Ahh a WRX aye...are you meaning just a WRX? Or an STi WRX? If you mean just a WRXm then tell him not to bother, spend the extra $$$ and get an STi. The STi has far more/extra upgrades parts and bits such as forged engine internals, blue printed engine, better ECU, bigger brakes, ball bearing turbo, better suspension, nicer interior and exterior overall. I drove many WRX's and STi's and in the end bought the STi. A 1997 Version 4 STi and I can tell you they handle like on rails, engines are reliable (forged internals in STi) and gearboxes are built like a german brick sh!t house (5spd). I have never driven the new shaped WRX/STi's with the 6spd manual but I've heard they have the same "notchyness" as the 5spd. So your mate can expect the gearbox to be notchy so don't freak thinking its been given a thrashing. Listen for crunches and clunks. STi engines can take a fair amount of abuse, hense their great rally heritage. Just don't be expecting wonderful luxury out of the WRX or STi lol