strips. (Near Box Hill for those interested). On many larger roads the speed limits are more complex. They include tests where they drive in a car holding something like a pendulum. As they go around a corner, they look at how far it sways. Once it hits a certain angle (like 30 degrees for example but cant remember actual limit) they put that as the speed limit. The logic is that semi trailers have that as their max lean angle by Australian standards, and so that should be the limit. that's dumb - let the (often) professionals driving semi trailors choose, and put indicative limits there just for them. Dont slow a Ferrari because of a specilist transport vehicle like a semi. As for me, I drive according to what I can see. If I can see all directions a good distance and the road is good, then my primary concern is whether it is possible for an obstruction to appear in front of me in such a way as I couldnt stop in time. If I have a clear view or runoff alternative, my speed goes up. If its a tight blind corner, my speed goes down even if I know the road well and could go twice the speed...as for all I know a truck has overturned a few metres out of my sight.
  14. Looks aside, the current model T is not all that different from an F6... especially in the engine department. Same bottom end, same valve springs, same everything else except the rocker cover and an oil cooler and intercooler... Honestly mate, if you are happy with something and are confident it will probably make you happy again if it had more power, go and buy a new one and get it edited! The price difference has to sway you closer to the blue oval surely! Have you driven an edited car? An edit only (custom tune on a new BF auto) will get you a VERY quick car that is fun to drive all the time. Have you driven a V8 for an extended period of time? (any T driver who gets into a v8 will agree with me... ) Seriously think about this, the little things you mentioned upon first impression of the new VE will eat away at you later on and annoy the crap out of you. ← The thing stopping me doing that (which I would love to do with my current T) is this: - Even if I was to keep my standard car, it would cost 30% more than I currently pay in order for me to keep my old car. ie I can get a brand new car (but must keep it standard) and pay 30% less than I would otherwise pay. And it includes all costs - fuel, tyres, servicing etc in endless amounts. - If I wanted to modify my T I would have to go a different path. I would have to pay (pre-tax) for all fuel, tyres etc. I do low k's so the fringe benefits tax would kill me too. To give you some idea, I do largely city k's and I use well over 23L/100km of Optimax, and less than 10,000km per set of rear tyres. As you can imagine, endless fuel, tyres etc makes a massive difference to the cost when you have stats like that! Now on top of me suddenly having to pay for all those fuel and tyres, you need to keep in mind those are my figures for my STANDARD xr6T. Imagine what they would be like if the car was edited. I drive hard by anyone's definition. An edit would just allow me to drive harder. Unfortunately its not cost effective to get my own T and do an edit. When my salary goes up a decent chunk I might well consider it (after someone here takes me for a spin in one and it appears good) but until then, the standard car option of either T or SS or SS-V is much, much, much cheaper. Im used to my T, that's the biggest problem. 4 years of T's. Can drive it with my eyes shut and there isnt anything it can do that I cant make it do. Need a change. Upping the power would be awesome fun, but just not worth while given my other options. (Believe me, if you have the same options of endless fuel, tyres etc I do - so long as the car is standard - modding isnt so tempting).
  15. Sorry, I don't know what you think a sports car is, but large family 4 doors with beefed up motors and suspension ain't it. Once agian, you seem easliy suckered by the Expensive Daewoo bullsh*t train. They are never a quick as Expensive Daewoo or the magazines say and if you haven't realised this by now, you never will. I find it hard to understand why someone would say they are spending 45-60k on something they 'regret' to have to buy??????????????????????? It's your money, if you don't really want what you're sspending it on, then don't do it. ← Man you really have some serious issues. BTW you have an identical clone on the LS1 forum but of course he thinks Fords are as sh*t as you think holdens are. If you two ever meet I can I be ring side for the main event. ← Just a loser troll. Ignore him, or if its a pattern with his posts, ban him.
