Jump to content

frankieh

Member
  • Posts

    29
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by frankieh

  1. Carlisle/Vic Park why? Incidently, my aftermarket electronic boost guage arrived today.. going to put it in and see if the boost matches what my ODB2 reader is saying.
  2. Hi Xr6boosted, I can give some more info. I used my mongoose cable and FMP subscription to check this weekend, and it turns out that I have the latest ECU update so there was none available. (annoying because my mate's NA XR got an update and I'm the one who spent all the money getting the gear for it and missed out. :-( I'm going to pull the turbo out soon and see if I can't figure out how to mod the wastegate when I put my new actuator in... and thinking about a snipper tuner with a 10psi tuner until the JTG gas system and custom tune goes on. The snipper at least will get rid of the boost cut out.. and if I blow the engine, it isn't like getting a new block is expensive these days and if I do build a new one up.. I'll put scat rods and nispro springs in while I am doing it. If you are convinced your boost solenoid is to blame, it might be time to pull mine out and test it too..... cleaned mine when I got it, but it didn't seem to make much difference. there is no delay when I put the boot in my car.. if I stop about an inch on the accelerator, the boost jumps up to ten psi really quickly. Need to understand how it works so I can figure out if that means it's blocked or not. I'm starting to wonder if this engine has had work at some stage in its life (like an empty out cat converter) and then the tune it had put back on an sct xcal or something and sold off leaving the car with a factory tune that won't work properly anymore. someone spent 2200 dollars on CSA mags and dunlop tyres not long before I got it so it's not unfeasable that they did some minor engine stuff while they had it too.
  3. Hi all, Think this might be my first post, but I've read many a thread on here. My old EL ghia got T boned by a VZ recently and with the insurance I got a late 04 BA XR6T. It's done 200k but been very well looked after and seems in pretty good nick. It has some issues though and I thought this would be the best place to ask about them. Firstly, the idle is low.. smooth when in neutral but low in drive or reverse. I've taken the BBM (or what passes for it on an xR6T) completely off and put a new intake gasket in.. (covered in hylomar) and also split the BBM and cleaned it.. likewise drowned in hylomar on reassemply.. TB and everything behind it is spotlessly clean and spraying areostart around the intake makes no difference to anything.. this puppy doesn't leak and is shiny silver inside and out. I also put a different TPS on it to see if that helped with the idle but it made no difference that I could tell. (nothing I've done thus far has improved the idle much) The idle is fine (700-750rpm) in park or neutral, even with the aircon on and the steering going back to forth.. but put it in drive or reverse (BTR 4spd) and it drops down to around 500 or lower rpm and although it's never stalled it makes the car shudder a bit and things vibrate and it isn't pleasant. Things I've done so far: 1. New NGK iridium plugs gapped at .75 (these smoothed things out a bit on install.. but not much) 2. shiny new set of plug coils. (not a lot of difference after putting these on) 3. Deleted middle muffler. (lovely note, not much noticable difference otherwise) 4 Second airbox intake. (love the induction note, but not much 5. Swapped TPS. (no difference) The second problem I have is overboost.. I hooked up a OBD2 reader to the android Torque app and put up vacuum/boost guage When the boost hits 10 PSI (which I don't believe it should on a BA XR6T) and engine protection thing kicks in and the car runs like a pig for a bit.. The overboost problem has been happening from the moment I got it.. none of my changes have made any difference. I've ordered a new wastegate actuator but it hasn't arrived yet. I also have a Mongoose and an FMP subscription that should allow me to upgrade my PCM if there is an update available. (I currently have a clone VCM and I've converted to dual zone air and a green/white BEM and done the whole pats reset etc.. all good) Am I missing anything as possible causes for other of the above issues? The other thing I am curious about is that my rear speakers stop out when I put the car in reverse, and come back when I go into any other gear (BTR 4spd) I am ready and funded to put a JTG gas install in it. (and a T56 conversion If I can find one for a reasonable expense, and nispro springs too at some stage.) Does anyone know anyone in Perth who knows his/her way around BA XR6T's and JTG gas installs? many thanks for reading this far and in advance for any advice you can offer. regards Frank Perth WA
×
×
  • Create New...