  16. Exactly! Give me the upcoming M3 or current M5 any day.
  17. Sorry, I don't know what you think a sports car is, but large family 4 doors with beefed up motors and suspension ain't it. Once agian, you seem easliy suckered by the Expensive Daewoo bullsh*t train. They are never a quick as Expensive Daewoo or the magazines say and if you haven't realised this by now, you never will. I find it hard to understand why someone would say they are spending 45-60k on something they 'regret' to have to buy??????????????????????? It's your money, if you don't really want what you're sspending it on, then don't do it. ← ZZzzzzzzz....if you decide to say something intelligent, wake me up..... And I dont spend $45-60k on them Halve that figure. Then take a bit more off it. Then throw in free fuel, tyres, servicing, insurance, rego etc, and you will have some idea what I pay. Obviously you didnt read my post. And if you think it isnt a sports car, you are stupid. What market do you think its aimed at? What car segment do you think its in? Just because it has 4 doors doesnt mean its not a sports car. I never take much note of press releases as ALL major companies fill them with crap. Ford is no exception, neither is Holden. I use them as a guide, until independent facts arrive. I see you have been here all of a month or two. Havent added much value in that time, I bet. Duh. You sure you arent confusing this with a Expensive Daewoo site where low IQ is often the norm? May I recommend ls1.com.au as a place you will fit right in?
  18. mickq

    Turbo Tach

    Hey all, For some reason I think this might get a bit of interest here.... Check this out: A tacho for your turbo. Yes, it tells you in real time how many tens of thousands of RPM's your turbo is spinning. Very cool. As well as displaying your turbo's RPM in real time (100,000rpm would look way cool!), it also logs data for later analysis. One cool and practical result of real time info and logging of data is that it will allow you to see clearly any over-boosting that may be occurring. You can also overlay the data with your engine ECU map, and match turbo speeds to revs etc to ensure you tweak things just right in your edits. For those doing hard core tuning, it will also let you know when you are at the limits of your current turbo's abilities. This product will launch soon, but I am not sure what mods are needed to allow the sensor to determine your turbine speed. Worse case, it looks like possibly a drill into the turbo housing which is a little worrying, but we will have to wait and see. Its possible (actually I would say likely) that its a lot more simple than that. Anyway, for some reason I thought people here may be a little bit interested....
  19. I must say I am very annoyed at Ford for not improving the T beyond very minor tweaks. Dont get me wrong - style wise etc I think the car is great (and wont be surprised if I like it more than my new SS-V when it arrives..at least the interior), and the 6 speed manual (and auto) is the ants pants and fantastic improvements, but where is the power??!! These are sports cars, and should not be sitting around watching the close competing products move forward by leaps and bounds to the point that the traffic light olympics may not be such a close call any more....the standard T's may lose. We all know how easy it is to increase power on the T's, and I reckon the standard T should be more like the Typhoon by now. There is no excuse for it as the extra production costs are tiny. Expensive Daewoo are smart as they realise this, and increase KW by about 5kw every year. So if I buy another one in 2 years, at least I have an extra 10-15kw - enough to perhaps keep me interested as it will be a little quicker than my old one. My first T near the start was 240kw. My second T 2 years later was 240kw. No change at all in power. They did a minor increase not too long after, but that's 2 1/2 years of no change - resting on their laurels. A pity. I am a big fan of continuous improvement and Ford has not been doing that power-wise. With a turbo powered car there is no excuse for that. So here I am now...it will be just over 4 years since my first T, and the replacement T offered by Ford is a whole 5kw/30Nm more powerful than my first T 4 years ago.... that's not good progress in my book. If the T was more like the Typhoon now, I would probably be looking at my 3rd T. Instead I am looking at a competitor's car...a real pity.
  20. Thanks for the mature, knowledgeable support guys. You just wouldn't get that kind of response if the opposite was happening and I posted the reverse message at a Expensive Daewoo forum like LS1.com.au I checked out a black SS-V today, the first I have seen in "my" colour. What is it with the stump-jumping giraffe height? I had my T parked near it, and my T looked liked an F1 car in comparison. No idea why their height is so high. Defies logic for a sports car. But interestingly despite the Monster Truck style height, they reviews of handling are pretty good in general. There must be some reason they did it as its so high it just couldnt be a mistake...I hope! The handbrake looks simply stuffed when its pulled up. Awkward and cheap, like it is trying to break or something. Weird. Same with the red central dash screen. I mean how stupid is the person who decided that battery voltage, oil pressure and crap like that needs to be front centre and bright red? I note that Wheels is showing the 0-100 time as 5.6 (manual) which is almost half a second off the claimed 5.2. Dodgy stuff from Holden - although still better than my standard T. When will Expensive Daewoo realise that if anything they should UNDERSTATE their figures. Takes all of 2 weeks before the mags will set the official figures straight. BMW tends to do this, and its a cool way of doing it - the factory figures are conservative - almost what the average driver will do. But a good driver will do better - which is what the mags all show and those in the known will understand. Anyway, I promise you all a seriously detailed review...better than anything in wheels or motor mags - and written from an experienced T drivers perspective - within a week or so of picking it up.
  21. Oh, I just know this wont go down well..... I have owned T's since the first few months they came out. I am on my second now. Love them - they have simply been awesome in *every* way. Very hard to break (broke my first one a little bit but the second was better and bulletproof...and I drive HARD!) Well, due to the deal I get through work, come April I say goodbye to my T and get another car, which I must order soon. I have the full Expensive Daewoo and Ford range to choose from, but not HSV or FPV. Its not worth me hotting up my T (but I would love to!) as that means I would have to do a novated lease which would be 30%+ more expensive than getting a new car and wouldnt include endless tyres, servicing, insurance and fuel. Sooooo......I must admit I have been reading with interest about the SS-V and was happy to hear it does 0-100 in ~5.2s which is a serious time (and very exciting for us all as Ford will surely (hopefully!) respond in kind). Unfortunately as I dont want a 3rd new T unless it has a fair bit more power (and Ford arent doing that any time soon), and as the XR8 is not quick enough for me nor handles as well as the T, the SS is the only other option at the moment. So Im likely to order one soon and pick it up early April. Im thinking black with charcoal interior. I'll be sure to do a very comprehensive T vs SS-V writeup here once I have played with it a few days. I have well and trully conquered the T over the last 4 years so am well placed to do an accurate write up - probably better than most magazines we have all read as they just borrow the cars for a day or so. I am trying to work out how to come to grips with the gay handbrake and the stupid red centre console lights showing useless information brightly night and day....and Im really going to miss my purple/blue dash lights - have to say I LOVE the T's dash at night. But dont fret - I might just put a Ford sticker on the back window of my SS-V when it comes.
  22. If I remember right, 1022hp and 1400NM of torque. I have stood about 4 feet away from that engine at full noise (not in line with the cylinders...not that that would have saved me....) and I must say that's one hell of an engine. You should hear the turbo. Makes dogs bark 300km away its so loud and high pitched. A video of that engine can be found here: http://www.nizpro.com.au/vids/Nizpro-1000hp-engine-med.avi (14MB) If I remember right (and I probably dont....) aside from springs, the engine was standard internally - never opened. It was their test bed for checking out what the limits of the engine were. Cant remember if I am 100% right on that - if you need to check post a message on the Nizpro forum and Simon will answer with fact.....a better source than my memory after 2 vodkas.
  23. avsforum.com is one of the best. Also, post questions here too...some of us have a lot of knowledge about audio and video and can easily help. Im a bit of an audiophile myself and have a home theatre setup most people say they prefer to the movies...
  24. They will beat a standard T without too much problem - if you can find a Porsche driver who knows how to use his right foot. Around 5.2sec 0-100 typically. Damn good for such a big heavy car. (And they sound very tough too)
  25. No, the current WRC rally cars are not even remotely close. From memory the current cars have a air intake restrictor of 45mm which is the main way they limit the power from all the cars taking part. They put out around 230kw and 550Nm from memory. Not too far off the XR6T...but the car is a fair it lighter than a T. To convert it to being similar to the Group B: Add just over twice the power, and reduce the weight by about 50% and you will start to get close! I'm pretty sure that I have read somewhere that current WRC spec cars are pretty much line-ball with the Group B cars, although they are a helluva lot easier to drive ←
×
×
  • Create New...